Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v9] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

GoneHome wrote: »
    Robbie was shot in South Africa, ah ffs, it's worse this show is getting by the episode

It's almost like they heard that Grainne Seoige and her diamonds were going to be on Living with Lucy line up and they decided to copy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Could they not just have said that he died while working in the UK. What was the point in having a far fetched story about a South African diamond ambush.
    It would have been more fitting to say that he'd been in an accident on his way to the airport or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So I wonder will they flesh out the story a bit as to how he ended up in SA or just leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Robbie was shot in South Africa, ah ffs, it's worse this show is getting by the episode

It's almost like they heard that Grainne Seoige and her diamonds were going to be on Living with Lucy line up and they decided to copy it.
    Or they're taking off Gary Windass!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheKeno

That was a sad ending for Mr. Robbie Quinn. A great character and fine actor. I thought they could have linked his death to Richie Lennon or Sharon Curleys character to make a better story but I guess they had to come up with something quickly. Will always remember him locked in a freezer last year and his floppy fringe. Cardle and Norah will be distraught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭MsWesterosi

I'd have stuck to something more believable, like a fight broke out in his mate's pub in London, and he tried to break it up, but someone pulled a knife. That'd have been more credible than the South African diamonds lark. Or, he could have been involved in a motorway pile up on the way to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭MsWesterosi

Does anyone else feel that the Tessa/Ciaran thing is a bit of a Floyd and Heather deal?

He doesn't treat her like a sister, exactly.... There was something really off putting about the way he kissed her picture when he was sitting in the van on the anniversary special.

Another incest storyline, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fair City was just on Gogglebox.
    One person. "I think the acting has got better on this"
    Second person. "No, we just got used to it."

Damo as fat Hitler :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

So I wonder will they flesh out the story a bit as to how he ended up in SA or just leave it at that.

Be grand. In another few weeks they’ll come out with another explanation as to how he died and expect nobody to notice.....same way they expect us not to notice that Robbie originally left to go to a beer festival!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

Alex is being so weird about Ciaran, why is he so obsessed with him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe he wants a friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I'd have stuck to something more believable, like a fight broke out in his mate's pub in London, and he tried to break it up, but someone pulled a knife. That'd have been more credible than the South African diamonds lark. Or, he could have been involved in a motorway pile up on the way to the airport.

Would have been a far more fitting tribute to a fine actor and gentleman.

I want to know more about Ciarán's Kidnap Van.

Why? Where is it? Who is it for? Why does no one, not the gards nor witnesses not Barry question for a second wtf was that about?

TheKeno wrote: »
    That was a sad ending for Mr. Robbie Quinn. A great character and fine actor. I thought they could have linked his death to Richie Lennon or Sharon Curleys character to make a better story but I guess they had to come up with something quickly. Will always remember him locked in a freezer last year and his floppy fringe. Cardle and Norah will be distraught.

Or even connected to Andy and Barry Hannigan somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

For me working in security at the Diamond mine was pretty plausible. ( Maybe I've wstched Blood Diamonds too many times) Robbie was the type you could see knowing people in the 'security' trade across the world. He'd have contacts from his army days and his mercenary days and god knows what else.

He always seemed to be laying low like he was looking over his should all the time...and you kinda just knew there was more to him than the bookmaker office and the Station.

Telling Carol and the mother that he was helping someone set up a pub in London is just the sort of cover story he'd tell them so they wouldn't worry.

Rest in peace Robbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Trying to catch up with tonight's episode on the player, 'trying' being the operative word.

After the 6 ads got to watch the first half, the usual sh*te, cutting in and out. Second part wouldn't play, just stalled after the interval 6 ads. I reloaded and again, had to go through the 6 ads at the start. Moved the cursor on to the second half and for 2 minutes I had the Fair City video playing but the audio was drowned out by the ads playing simultaneously! I want to get the 24 min show over and go to bed but after an hour I want to box something. That heap of sh*t the call they RTE Player is goading me to the same extent Will goaded Damo last week.

Dee Forbes you can fcuk off with yourself, a National Broadcaster that can't provide a somewhat functional online service.

Rant over!:mad:

P.S. I don't ever want to hear about An Post again or see Angela Scanlon!

Last edit: Started watching at 23.00, haven't even started part 2 and it's 00.15. I'm off to bed!

I feel your pain, well, not anymore - if I miss FC I just come on here to find out what happened. The RTE Player would break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Trying to catch up with tonight's episode on the player, 'trying' being the operative word.

After the 6 ads got to watch the first half, the usual sh*te, cutting in and out. Second part wouldn't play, just stalled after the interval 6 ads. I reloaded and again, had to go through the 6 ads at the start. Moved the cursor on to the second half and for 2 minutes I had the Fair City video playing but the audio was drowned out by the ads playing simultaneously! I want to get the 24 min show over and go to bed but after an hour I want to box something. That heap of sh*t the call they RTE Player is goading me to the same extent Will goaded Damo last week.

Dee Forbes you can fcuk off with yourself, a National Broadcaster that can't provide a somewhat functional online service.

Last edit: Started watching at 23.00, haven't even started part 2 and it's 00.15. I'm off to bed!
    Its repeated at 3pm tomorrow on rte 1. You should watch it. It was a brilliant episode in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I'm not sure what browser you are using but you might do better watching it on Google chrome. Not a fan of Google chrome myself but the RTE player seems to work fine on it all the same compared to other browsers (well apart from having to refresh at the start the odd time).

I don't think there is any easy way around the ads though unless you are a techy whiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Finally. F*****g finally. Maybe I'm gone the right cynic after beginning to follow this thread lately & the 5 a Side Footie/Soccer Team that're constantly changing team members (Laura, Damien, Will, Anto, Dearbhla, Dean...am I missing any?) but is never actually seen, only alluded to (can't RTE hire out a community hall somewhere for the action shots? We're only talking a few stooges in pink or yellow or purple or blue or green bibs like and a few cones, a yellow ball etc.) and now the desperate Ciaran/Tessa story that's more holes in it than a sieve.

But at the end tonight, how they dealt with Robbies death was brilliant; the reaction of Carol especially & how D.I. Yeates/Yates deliver'd the news was at least a high point.

Did the actors untimely passing justice.

More of that please and less of the invisible footie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I use Google Chrome & have that issue; I use Ad Blocker/s and disable it/them but it stalls @ HT + goes right back to the beginning.

My suggestion's to go Incognito; the 3 Dots on R.H.S. will drop down a menu; third options to choose New Incognito Window.

Ad Blockers don't work so you'll be sitting through the ads @ beginning + in middle but it works.

RTE Player in Chrome isn't loading any live shows for me lately; Prime Time tonight being an/other example so I have to go Incognito for them too.

branie2 wrote: »
    Maybe he wants a friend

What has happened Phoebe's fella who was working in the laundrette?

BTW who will take over all Melanie's jobs now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm not sure what browser you are using but you might do better watching it on Google chrome. Not a fan of Google chrome myself but the RTE player seems to work fine on it all the same compared to other browsers (well apart from having to refresh at the start the odd time).

I don't think there is any easy way around the ads though unless you are a techy whiz.

It is a bit better on chrome but it's riciculous that it's the best they can offer their customers in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Does anyone else feel that the Tessa/Ciaran thing is a bit of a Floyd and Heather deal?

He doesn't treat her like a sister, exactly.... There was something really off putting about the way he kissed her picture when he was sitting in the van on the anniversary special.

Another incest storyline, I wonder?

I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

I hope not!

Oh God, I couldn't bear that. I don't think they'd go down that road. would they?

Ciaran annoyed me calling Emmet evil because he got involved with the 'Phoenix Way' Cult. Maybe Ciaran, if you had not kidnapped Emmet's sister for over a year, mentally tortured and physically attacked him, Emmet would not have needed to join a self help group in the first place. Tessa should have said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

LordBasil wrote: »
    Oh God, I couldn't bear that. I don't think they'd go down that road. would they?

Ciaran annoyed me calling Emmet evil because he got involved with the 'Phoenix Way' Cult. Maybe Ciaran, if you had not kidnapped Emmet's sister for over a year, mentally tortured and physically attacked him, Emmet would not have needed to join a self help group in the first place. Tessa should have said something.

Everyone (Ciarán included) seems to be forgetting that if it wasn't for Tessa doing her disappearing act in Thailand none of it would ever have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Everyone (Ciarán included) seems to be forgetting that if it wasn't for Tessa doing her disappearing act in Thailand none of it would ever have happened.

There is that of course.

The whole storyline is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

LordBasil wrote: »
    There is that of course.

The whole storyline is ridiculous.

She's actually the real **** in all of this the way I see it.

Didn't their father go off the rails on drink and die in a car accident after? I think the mother is dead but I'm not sure if it's anything to do with it. Imagine dying not knowing what happened to one of your own kids?

Obviously the whole experience made Ciarán a bit unhinged too.

Who just disappears and says nothing to their family and let's them wondering what if?

What an evil ****.

Ah but she's grand sure really. She's great mates with the cool gang who hang out having after work drinks and the like. Carrickstown are taking to her like a duck to water.

Its repeated at 3pm tomorrow on rte 1. You should watch it. It was a brilliant episode in my opinion.

Won't catch it with work donkeykong. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Actually using Google Chrome. TG4 player etc are all fine. Thanks.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Finally. F*****g finally. Maybe I'm gone the right cynic after beginning to follow this thread lately & the 5 a Side Footie/Soccer Team that're constantly changing team members (Laura, Damien, Will, Anto, Dearbhla, Dean...am I missing any?) but is never actually seen, only alluded to (can't RTE hire out a community hall somewhere for the action shots? We're only talking a few stooges in pink or yellow or purple or blue or green bibs like and a few cones, a yellow ball etc.) and now the desperate Ciaran/Tessa story that's more holes in it than a sieve.

But at the end tonight, how they dealt with Robbies death was brilliant; the reaction of Carol especially & how D.I. Yeates/Yates deliver'd the news was at least a high point.

Did the actors untimely passing justice.

More of that please and less of the invisible footie.

Back in the mid 2000s Damo and others were involved in football on an astro turf pitch and they showed clips of them. FC seems to have a smaller amount of scene sites by the year. As many have mentioned, Richie Lennon's brothel could be recorded in some seedy spot easily too.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    I use Google Chrome & have that issue; I use Ad Blocker/s and disable it/them but it stalls @ HT + goes right back to the beginning.

My suggestion's to go Incognito; the 3 Dots on R.H.S. will drop down a menu; third options to choose New Incognito Window.

Ad Blockers don't work so you'll be sitting through the ads @ beginning + in middle but it works.

RTE Player in Chrome isn't loading any live shows for me lately; Prime Time tonight being an/other example so I have to go Incognito for them too.

Will try that, thanks.

It is a bit better on chrome but it's riciculous that it's the best they can offer their customers in this day and age.

It seems they don't want it to work well to me. Afraid people would stop watching on tv and instead just watch what they want online. Worrying they'd lose their precious licence fee. TG4 can do so much more with so little finance.

RTE is a decadent organisation, full of lifers like Tubs, Darcy, Miriam O'C, Dermot Bannon, Pat Shortt, Joe Duffy, Francis Brennan etc and needs a big shake up to make it fit for purpose. Like many institutions it has turned into a back slapping clique.

I hope not!

To me they seem (well Ciaran anyway) way too touchy feely for brother and sister, so much physical contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Am I getting this right? Psycho Ciaran is holed up hiding in an apartment in Carrigstown?

What happened last week when he bumped into Katie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TheKeno

He didnt bump into Katie. He met Barry. Tried to kidnap him, nearly knocked down the Armenian kid Alex (who now wants to be his friend for no reason) and fled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Won't catch it with work donkeykong. Thanks.
    8.15am on rte1 sat morning any use. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alex wanting to play cards with him was the randomest fookin thing. Dont blame Ciaran saying no.

Thought of it last night after wondering what was the story with Ciarán's van, it probably wasn't set up for another kidnap, he was most likely just sleeping in it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Thought of it last night after wondering what was the story with Ciarán's van, it probably wasn't set up for another kidnap, he was most likely just sleeping in it himself.

Yeah, that's liekly it......still don't know why he was kidnapping Bazza.

• Advertisement

8.15am on rte1 sat morning any use. ?

Thanks, might do that before the rugby:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anyone else read / hear this?

71184767_10162499389470089_3455802030063353856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQld8-nMso8bZK0IemfbDoMlmYUNH8ka7kY1486_wPw8d1HyAfN3WZu5bfdGGJa4IJc&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=bd32baed8e3a0cc0f6bec7703b27dcc3&oe=5E2D00A0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Anyone else read / hear this?

71184767_10162499389470089_3455802030063353856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQld8-nMso8bZK0IemfbDoMlmYUNH8ka7kY1486_wPw8d1HyAfN3WZu5bfdGGJa4IJc&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=bd32baed8e3a0cc0f6bec7703b27dcc3&oe=5E2D00A0

That would be very bad taste if they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

To me they seem (well Ciaran anyway) way too touchy feely for brother and sister, so much physical contact.

I thought this as well. I get that he is close to his sister, nothing wrong with that but a few scenes of physical contact really veered into uncomfortable territory. I wonder are they going down the road that they had an incest relationship? I doubt FC has the depth to even think like that though so id put it down to an odd storyline.

I thought this as well. I get that he is close to his sister, nothing wrong with that but a few scenes of physical contact really veered into uncomfortable territory. I wonder are they going down the road that they had an incest relationship? I doubt FC has the depth to even think like that though so id put it down to an odd storyline.

2 incest storylines since 2003 would be a lot. Considering they had just one abortion storyline I can remember, Niamh and Leo Dowling in the 1990s, which would be more common..you'd imagine.. Not many teenage pregnancy storylines either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

That would be very bad taste if they did

Really bad move if they did that, it's like they're thinking, 'we don't have the sets, so let's film the real thing and slot it into the show' save a few bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Limerick HQ

The storyline is going to be that Ciaran used to sexually abuse Tessa when they were teenagers

Surely Alex would have heard about Ciaran and seen him around before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Surely Alex would have heard about Ciaran and seen him around before

Absolutely, you'd have to think the Katy kidnapping story would be massive nationwide so a kid from the area who knows the victim and lives in his relative's house would surely recognise his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe when Melaine was leaving she spotted Ciaran and he locked her up somewhere!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement