Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 3.0 20-Pin Female to 2x USB 3.0 20-Pin Male Y Adapter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The splitter would work, but you would only be able to use your front USB OR your card reader at any given time. Adding an additional USB3 header via PCI-E would probably be a better option: https://www.amazon.co.uk/express-controller-external-internal-interface/dp/B00VE6KHB6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1538562053&sr=8-13&keywords=pcie+usb+3.0+card+internal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Xenoronin wrote: »
    The splitter would work, but you would only be able to use your front USB OR your card reader at any given time. Adding an additional USB3 header via PCI-E would probably be a better option: https://www.amazon.co.uk/express-controller-external-internal-interface/dp/B00VE6KHB6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1538562053&sr=8-13&keywords=pcie+usb+3.0+card+internal

Would any damage be done if both USB`s had something in them?

To my knowledge, they probably would interfere with each other as the computer has no way to know that you have split the header. Are there no free PCI-E slots on the motherboard?

To quote this guy from a Toms Hardware thread on this topic
    DO NOT use these - UNLESS you only use one of the ports at a time. Plugging a device (type 2 or 3) in both ports will mess you up.
    1) Both devices will try to signal the host as to type of device connected.
    2) Both usb devices will try to ID themselves over the same port (this will really confuse the OS as to WHAT is plugged in.).
    3) IF the stupid Y cable split out the two pair of superspeed channels then neither port will work at superspeed (ignoring all the OTHER electrical signaling problems) because superspeed requires BOTH channels to function. And when that failed, the mobo & devices will try to fall back to the original single usb 2 channel with it's pull-up resistor signaling. Where again two devices with interfere with each other.
    TOTAL FAIL. !!

To my knowledge, they probably would interfere with each other as the computer has no way to know that you have split the header. Are there no free PCI-E slots on the motherboard?

To quote this guy from a Toms Hardware thread on this topic

I remember seeing that post, does`nt hurt to get multiple opinions.

I`m pretty sure I`ve a free slot...

lewis wrote: »
    I remember seeing that post, does`nt hurt to get multiple opinions.

I`m pretty sure I`ve a free slot...

I've finally gotten around to ordering the PCI card, now I thought it was just a plug and play, but it didn't come with a power connector... I've had a look it my power supply box, cause it came with loads of connections, but I don't know which to use, or if I can use any of them...

• Advertisement

You need one of these. It's called a molex connector. Your PSU almost certainly has some.

220px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

You need one of these. It's called a molex connector. Your PSU almost certainly has some.

220px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

This is the power supply that I got with my pc... https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DPCwrH/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm..
    I tried what looked like a molex connection from my power supply box, when I turned on the PC there was a electrical pop, I straight away switched the PC off.. (thinking I fried my motherboard) turned pc back on, with pci card out, it boots up like normal, but my keyboard isn't working, there's lights on it, I've tried different ports, but it ain't typing...

That definitely sounds like you've shorted something on the motherboard. I don't know what you plugged in but it might have been wrong, or maybe just a bad coincidence. That PSU definitely came with molex connectors btw.

614yDgDNqcL._SL1280_.jpg

If no other devices work from the USB ports, something might be wrong with a USB controller or something. It'd need a professional to fix I think.

I tried this one...

I've switched around other peripherals and the all work like normal, tried the keyboard in other ports and nothing, even though the lights are on, on the keyboard.

Looks right i think. If it is just the keyboard... maybe it was just a weird coincidence that the keyboard failed...

• Advertisement

There's mixed opinions as to weather its powered by the motherboard or the power supply.

I'd only have the likes of the keyboard and mouse plugged into it. I think I might try it again without the Molex, at first it didn't work.

Edit: I've tried every combination with this card and it's not working, I'm only assuming that the motherboard can power it.
    Also my PC will start up, shut down, 2 times before it actually starts up, this is a first.

Me thinks this card doesn't like me..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That pop is not a good sign. It could be a capacitor went pop or a direct short which is bad when dealing with low power units in a PC.

Have a look around areas you messed with like the connection point you plugged in. There should be a bit of black burn marks if it was a direct short.

Also regarding the PC booting up twice remove the PCI card you bought and cables you connected up and see if PC will start and work as normal.

Regarding what can power the PCI card. A direct connection to the PSU would work best.

That pop is not a good sign. It could be a capacitor went pop or a direct short which is bad when dealing with low power units in a PC.

Have a look around areas you messed with like the connection point you plugged in. There should be a bit of black burn marks if it was a direct short.

Also regarding the PC booting up twice remove the PCI card you bought and cables you connected up and see if PC will start and work as normal.

The PC boots up fine when the PCI card is out, I got a cheap new keyboard and that works fine, yet my previous one still doesn't.

I did notice two slight blue marks on the connection on the PCI card, just in the inner part, the USB 3 header is blue coloured.

I tried two slots, is it possible that it's not compatible with my motherboard, or my motherboard has to much connected on it??

What I thought was a simple install, turns out to be a pain and possibly damaged some part of the motherboard... :(

Any link to the PCI card you bought?

I seen that in the second post alright but I just wanted to make sure.

I seen that in the second post alright but I just wanted to make sure.

Yeah it was the one linked above...

That pop you heard is not a good sign. At least you did not take out the motherboard as they are expensive.

You may have blown something no actually you did blow something as the pop does not happen by itself.

Also get power direct from the PSU. Also no other connection will plug into that molex connection but you can with enough force plug it in the wrong way. But that would be a good bit of force as they are designed with the curve on on side to prevent someone plugging it in the wrong way.

That pop you heard is not a good sign. At least you did not take out the motherboard as they are expensive.

You may have blown something no actually you did blow something as the pop does not happen by itself.

Also get power direct from the PSU. Also no other connection will plug into that molex connection but you can with enough force plug it in the wrong way. But that would be a good bit of force as they are designed with the curve on on side to prevent someone plugging it in the wrong way.

My PC is working as normal now that I replaced the keyboard.. The only thing that I noticed that was not working was my old keyboard.

So my best option is to power it from the PSU, so what kind should I get for my PSU and PCI card?

• Advertisement

Well this step is not needed but since you shorted something already.

Remove the PCI card and then on the table go through the cables that came with PSU and find the correct one that plugs into the PCI card it is a molex connection but you do not know what that is so do what I said. Do this while the cables are not connected to PSU. Once you find the correct one install in to PSU and motherboard. It should work then.

Well this step is not needed but since you shorted something already.

Remove the PCI card and then on the table go through the cables that came with PSU and find the correct one that plugs into the PCI card it is a molex connection but you do not know what that is so do what I said. Do this while the cables are not connected to PSU. Once you find the correct one install in to PSU and motherboard. It should work then.

Luck must be on my side, but the PCI card is working now, no reboots, no pops and its powering my keyboard and mouse... Pretty sure I didn't do anything different.

Either way I'm glad it's working now, thanks for the info and advice folks, much appreciated.

Advertisement