Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally area - Flooding?

• 03-10-2018 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

We are interested in a property at Corbally. Price is good and close to city. But I wonder if Corbally area is prone to flooding? Especially the area close to the river bank? Could it be reason why properties are slightly cheaper in that area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Can you give an idea of the location in Corbally you are looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Near to Corbally Nursing home.
    Can you give an idea of the location in Corbally you are looking at?

Homes in Brookhaven & Spring Grove have never flooded, Siul na hAbhainn, I haven't heard of any flooding, Silverbrook I think a handful very close to the river may have been affected in the past in a minor way but not 100% sure, beyond the nursing home right down at the river's edge on the left hand side I think did during the very worst of the bad weather
    Generally speaking, the Mill rd doesn't suffer from flooding, I've lived down there since 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have a friend with a house facing the river, they have a flood mud wall of sorts. They've never been flooded in 14 years. They're in Siúl Na hAbhann.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Mill road tends not to flood as the banks on the other side of the river (long pavement) are lower and therefore the fields along the long pavement take the excess flood water, Only places that flood in corbally is in behind st marys school, the petrol station at grove island and house on the banks in the shannon banks estate but there has been flood barriers put in there. You could ring a home insurance broker and they could give you info on whether the house is a genuine flood risk or not.

• Advertisement

Here's a thread from a few years ago
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057403248

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Id be more worried about traffic ....very frustrating place to live and commute from.

Thanks all. Found this website from old thread and it's very useful.

http://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/

Going to do more research on Siul na hAbhainn. The houses there are C energy rated. So need to spare 10-15k for a newer insulation.

Is it really bad in mornings like 8.30? Any other cons live there?
    Id be more worried about traffic ....very frustrating place to live and commute from.

I mostly travel outside of the rush hour(s) so it doesn't really affect me too much but it is bad enough inbound on the Corbally road, 8am onwards until you get to Patrick Street, out of town in the evenings while slow enough, isn't as bad, it frees up after the Mill rd junction & that applies to all of Corbally, not just the Mill rd

Had to drive on Tuesday morning 8am from Mill rd into town, out the dock road, up onto the motorway back intowards UL, took me just over an hour, dock rd/Condell junction was jammers as was Ballysimon , Northern Trust to Groody / UL was dire

• Advertisement

Is it really bad in mornings like 8.30? Any other cons live there?

It's bedlam up around Scoil Ide & slow into town by car at that time, you'd cycle it quicker, you'd walk it quicker from O'Driscolls / Hook & Ladder at that time but other than that we like it down here, grand & quiet, good schools within walking distance, city centre is walking distance too, nice river walk out to UL takes 30/40 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

On the other hand, one of the most pleasant (and quickest) commutes you'll find anywhere in Ireland is along the river path to Castletroy.
    Had to drive on Tuesday morning 8am from Mill rd into town, out the dock road, up onto the motorway back intowards UL, took me just over an hour, dock rd/Condell junction was jammers as was Ballysimon , Northern Trust to Groody / UL was dire

It may not suit you, but this route is a leisurely 18 minutes by bike (Mill Road to Northern Trust), most of it completely away from traffic on segregrated cycle lanes.

zulutango wrote: »
    It may not suit you, but this route is a leisurely 18 minutes by bike (Mill Road to Northern Trust), most of it completely away from traffic on segregrated cycle lanes.

Afraid not, that morning was on a school run & then on to work in Castletroy but the path from Corbally to UL is a great amenity for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think historically the only flooding in that area was Shannon Banks and Westbury.
    But Westbury is now protected.
    Open to correction but SB may still be vulnerable to future floods.

Siúl na hAbhann per se has never, ever flooded since the estate was first built. There is a protective bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

topper75 wrote: »
    I think historically the only flooding in that area was Shannon Banks and Westbury.
    But Westbury is now protected.
    Open to correction but SB may still be vulnerable to future floods.

Siúl na hAbhann per se has never, ever flooded since the estate was first built. There is a protective bank.

I wouldnt put much security in depending on any bank thats there to protect Suil na hAbhann, any of the lower parts of that Estate could in future be at risk, Top parts of it all ok any lower areas always at risk, first significant flooding in Mill Rd area happened approx 20yrs ago, lower part down by footbridge the ducks etc. since then its become more common and has occured a number of times since and more frequently too, so if the trend was to continue it may reach lower lying Suil houses.

Same applies to lower areas of Shannon Banks, westbury in my opinion should continue to be ok as its just above the tidal zone for the shannon.

The problem with flooding in this particular area which unfortunately seems to go unnotticed by the powers that be is its affected by a combination of three things falling in line.
    1- High Tides 2- High Flooding in Shannon Basin 3- High Westerly to South Westerly Winds, you get those altogether it floods that lower area of the Mill Rd.

any 2 combination of the three is fine, you get all three its trouble,

thats when ESB Ardnacrusha can help by reducing flow, which contradicts there basic plan when Shannon Basin is flooding to release greater amounts down thru Limerick.

Besided all that, Great place to live if you survive the traffic

Thanks everyone.

I've received a PM highlighting that this area is considered under flood risk. So this property is out of our list now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Would you mind me asking what No. you where looking at, I'm from Mill Rd., will be able to to tell you if at risk !

Edit:-

Only one I can see listed is No.1 at the moment, No Risk of flooding at that property or if it did ever flood, it
    would be of such biblical proportions god help the whole city/country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

BobMc wrote: »
    I wouldnt put much security in depending on any bank thats there to protect Suil na hAbhann, any of the lower parts of that Estate could in future be at risk,

Nothing is impossible yes, if that is what you are saying.

However, if I can invite you to retreat with me back into the world of reasonable probability, consider this 2009 shot of the Black Bridge upstream of Corbally....

plassey-2_resize.jpg?w=500&h=333

The estate wasn't affected then. In fact, not ever in its history. We can deem the bank secure.

Advertisement