Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Giant Hybrid bike

Options
  • 03-10-2018 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

Am looking for some advice please, currently cycle a Giant Hybrid TCX, have had it for 5 years, love it but it's a hybrid bike and I mainly cycle roads. I'm looking for a recommendation for a good entry level type road bike max budget prob about 1600 euro. Was looking at some of the Meridas but don't really know enough about them, tempted to stay with Giant because I love my current bike, would really value some opinions on brands and what I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

1600 is going to get you a better than entry level road bike. With 2019 models around now, there are good deals to be got on 2018 stock that shops still have.
    If you want to stick with Giant, there is a Giant store on Longmile Road

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie

Halfords carry Boardman bikes, which are good for the money and your local bike shop may have different brands with decent deals.

If you are buying off the internet, Canyon and Rose are both good brands with hard-to-beat pricing. They are popular on this site with my personal preference being Rose.

There's a lot of choice at this price so make sure you do research. Online is good, but going into shops and asking is always good as well. Just go into more than one shop to get a few different ideas - some shops might push certain items they need to shift instead of giving the best thing for you - so fore-warned is fore-armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

You won't go too far wrong with a 2018 end of line bike. There are some good discounts at this time of the year as the new stock comes in. e.g. Giant Defy Advanced 2 €1600 down from 2000. Worth shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This time last year, I got a 2017 TCR Advanced in my lbs (Harrys). I went for the Ultegra Advanced 1, which was just over your budget, but the Advanced 2 with 105 would've been below. They're doing the same deals for 2018 models I noticed (with limited sizes same as last year), so they have the advanced 2 at 1500 but only in a large (they have the advanced 1 in a medium).

The TCR Advanced was at least one of the website/ magazines bike of the year for this year as a good all rounder.

Advertisement