Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Radar down

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

that's what I was going to mention .... plenty of overlapping coverage between Mt Gabriel, Shannon and that radar in Mayo.. Even Dublin would cover some of the enroute stuff .. to about Kilkenny if not further south.

Network failure or Radar Data Processing issue I'd say.

Edit: didn't see faoiarvok's post, was replying to the previous one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Software doesn't usually just fail randomly like that. It's most likely to fail just after being updated though. If it was truly a random happening, then my money is on some hardware component that has failed.

Apparently, they still don't know the cause of the problem, reported on radio this morning.

Also, some interesting details here:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/chaos-in-the-air-as-radar-fails-873174.html
    One source in ATC told the Irish Examiner staff at Shannon had been “repeatedly told” that the system “could never fail”.

“We were told this could never happen,” the source said.
    Naive to make a claim like that, and to believe it. I don't know how new the system is, because new systems would be more vulnerable to software failures as well.

More info in this RTE report which suggests the system is new and "frequently updated". In that case, it is likely that the cause is an inadequately tested software update. One wonders why is it being updated so regularly?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1003/1000587-irish-air-space/

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

plodder wrote: »
    Apparently, they still don't know the cause of the problem, reported on radio this morning.

What station/programme?

faoiarvok wrote: »
    What station/programme?
    Morning Ireland. (RTE 1)

Updated statement from the IAA

https://www.iaa.ie/news/2018/10/04/irish-aviation-authority-update-on-technical-issue-11-30---04-october

I see the backup system is a replica of the primary system. I hope it's not running identical software though. Or at least, they wait a considerable time before updating the backup after updating the primary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Tow

That are the odds it was a Microsoft Windows Update...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »

The system doesn't run on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

plodder wrote: »
    Updated statement from the IAA

https://www.iaa.ie/news/2018/10/04/irish-aviation-authority-update-on-technical-issue-11-30---04-october

I see the backup system is a replica of the primary system. I hope it's not running identical software though. Or at least, they wait a considerable time before updating the backup after updating the primary..

They are actually running a newer version of the software.

They have other redundancy systems if the normal backups fail and that's what they went to initially when live and main backup went down.

ShRT wrote: »
    They are actually running a newer version of the software.

They have other redundancy systems if the normal backups fail and that's what they went to initially when live and main backup went down.
    Ouch. If that was the case, it's easier to understand why airspace was shutdown for a number of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

And what do you base that on?

• Advertisement

patch Tuesday is next week :-D

the report doesn't specifty which system... ARTAS ? FPDS? both?

arccosh wrote: »
    patch Tuesday is next week :-D
    shudder..

whatever platform it's built on (eg Linux, IBM etc), it's very unlikely that operating system updates are just installed directly from the internet :pac:

I was reading a bit about COOPANS which is the same system used in five different countries including Ireland. They say the same build is used across all centres, but I guess they don't update them all at the same time. Does Shannon get it first maybe?

judging by the timing, I'm going to guess it wasn't an update, as they are usually done after midnight ... or if it was, it was a bug introduced from the previous night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Tow

And what do you base that on?

I believe CAIRDE 2000 is Linux based, but it is basically a computer network with many different interconnected systems. They don't know the cause (or claim not to), but it would be a typical failure if the likes of a Windows based DHCP Server decided to load a large update, and another critical component decided to renew it's lease during the same period. This is just speculation, it fits the symptoms of the published information.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

CAIRDE 2000
    That's a blast from the past.

I believe CAIRDE 2000 is Linux based, but it is basically a computer network with many different interconnected systems. They don't know the cause (or claim not to), but it would be a typical failure if the likes of a Windows based DHCP Server decided to load a large update, and another critical component decided to renew it's lease during the same period. This is just speculation, it fits the symptoms of the published information.

COOPANS is the system in use, and the IAA statement above confirms the issue has been identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

but it would be a typical failure if the likes of a Windows based DHCP Server decided to load a large update, and another critical component decided to renew it's lease during the same period.

You have no idea how DHCP works if you think that'l a plausible explanation.
    This is just speculation,

Ah, now I understand... :rolleyes:
    it fits the symptoms of the published information.

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Any update on root cause of this incident?

Advertisement