Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY alarm, what are the rules?

Options
  • 03-10-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

For background, I'm not a messer, have plenty of experience years ago maintaining analogue and digital systems (data transmission) and also wiring of same.

I installed my wired house alarm years ago (80's) and over time extended and upgraded it. Last update was about 8 years ago, installed a new panel. I never put it on the insurance as it has no maintenance contract (I can usually fix problems myself).

Anyway, I'm thinking of replacing the system with something modern, but in recent years I've seen references to new regulations about who can work on alarm systems. Would I be prevented from upgrading my own house alarm by these regulations?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, you are completely free to do whatever you like in your own home, with your own system.

Just don't include it on the insurance. Insurance will require it to be installed by a PSA certified installer and maintained yearly by them. All you might lose out on is a bit of discount from the insurance, which you are most likely going to make back anywhere in DIYing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi BK,

thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

I've never considered using the alarm for a discount for a second reason : a fear that if I ever forget to activate it and get unlucky enough to be broken into at such a time, the insurance might use that to wriggle out of paying.

Conscious that this forum is for professionals (from what I've seen), my motivation isn't to deprive people of a livelihood. More that I enjoy such tinkering and would hate to have it taken from me by an Act of the Oireachtas :D.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've never considered using the alarm for a discount for a second reason : a fear that if I ever forget to activate it and get unlucky enough to be broken into at such a time, the insurance might use that to wriggle out of paying.

Yup, I recommend to family and friends not to put even professionally installed and maintained systems on insurance for exactly that reason. A 10% saving isn't worth the risk IMO.

In the real world, lots of folks forget to use their alarm system day to day IME.
    Conscious that this forum is for professionals (from what I've seen), my motivation isn't to deprive people of a livelihood. More that I enjoy such tinkering and would hate to have it taken from me by an Act of the Oireachtas :D.

There are lots of great professionals on this forum, who often give their time to helping folks with their systems, but it isn't only for pro's, it is for DIYers too who like to tinker.

BTW I'm a DIYer myself and not a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Conscious that this forum is for professionals (from what I've seen), my motivation isn't to deprive people of a livelihood. More that I enjoy such tinkering and would hate to have it taken from me by an Act of the Oireachtas .

Nick it is not a forum for professionals alone

It is a splinter forum from the electrical forum that is a splitter forum from the DIY forum.

You are free to work in your own system in your own home

Many installers will advise that you forget about the discount too

I've never taken it

I will say one thing though. I would always advise someone to use a professional if the price is right and they are well recommended

That's just my opinion though

Feel free to go ahead and ask away about installing an alarm in your home, but not in another house.

Please note that like most boards forums there are professionals and DIY people here that have a range of experience, some are very loyal to manufacturers, some overestimate their understandings of security systems and the importance of reliability.

Some underestimate or understate how much time they spend twigging with their own systems, some like me enjoy it.

However it's important to take the advice of professionals onboard as they are the ones that get the call outs at all hours and know the game inside out.

Again if you are happy to handle your own call outs so be it. Some will and some won't share the tricks of the trade as is their right.

Some will help, and you might end up sending someone a pm if you are in over your head.

Such is the joys of the HSS forum.

But you are in the right place for advice on a self install or if you have a PSA licence you are in the right place to discuss general issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks Stoner for that comprehensive reply.

Well, guys straight away I can see this is a helpful forum, and i do appreciate both your comments.

I'll be back! :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement