Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Thermostat yoke.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Soarer wrote: »
    I asked them about the comfort pack and the extra Nest, and they said no joy.

So it looks like you got lucky.

Thats very strange I talked to a few people and they were fine with it.

You should call again and see if you get a different answer haha

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Soarer wrote: »
    Another day, another quandary!

I'm wondering if I'm not starting at the start, but somewhere in the middle? The end game is a fairly automated house, including heating, lighting, plugs, etc.

So I guess, should I be looking at Google Home, Alexa, etc. to see which one of them is best/user friendly, has the best app, etc.? And then, once that's settled, get whatever peripherals suit?

I think a lot of us have come at this from different directions, depending on our needs and slowly built up.

Thinking about it, I think my first smart home/IoT devices was a Harmony remote and hub, followed by a Hue lamp and hub and then a Netatmo Thermostat.

Google Home for me came relatively later, partly because it wasn't available at the time.

Smart Thermostat is I think a good starting point and I often recommend it as a starting point, because I think almost everyone, even if they aren't techy or into HA, can still benefit from it greatly.

However Google Home is also a good bet, specially if you like listening to music and have a Spotfiy or Google Music sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I use Google Music (not subscribed, ~800 CDs ripped and matched) to feed Chromecasts on every audio source in the house but I'm still a bit antsy about actually getting a Google Home based on their data slurping habits. Actually let a 'free' one with a new phone go unclaimed a while ago. How bad are they in reality?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

L1011 wrote: »
    How bad are they in reality?

Well they work very well if that is what you mean.

If you are worried about privacy, it only records and uploads audio for a few seconds after the "Hey Google" command. It isn't uploading all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Well that's me onto the slippery slope.

Today the postie left me...
    2no. Smart GU10
    1no. Smart E27
    2no. Echo Dots
    8no. Smart Sockets

Also have a couple of Nests on the way.

Hope the kids don't want much for Christmas!

• Advertisement
Advertisement