Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work placement teacher screwed me over

• 03-10-2018 4:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

This is a long rant but Id really appreciate suggestions.

I recently finished my art teacher training in may, while in college I was in placement in Youthreach.

I was working with the art teacher all year an hour and a half a week, he was nice and very supportive in the beginning but didnt want me doing much work with the group. For my hours to count I had to do exam subjects with the students but he told me it wouldnt be possible and the learners arent able, he lied about the exam requirements and said there wearnt any suitable for the group, I had to push for it otherwise id fail placement. He said he had to get one specially made and tried to make me feel guilty - I was studying curriculum and assessment in my course and knew this was a lie.

It became obvious within the first week that he didnt do any work with the students, he had no qualifications and handed students some paper and pencils then sat at his desk or chatted to other staff who would wander in.

I noticed when other staff would come in his attitude towards me would change and he'd tell me to start cleaning up -even though there was time left in the class. I remained very friendly and just did what he asked.

The students really enjoyed the exam projects and got nearly a full years work done in 4 months in 1.30 hour a week classes, they were very capable, I got on extremely well with them and got A's in my teaching practice exams with this group. Over time the art teacher got increasingly annoyed at my presence and made a comment about wanting his classes to go back to normal.

The center had hardly any art supplies so I asked if I could buy some materials as I was funding supplies myself and I didnt have allot of money.
    Eventually the coordinator asked me to send him a list of materials I needed and he'd pass them on to the art teacher to order. The materials never turned up and after a few weeks the coordinator asked if I got them which I responded that I hadnt.
    One day the art teacher wasnt in and I had the group on my own, I was looking for paper and searching the room when I found a hidden stash of brand new materials - he had bought the materials but kept them all for himself, knowing that I was spending my own money on art materials for the class which he was also using.

Placement finished and the coordinator asked me if id be interested in staying on after the Summer break to finish the exam projects which I was happy to do so I left my materials in the art room thinking id be coming back in a few weeks.

When I came back in the art teacher was having none of it, he told the coordinator none of the work the students did with me could be used as the exam guidelines had been updated (another lie) he told the art teacher to email me the new guidelines which of course he didnt. I didnt push, left it alone. My materials were still in the art room, I dont have a car and theres allot of stuff so needed to wait until I could get someone with a car. Eventually got back in to get my stuff only to discover the art teacher threw everything away, I had loads of art books, lesson plans etc, he threw out everything. Is there anything I can do? Im so annoyed, I gave my heart and soul to that placement and feel like ive been screwed over big time.

Any advice or suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

This is a long rant but Id really appreciate suggestions.

I recently finished my art teacher training in may, while in college I was in placement in Youthreach.

I was working with the art teacher all year an hour and a half a week, he was nice and very supportive in the beginning but didnt want me doing much work with the group. For my hours to count I had to do exam subjects with the students but he told me it wouldnt be possible and the learners arent able, he lied about the exam requirements and said there wearnt any suitable for the group, I had to push for it otherwise id fail placement. He said he had to get one specially made and tried to make me feel guilty - I was studying curriculum and assessment in my course and knew this was a lie.

It became obvious within the first week that he didnt do any work with the students, he had no qualifications and handed students some paper and pencils then sat at his desk or chatted to other staff who would wander in.

I noticed when other staff would come in his attitude towards me would change and he'd tell me to start cleaning up -even though there was time left in the class. I remained very friendly and just did what he asked.

The students really enjoyed the exam projects and got nearly a full years work done in 4 months in 1.30 hour a week classes, they were very capable, I got on extremely well with them and got A's in my teaching practice exams with this group. Over time the art teacher got increasingly annoyed at my presence and made a comment about wanting his classes to go back to normal.

The center had hardly any art supplies so I asked if I could buy some materials as I was funding supplies myself and I didnt have allot of money.
    Eventually the coordinator asked me to send him a list of materials I needed and he'd pass them on to the art teacher to order. The materials never turned up and after a few weeks the coordinator asked if I got them which I responded that I hadnt.
    One day the art teacher wasnt in and I had the group on my own, I was looking for paper and searching the room when I found a hidden stash of brand new materials - he had bought the materials but kept them all for himself, knowing that I was spending my own money on art materials for the class which he was also using.

Placement finished and the coordinator asked me if id be interested in staying on after the Summer break to finish the exam projects which I was happy to do so I left my materials in the art room thinking id be coming back in a few weeks.

When I came back in the art teacher was having none of it, he told the coordinator none of the work the students did with me could be used as the exam guidelines had been updated (another lie) he told the art teacher to email me the new guidelines which of course he didnt. I didnt push, left it alone. My materials were still in the art room, I dont have a car and theres allot of stuff so needed to wait until I could get someone with a car. Eventually got back in to get my stuff only to discover the art teacher threw everything away, I had loads of art books, lesson plans etc, he threw out everything. Is there anything I can do? Im so annoyed, I gave my heart and soul to that placement and feel like ive been screwed over big time.

Any advice or suggestions welcome

What you describe is wholly unprofessional on the part of the art teacher.

If I were you I would write a formal letter to the Youthreach Coordinator outlining your experience. I would also write to the ETB (Director of Schools in that ETB) also outlining your experience. Indicate the gravity of what has happened (to your potential career) in your letter and request a response.

I would also outline your experience to your college in detail.

I hope you get some resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Razorfish wrote: »
    What you describe is wholly unprofessional on the part of the art teacher.

If I were you I would write a formal letter to the Youthreach Coordinator outlining your experience. I would also write to the ETB (Director of Schools in that ETB) also outlining your experience. Indicate the gravity of what has happened (to your potential career) in your letter and request a response.

I would also outline your experience to your college in detail.

I hope you get some resolution.

Thanks Razorfish, I dont want to do that, Id rather not make a mountain out of the whole thing especially since im a new teacher, I dont want to draw attention to myself, he's been working in the center for years and is very good friends with people high up in the local ETB, I dont want to rock the boat, im finding it hard enough to get a job as it is. When I was working with him he would occasionally bring up other teachers that subbed fro him or worked with him in the past and although he wouldn't name names he spoke very badly of them, he also spoke badly of the coordinator and often told me that he hated his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. You won’t be rocking any boats that don’t need rocking.
    2. This isn’t not a molehill. It’s more towards the mountain end of the spectrum as regards the effect it’s having on you and your professional development.
    3. His screwups aren’t your problem.
    4. At some point in your teaching career you will inevitably have to stand your ground to avoid being shafted. Best start now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why leave all your stuff in such a hostile environment where you (surely) knew that this guy would shaft you at the earliest opp. He clearly can’t do the job and isn’t qualified and likely got the job via pull or nepotism.
    Lesson learned hopefully that you stand up for yourself and don’t allow people undermine you like this.
    Often in life if you allow yourself to be a doormat then you will be. Buying art supplies out of own cash for instance is nuts- why not go to the Principal or whoever looks after such things and discuss that first before buying it? With arseholes the best approach is usually bypassing them particularly in a scenario like this where he had no interest in what you’re doing.

Advertisement