Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v9] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

What a borefest tonight , a sense of deja vue, sick of Ciaran’s predictable tears, facial expressions and sitting cross legged on the table . Not to mention the helpless Katie and Tessa. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

When Rose says "Michael", is she referring to her husband in Glenroe who beat the crap out of her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

When Rose says "Michael", is she referring to her husband in Glenroe who beat the crap out of her?

That was Dick Moran who was her husband in Glenroe; as for wife beating scenese, real or alluded to in Glenroe?

You sure you saw it in Glenroe; I can't recall it; didn't think such a topic'd be covered in the 80s/90s....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    That was Dick Moran who was her husband in Glenroe; as for wife beating scenese, real or alluded to in Glenroe?

You sure you saw it in Glenroe; I can't recall it; didn't think such a topic'd be covered in the 80s/90s....?

Mary McDermott (glenroe) was having an affair with Dick Moran when she was married to Michael.

branie2 wrote: »
    Mary McDermott (glenroe) was having an affair with Dick Moran when she was married to Michael.

Makes mental note to look up the earlier episodes of Glenroe if they still exist!

I was 5 when it began; can't quite remember when I started watching it so my apologies for being disbelieving RTE would've covered such a story at the time; the Family by Roddy Doyle was quite controversial and RTE aired it but came in for a string of criticism and that was much later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Makes mental note to look up the earlier episodes of Glenroe if they still exist!

I was 5 when it began; can't quite remember when I started watching it so my apologies for being disbelieving RTE would've covered such a story at the time; the Family by Roddy Doyle was quite controversial and RTE aired it but came in for a string of criticism and that was much later.

The Family was 1994.

Yes Mary's husband Michael was a lot older than her and it seemed like a kink of loveless arranged marriage. The clips of Mary after being hit by him weren't terribly graphic but enough to know she had been abused. Dick Moran was the real love of her life so it wasn't portrayed as cheating. The audience were rooting for Dick and Mary! Terry Killeen affair with Dick began 1989/1990 iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ridiculous storyline coming up about Robbie's last gesture tonight while spreading the ashes. On mobile so can't do spoiler tags but it's most stupid thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭threetrees

Were Paul and Barry good friends before Sarah's murder? I can't remember and don't recall them being buddies at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

threetrees wrote: »
    Were Paul and Barry good friends before Sarah's murder? I can't remember and don't recall them being buddies at all.

I'm open to correction but can't recall them being buxom buddies either. I know they were both romantically involved with Niamh so I would have thought they were at loggerheads if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement

They went back a long way as friends initially. At the start of FC in 1989 they were training for the DCM and completed it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm open to correction but can't recall them being buxom buddies either. I know they were both romantically involved with Niamh so I would have thought they were at loggerheads if anything.

I think Niamh bought them closer, even after her mother died, she was still close with Barry

Naggdefy wrote: »
    They went back a long way as friends initially. At the start of FC in 1989 they were training for the DCM and completed it together.

Thanks, I'm only watching from around 2002 so makes sense that I didn't remember that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

dave1982 wrote:
    Ridiculous storyline coming up about Robbie's last gesture tonight while spreading the ashes. On mobile so can't do spoiler tags but it's most stupid thing ever

The missus just told me it. Carry on stuff!

Cazale wrote: »
    The missus just told me it. Carry on stuff!

Spill please (with Spoiler Alerts as per usual).....; thanks.

Spill please (with Spoiler Alerts as per usual).....; thanks.
    When Carol goes to scatter his ashes she finds a load of diamonds that Robbie had swallowed which obviously survived his cremation

When Carol goes to scatter his ashes she finds a load of diamonds that Robbie had swallowed which obviously survived his cremation

Oh for God's sake!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Naggdefy wrote: »

What’s the DCM?

bazermc wrote:
    What’s the DCM?

The Dublin Marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ciaran what a joke. He hadn’t got the bottle to murder her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

fin12 wrote: »
    Ciaran what a joke. He hadn’t got the bottle to murder her.

Ffs. That was very intense. Stopped breathing for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I question the furniture in FC.

Barry should move in with Hughie, there would be plenty of room there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Weird editing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People will be breathing in Robbie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,859 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When Hughie and Barry was up stairs together I kept on thinking of Birth and Ernie for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sparko

Weird editing

Yeah they've tried something different. Plus location filming, first time in a LONG time that it wasn't the RTE carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Pity to see Tessa gone but I'm SO glad to see the back of Ciaran. He really was a brutal character, some of those scenes were laughable.
    Hughie plays a fantastic drunk and I'm delighted to see Don Paulioni's scheme scuppered. He is obnoxious, not a thread of morality in him. I've mentioned it here before but he reminds me of a former boss of mine. A nasty person who never did a kind act in his life. I'd love to see Hughie and Barry join forces behind the bar. As for the diamonds :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Good job they didn't scatter his ashes at sea.

jos28 wrote: »
    Pity to see Tessa gone but I'm SO glad to see the back of Ciaran. He really was a brutal character, some of those scenes were laughable.
    Hughie plays a fantastic drunk and I'm delighted to see Don Paulioni's scheme scuppered. He is obnoxious, not a thread of morality in him. I've mentioned it here before but he reminds me of a former boss of mine. A nasty person who never did a kind act in his life. I'd love to see Hughie and Barry join forces behind the bar. As for the diamonds :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Good job they didn't scatter his ashes at sea.

Ciaron Katie and tessa were brilliant. The diamonds in ashes ruined one of the best episodes in ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

No, Michael Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't someone have to physically put the ashes in the urn at the crematorium so how come they didn't see the diamonds :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Wouldn't someone have to physically put the ashes in the urn at the crematorium so how come they didn't see the diamonds :confused:
    Also, when did he fecking plan this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

One of the worst series of FC episodes ive ever seen, the script was just woeful, so weak and repetitive. How many times did we have to hear Katy shout "You cant do it can you?" and why exactly did Ciaran wait this long just to come back and kill Katy, instead of just moving on with his life and heading off abroad and starting afresh. No motivation or logic to his actions! And don't get me started on Hughie becoming a raging alcoholic again overnight, just like Chris getting battered by Will in the space of 1 episode. A lot of boxes to tick for the script writers.

Oh, how utterly convenient to find a few diamonds in Robbies ashes- now Snarler can pay off all her debts and stay in the soap for another 20 years snarling at Billy Meehans long lost relatives. Theres nothing FC wont do to keep that character in the soap. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Also, when did he fecking plan this?

Yeah wasn't there a gunfight and he was shot, it would be hard enough to swallow diamonds when healthy but impossible with a bullet in his belly.

I'll be catching up later; how come's Ciaran's gone?

D.I. Yates catch him after murdering Tessa or did he do away with himself?

Also, Barry & Hughie; sure hasn't Paul got ownership of McCoys now?

• Advertisement

I'll be catching up later; how come's Ciaran's gone?

D.I. Yates catch him after murdering Tessa or did he do away with himself?

Ciaron has been arrested.

Erm no (skip down to TLDR to cut to the chase)

Every property sale differs but this is the general gist of how a property sale typically takes place in this country.

1. The vendor would seek out an Estate agent to sell their property. The Estate Agent would take photos and advertise the property etc. Fair to say there would not always be an Estate Agent involved but there would be on the vast majority of occasions.

2. The buyer would arrange to view the property with the Estate Agent. Again lets assume that this didn't happen in this case as Paul has seen more than enough of Mc'Coys over the years and would most likely end up showing the Estate Agent around. At the very least though the buyer would want to see the books. The Estate Agent may also seek to determine if the buyer has the means to buy at this stage, mortgage approval in principle, even bank balance etc. - avoid wasting all parties time and forego a legit sale.

3. Then there would be an offer, most likely counter offer and this may go on for a while. Vendor accepts.

4. Conveyancing - both the Vendor and buyer would engage their solicitors. This can be a very lengthy process but assuming all parties had their ducks perfectly in a row it would be unlikely to be completed within a month.

5. In the meantime if Paul were drawing down a mortgage to buy the property the bank would be completing their own valuation. I think they also may look for Paul to propose a business model to them.

6. Both parties would sign contracts. Paul would draw down the mortgage. Bank transfer would be made to Hughie. Title deeds would be given to Pauls solicitor. Keys would be given to Paul.

TLDR: Paul would not become the overnight owner of a property after a plastered Hughie signs the back of a beermat.

TLDR: Paul would not become the overnight owner of a property after a plastered Hughie signs the back of a beermat.

I bought my house on a napkin after a drunken bender.

I bought my house on a napkin after a drunken bender.
    Fair play! You owned it the following morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Erm no (skip down to TLDR to cut to the chase)

Every property sale differs but this is the general gist of how a property sale typically takes place in this country.

1. The vendor would seek out an Estate agent to sell their property. The Estate Agent would take photos and advertise the property etc. Fair to say there would not always be an Estate Agent involved but there would be on the vast majority of occasions.

2. The buyer would arrange to view the property with the Estate Agent. Again lets assume that this didn't happen in this case as Paul has seen more than enough of Mc'Coys over the years and would most likely end up showing the Estate Agent around. At the very least though the buyer would want to see the books. The Estate Agent may also seek to determine if the buyer has the means to buy at this stage, mortgage approval in principle, even bank balance etc. - avoid wasting all parties time and forego a legit sale.

3. Then there would be an offer, most likely counter offer and this may go on for a while. Vendor accepts.

4. Conveyancing - both the Vendor and buyer would engage their solicitors. This can be a very lengthy process but assuming all parties had their ducks perfectly in a row it would be unlikely to be completed within a month.

5. In the meantime if Paul were drawing down a mortgage to buy the property the bank would be completing their own valuation. I think they also may look for Paul to propose a business model to them.

6. Both parties would sign contracts. Paul would draw down the mortgage. Bank transfer would be made to Hughie. Title deeds would be given to Pauls solicitor. Keys would be given to Paul.

Ah yes, but did he not sell him the trade (the goodwill, stock and other assets) rather than the property itself?

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Ah yes, but did he not sell him the trade (the goodwill, stock and other assets) rather than the property itself?
    I took it to be lock, stock and barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Fair play! You owned it the following morning?

That's the way 50% of property transfers in soap land. The only 50% is won/lost in a poker game.

It was there first day!

So the diamonds story is far fetched and unrealistic however I like a happy ending and this was almost Disney happy. I loved the story, I know I'm the only one to say it but it's a great ending for Robbie who was a rough diamond himself in some ways.

As for Ciaran, Tessa and Katie, it was just silly. Wonder will Stripey come back to bring up Fionn or will Katie take over, being the only blood relatives he has. Isn't Dean supposed to be going out with Tessa? He obviously didn't give a toss about her the last few days. Perhaps they broke up and I missed an episode or two?

So the diamonds story is far fetched and unrealistic however I like a happy ending and this was almost Disney happy. I loved the story, I know I'm the only one to say it but it's a great ending for Robbie who was a rough diamond himself in some ways.

As for Ciaran, Tessa and Katie, it was just silly. Wonder will Stripey come back to bring up Fionn or will Katie take over, being the only blood relatives he has. Isn't Dean supposed to be going out with Tessa? He obviously didn't give a toss about her the last few days. Perhaps they broke up and I missed an episode or two?

They had broken up cause she ghosted him. Can’t blame Dean, he opened up to her and she threw it back in his face.

I got the impression Tessa got the call from Ciaran a few weeks back and she sort of moved on from him.
    Fingers crossed we have no my whining from Katy or an overly intense Ciaran.

bazermc wrote: »
    What’s the DCM?

Dublin City Marathon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Niall_76

You underestimate Paul. This is the same guy who bought a building and suddenly was running the restaurant in the building!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Niall_76

“I’m going to kill you. Sorry, but I have to do it.”

“But I’m thirsty!“

“Oh right.. I did read somewhere that being stabbed to death while dehydrated can be bad for you. sit there quietly while I get you a drink of water.“

My God.....

The gardaí should also complain about their portrayal in the programme.

“Knock knock.. Mr Holloway, are you there? We’ll be coming in now so you should hurry up and stab her.. only if she has rehydrated fully mind you”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I bought my house on a napkin from a drunken bender.

Fixed that there for ya....:D

Bummer for Nora and Jack that they didnt get any diamonds from the "lucky dip" bucket...:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement