Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the buses causing the traffic problems in Galway?

Options
  • 02-10-2018 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this the other day as the traffic around Parkmore and Doughiska has never been worse in the mornings since the new Bus Service came in. (I think it's the 401 service). With all these buses constantly stopping on the routes in and out of Parkmore the traffic is constantly held up. And without the required bus lanes all the way to their destination all traffic in and out of the City are suffering because of the multiple stops in short proximity to each other ?
    Are there too many bus stops ? I think on Doughiska road alone there must be 5 or 6 in the space of 500-600 meters ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya it's definitely the buses, not the thousands of single driver cars!! Counted 18/20 of these on Monivea Rd in traffic this evening. And that in just a very short stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One extra bus an hour has made the traffic worse? Yeah, right ....

Actually its two per hour, there's an extra 409 an hour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well the reason for my post is based off the traffic cause which is mainly one car (bus in this case) stopping causing all other cars to stop too. the addition of more buses will causes this effect even more seeing as they are all on the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

But a bus is effectively 10+ cars stuck together moving in complete unison. They accelerate together, slow together, break, turn, indicate, etc.. There's a single driver so no lag in reaction times between first and last person . Plus in my experience, bus drivers don't hang around so no sitting at traffic lights while the driver at the front checks their Instagram. They're also extremely predictable in their movement. It's effectively what your video is describing but real and working today.

• Advertisement

The lack of bus infrastructure is definitely an issue, bus lanes, priority at lights, etc

However, maybe this will help show why buses are not the problem. Its the same number of people, just split between the various modes of transport and indicating which mode is the most efficient in terms of space

6a00d83454714d69e2017d3c37d8ac970c-800wi

No such thing as too many busses.

Park in Oranmore & get the train lazy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The lack of bus infrastructure is definitely an issue, bus lanes, priority at lights, etc

However, maybe this will help show why buses are not the problem. Its the same number of people, just split between the various modes of transport and indicating which mode is the most efficient in terms of space

6a00d83454714d69e2017d3c37d8ac970c-800wi
    I've always thought that image was lacking in ambition. It has no regard for adding a third dimension to things.

motorcycle-police-in-pyramid-in-july-4th-parade-pacific-palisades-AM24M1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Robbo wrote: »

motorcycle-police-in-pyramid-in-july-4th-parade-pacific-palisades-AM24M1.jpg
    It's equal parts CH'Ps, Village people and "Bring out the Gimp"

Advertisement