Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hue Halloween

• 03-10-2018 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Has anybody used the Hue lights to scare the children/adults at Halloween?

I downloaded the Hue Halloween app and it works well just wondering if others have used something else?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, if you have a google home, last year if you said, "Hey Google, let's get spooky" it would:

- Change your hue lights to all sorts of different spooky colours
    - Play spooky music
    - Play a spooky cartoon on chromecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIfLeVzMxM

Very cool, kids loved it. Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, hopefully it will again closer to Halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah I temporarily put one of my colour hue bulbs in the light fitting on the porch and the hue go inside the front door and set them to cycle different spooky colours. Looked pretty good and kids loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    Very cool, kids loved it. Doesn't seem to be working at the moment, hopefully it will again closer to Halloween.

Yes I miss it

A Christmas one would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I use a combination of Hue Haloween and OnSwitch for lay Haloween effects, been using it for the last 3 years or so. Kids love it, and some don’t even make it to the door!!

Hue Haloween running on 3 lights (2 in front room and 1 in hallway) - the less lights you use the better as each sound effect you trigger will go to a random bulb, so it could be triggered anywhere, so by using 3 bulbs only in 2 rooms, I always know the bulb that flashes with the sound effect will be in either the hallway or sitting room. I also have the sound from the app running to a Bluetooth JBL speaker that’s upstairs in my office wedhged in the window frame. This little speaker really packs a punch and can easily be heard from 5-6 houses away.

The I’ll have other bulbs running off OnSwitch, upstairs bedrooms will be on Colour Splat (splat-o-mastic 10 second random). I have those plastic ghost sheets that go on the windows, so the effect on these with the hue bulbs is really good.

Then in the porch light (with a scary ghost hanging off it) I have the light on the candle/flicker effect, again from OnSwitch

I need to try and make some better videos of it all this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

bk wrote: »
    Yes, if you have a google home, last year if you said, "Hey Google, let's get spooky" it would:

- Change your hue lights to all sorts of different spooky colours
    - Play spooky music
    - Play a spooky cartoon on chromecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIfLeVzMxM

It's back. Music anyway, don't have hues, didn't try the tv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

kenmc wrote: »
    It's back. Music anyway, don't have hues, didn't try the tv

Nope, that just uses the Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ah well. The kids got a kick out of the home anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Going to try out the Hue Halloween App looks good but I think you have to put some effort into coordinating things:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Got the app, love it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

2 quid so I downloaded the free version haunted house party. Looks good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Any app that allows you cast to a TV?

Played with the Hue Halloween app a bit last night, seems good but you need speakers you can airplay to to make it worth it

The wife thinks I'm mad..... With all my lights and now they flash ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Rew wrote: »
    Played with the Hue Halloween app a bit last night, seems good but you need speakers you can airplay to to make it worth it

Any Bluetooth speaker works with the App, I use the sound bar on tv with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The wife thinks I'm mad..... With all my lights and now they flash ....

Ah yes, we all know 'that' look.

"Good man yourself, off playing with the lights again"

I think she secretly loves them, but will never admit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Surely when the wife is giving out she's secretly thinking how lucky she is to have such a wonderful man who can do these amazing things

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think she secretly loves them, but will never admit!

I know my missus does. She has let it slip a few times:

While on holidays: "I miss Google!"

Also, "When are we getting Hue lights for the patio?".

The little one wants to do them now all the time, thinks it's deadly.... I'm not ashamed to admit it I love it.

I got my dad 2 Philips outdoor fittings so he should be happy with them and house will look modern.

Advertisement