Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBAN for Domestic transfer

• 02-10-2018 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I am trying to transfer €100.- from my Sligo Ulster Bank to another Bank in Sligo. They have informed me that I need the IBAN Nr. of the other Sligo account. I thought IBANs were for International payments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You thought wrong. All European bank accounts have an IBAN. Its just the unique bank identifier + sort code + account number amalgamated into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lots of banks have an online converter, here's the AIB one, works for any bank account anywhere. 'NSC' is the branch sort code .....

https://aib.ie/personal-forms/bic-iban-converter

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Yes, but I live in UK and the banks do not need IBAN for a Domestic transfer, just Sort code and Acc. Nr.  Also my daughter in Germany tells me it's the same.  And I'm pretty sure it was the same when I was in Ireland 4 years ago. How many people know their IBAN , not many I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

seanoge wrote: »
    Yes, but I live in UK and the banks do not need IBAN for a Domestic transfer, just Sort code and Acc. Nr.  Also my daughter in Germany tells me it's the same.  And I'm pretty sure it was the same when I was in Ireland 4 years ago. How many people know their IBAN , not many I bet.

Your IBAN is your account number and sort code amalgamated. You can see it on your online banking and on any bank statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

UK banks behind the rest of Europe?? Shock horror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Assuming you know the SortCode/Account Number of where you want to send the money to, you can use the online tools other have quoted to get the IBAN. If the staff in UB Sligo were in any way helpfully, they could/should have told you this, and assisted you in doing so.

If you do not have the bank details of the account you are sernding money to, even the UK banking system could not help you.

The requirement for IBAN for domestic transfers is recent (2/3 years maybe). Some companies have not fully upgraded to support it. Thier back office system still take in the NSC/Account No, and convert it on the fly to IBAN as required, which it way they cannot always handle foreign euro accounts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Every single bank in the EU and that includes the UK, just in case, have to have an IBAN for every single account without exception. In some countries it is still possible to use A/C + Sort Code + Account Name, that is true, but still everything must work via IBAN as well.

In the case of the UK, so banks deliberately make it difficult to find and operate a via an IBAN because of restrictions of fee opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

seanoge wrote:
    How many people know their IBAN , not many I bet.
    It's one of the first things that pop up when you log into internet banking. As people have said, it's mainly your sort code, account number and the bank code. I'm guessing most people would know their account and sort code?

Advertisement