Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v9] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May he rest in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Shocking news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

I'm shocked too. It was obvious he was in pain or something was wrong as he was so stooped over, however I thought he was looking a bit better in recent episodes. He's young too, 47, poor man. May he rest in peace.

That's Charlie and Robbie they'll have to write out suddenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Oh no, that's shocking news :(

The poor guy did not look well this year.....you could tell there was something not right with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tragic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

So shocked to hearing about him passing away. I liked his character in that very much. And when I see him stooped in the shop looking at the magazine's I was commenting to the family he looked like he was in a bad way. 47 was it? So young .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

jos28 wrote: »
    Announced by RTE news but I can't find anything else online
    It's in independent .ie. very sad. RIP karl.

So shocked to hearing about him passing away. I liked his character in that very much. And when I see him stooped in the shop looking at the magazine's I was commenting to the family he looked like he was in a bad way. 47 was it? So young .

I assumed he was having bad posture / back problems or something, but it looks like he must have been ill instead. 47 is shockingly young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Really sad news RIP Karl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP, only 47 thought he was older

Pretty shocked to hear this on radio just now. I really hope they write his character out with a bit of tact and don't just suddenly send Robbie on a holiday never to be seen again.

Pretty shocked to hear this on radio just now. I really hope they write his character out with a bit of tact and don't just suddenly send Robbie on a holiday never to be seen again.

And a good exit story for Charlie as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Talking about him on Ray D'Arcy at the moment

They're discussing Karl on Ray D'Arcy now with a couple of guests

Producer says the Robbie episodes will go ahead as planned this week and next and will not be pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

It's difficult to write a good exit story for a character if the actor dies suddenly as opposed to if someone decides to leave the writers can plan and the actor can film scenes.

For Charlie, they'll probably have Cass or Bela find him dead in bed, similar to what happened when Pat Leavy (Hannah Finnegan, Rita's Mother) died in 2003.

For Robbie, they might have him disappear suddenly and either have his body found in the mountains or Carol being informed that he died while abroad.

Very sad and totally not the storylines the producers thought they would have to write in the run up to the 30th anniversary :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Just watched last nights episode, his mother’s words to him “ son you don’t look well “ seems a bit profectic now
    And a nice piece as the credits rolled

RIP Karl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Shocked to hear of Karl's passing. 47 is no age to die. I haven't been watching Fair City much this year but I saw last night's episode and Karl didn't look in the best of health.

My thoughts are with his family and friends and the Fair City cast who must be devastated right now.

Did Nora ever talk about Robbie's father, could he have half siblings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Very sad news, what happened to him? The website mentioned no illness. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

R.I.P Karl.

Poir guy didn't look great with a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

RIP, a user posted the following in the thread about nine months or so back:

A work colleague took her mam to St. James hospital, Dublin today. The colleague watches Fair City and bumped into Karl Shiels aka Robbie.

She said he looked worse than on tv. His face looked terrible, he was slouched and shuffling along. She felt he was quite ill, which is sad. When she said he looked worse than on tv I felt he must be ill.

Trafficked is a good film if anyone hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

So sad RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Ah sorry to hear this - he didn't look well on screen the last few months. Only 47. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Really upset to hear this. A fine actor. RIP.

Joe Hanley (Hughie) was talking about Karl on the Ray Darcy show this afternoon.

Really upset to hear this. A fine actor. RIP.

Listening to Ray D'Arcy and the contributors were saying he was well respected in the industry. He had done a lot of film and theatre work and was no mere 'soap actor'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Met him many times, He was a very intense, powerful presence, but a softie underneath it all. He helped my kid a few years back getting into acting and was a go to person for a lot of young actors.Worked tirelessly for small Irish theatre. A big strong handshake and no bollox about him.

RIP Karl, you'll be missed by many, many people.

So sorry to hear this, I liked Robbie (Karl).
    He certainly didn’t look well in the last year and many people here commented on that . I wonder when he went to Kosovo recently as a security man was he unwell and trying to get his health back on track. He was far to young to die.

Sad times, recently we’ve lost Charlie from FC, but also Brendan Grace , Noel Whelan, Arthur Ryan (Penney’s) Fergal Quinn (Superquinn) . Also two men in my circle of friends died this week, one age 55, one 59. You never know the day or the hour. It makes you want to get out there and live your life to the fullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very sad news and so young.

I thought he was a lot older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RIP Karl.

Very sad on his wife and family, 47 is way too young to pass away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

May he rest in peace.

He was a great actor. Not something you could say about many in Fair City. Certainly on screen, he didn't look well at all over the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was extremely shocked to hear this news earlier. One thing losing Tom Jordan who was in the 80s, but 47 is a shockingly young age.

He really didn't look well at all in the recent episodes. His posture wasn't great, but in one of the episodes last week there was something very strange looking about his face. It looked kind of swollen and plastic as if he'd had surgery or something. His eyes were very red as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard about Karl Shiels death on the 6.1 news this evening. I was very shocked to hear about it today. I didn't realize that he was very ill.

R.I.P. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shocked by the passing of Karl, he was too good for fair city, RIP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shocked to hear of Karl's passing. 47 is no age to die. I haven't been watching Fair City much this year but I saw last night's episode and Karl didn't look in the best of health.

My thoughts are with his family and friends and the Fair City cast who must be devastated right now.

He hasn't look well for a while now, since last year I'd say.

Is that Keith's brother on Eastenders?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that Keith's brother on Eastenders?

He was the original owner of the station, fin was his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Shocked by the passing of Karl, he was too good for fair city, RIP.

Gutted....I thought too he didn't look well lately...

R.I.P

He was the original owner of the station, fin was his name.

Yes Finn was the name, I think that was him on Eastenders tonight

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes Finn was the name, I think that was him on Eastenders tonight

It was indeed him!

Robbie arrived in Carrigstown in 2014, it actually feels like he was in the soap a lot longer. He was in some really good storylines, I still think the wedding episode when he bate the sh*te out of Trigger Foley was a great episode.

Any of the scenes where he was also getting roughed up by gangsters were always entertaining aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

fin12 wrote: »
    Robbie arrived in Carrigstown in 2014, it actually feels like he was in the soap a lot longer. He was in some really good storylines, I still think the wedding episode when he bate the sh*te out of Trigger Foley was a great episode.

Any of the scenes where he was also getting roughed up by gangsters were always entertaining aswell

Or any scene where he was angry or lost his temper.

• Advertisement

With the Nora storyline and the upcoming Carol Vs. Fiona, Robbie would probably have featured a lot :(

Or any scene where he was angry or lost his temper.

Ya they were brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

none of ye giving out about hes hair now,some hypocrites on here.

I always wanted Yvonne to return with Rob Jnr

bassy wrote: »
    none of ye giving out about hes hair now,some hypocrites on here.

I don’t think there was anything wrong with thinking it was very funny when his hair was flopping all over the place after he was roughed up, at least it looked realistic. People might have went on about his hair but I don’t think anyone ever denied what a great actor he was.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement