Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

14567810»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

The smell in the house yesterday after all the baking.. unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My 14 year old son had a go at making a Yule Log and it's delicious!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

That looks absolutely amazing! Has he baked much before or is he just naturally gifted?

B0jangles wrote: »
    That looks absolutely amazing! Has he baked much before or is he just naturally gifted?

I'll pass on the comment, he'll be delighted. He's made a few things from his home economics book at home but this was his first attempt at a recipe from elsewhere. He often helps his sister who loves baking though.

He was properly pleased with it. Tastes lovely too.

I'll pass on the comment, he'll be delighted. He's made a few things from his home economics book at home but this was his first attempt at a recipe from elsewhere. He often helps his sister who loves baking though.

He was properly pleased with it. Tastes lovely too.

Please do - I'd be absolutely thrilled with myself if I managed to make one that looked even close to as neat and perfectly shaped as that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That looks amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

This year I decided to make a Bailys cheesecake for Christmas instead of getting the usual Christmas pudding. I haven't made it for years and made the mistake of mentioning that I was making one to my brother so I ended up making two. I didn't realise the food processor had broken until I switched it on to crush the biscuits so I ended up using a hand blender to crush them. I thought I'd bought too much Philadelphia but the recipe quantities I found online were far too small so I ended up doubling up. There's a lot more than a shot of Bailys in them, a heart attack in a tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Wow. Very impressive. He should be very proud of his achievement.

Makes me hungry for a slice.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Wow. Very impressive. He should be very proud of his achievement.

Makes me hungry for a slice.

Thanks, I think he is quite proud, though teenage lads tend to be monosyllabic in response to anything!

I finally got the cake iced!

qcLVeCU.jpg

Beware eurogiant icing bags - the one I got exploded the first time I used it, like a seam gone and a hole appeared in the side - total, complete collapse.

• Advertisement

I finally got the cake iced!

qcLVeCU.jpg

Beware eurogiant icing bags - the one I got exploded the first time I used it, like a seam gone and a hole appeared in the side - total, complete collapse.
    You think that's bad, I turned on the Lidl food processor I bought in in January last year and never used, turns out it doesn't work so that was a waste of money. Note to self, don't buy any more electrical products in Lidl. Your cake looks great.

[/B]You think that's bad, I turned on the Lidl food processor I bought in in January last year and never used, turns out it doesn't work so that was a waste of money. Note to self, don't buy any more electrical products in Lidl. Your cake looks great.

Oh no - what a massive pain in the proverbial :mad: Any idea what's wrong, like any chance at all that it's just a bad fuse?

edit: also - thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Lidl are very good at exchanging/ getting a refund. No quibbles.

Oh no - what a massive pain in the proverbial :mad: Any idea what's wrong, like any chance at all that it's just a bad fuse?

edit: also - thank you!
    I ended up crushing the biscuits with a hand blender which was really frustrating, the worst part was when I'd eaten a slice the next day I got a massive headache and remembered that I don't usually eat cream cheese because it gives me a headache.

I think worse than that was hearing my husband on the phone to his mum discussing Christmas day and making it sound(unintentionally) that we didn't get a Christmas cake or pudding because I'm not really into them. We said we wouldn't get a pudding this year because most of it gets thrown out and we haven't made or bought a Christmas cake for years for the same reason. It was because he didn't want pudding and specifically asked me to make the Bailys cheesecake that we didn't get the pudding. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cheesecake is my one serious omission this year! How on earth did I omit it!

My greatest success was my improvised trifle! Had no cake in for the base; packet of ginger biscuits fell out of the cupboard... ( I never put fruit in the base) … Custard then double cream. Simple... utterly delicious and all gone! I have more biscuits and jelly and custard but no cream.. maybe my home made cream liqueur..... mmm....

I ended up crushing the biscuits with a hand blender which was really frustrating, the worst part was when I'd eaten a slice the next day I got a massive headache and remembered that I don't usually eat cream cheese because it gives me a headache.

I think worse than that was hearing my husband on the phone to his mum discussing Christmas day and making it sound(unintentionally) that we didn't get a Christmas cake or pudding because I'm not really into them. We said we wouldn't get a pudding this year because most of it gets thrown out and we haven't made or bought a Christmas cake for years for the same reason. It was because he didn't want pudding and specifically asked me to make the Bailys cheesecake that we didn't get the pudding. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Even though I own several electrical implements that would process biscuits I always crush mine in a plastic bag with a rolling pin and then roll over the bits while still in the bag to get crumbs.

But on another note I bought an electric carving knife in Lidl just before Christmas as my old 20+ yrs one gave up, the blades kept coming loose. Anyway the stupid thing wouldn't cut butter! Not a hope would it cut meat, flimsy blades that were not even firm when inserted and the blades just kind of made crumbs of the meat rather than slicing through it. Had to resort to normal carving knife which did a much better job, it's true they don't make things like they used to!

phormium wrote: »
    Even though I own several electrical implements that would process biscuits I always crush mine in a plastic bag with a rolling pin and then roll over the bits while still in the bag to get crumbs.

But on another note I bought an electric carving knife in Lidl just before Christmas as my old 20+ yrs one gave up, the blades kept coming loose. Anyway the stupid thing wouldn't cut butter! Not a hope would it cut meat, flimsy blades that were not even firm when inserted and the blades just kind of made crumbs of the meat rather than slicing through it. Had to resort to normal carving knife which did a much better job, it's true they don't make things like they used to!
    When I'd make the cheesecakes years ago I'd always crush them in a bag but since I hadn't used the food processor before(I bought it last January) I thought I'd try it out, I really shouldn't have used the hand blender but it worked. I forgot cream cheese gives me a thumping headache, until after I'd eaten a slice, anyway I'd better bin the leftovers because my husband is gradually working his way through it.

Advertisement