Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v9] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

bassy wrote: »
    none of ye giving out about hes hair now,some hypocrites on here.

maybe that ... or just being respectful of someone who has just passed away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t think there was anything wrong with thinking it was very funny when his hair was flopping all over the place after he was roughed up, at least it looked realistic. People might have went on about his hair but I don’t think anyone ever denied what a great actor he was.

I think hes hair was cool and a fresh of breath air from the normal boring haircuts where a lot look the same.it was a stand out for me cause it was cool and different :) miss you rob R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭youwould

Have a bit of respect and cop on. :rolleyes:

youwould wrote: »
    Have a bit of respect and cop on. :rolleyes:

I,ve shown no disrespect at all,so cop yourself on...…………………………….

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

I,ve shown no disrespect at all,so cop yourself on...…………………………….

You’re a bit of a $hit stirrer all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Leave it out, the guy has just passed, be a troll somewhere else

The numptys are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Strazdas wrote: »
    Listening to Ray D'Arcy and the contributors were saying he was well respected in the industry. He had done a lot of film and theatre work and was no mere 'soap actor'.

Batman Begins, you can see him here around 1:08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

tuxy wrote: »
    Batman Begins, you can see him here around 1:08

Hughey is in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Very sorry to hear this.....whenever I caught FC in recent years it was clear he was a cut above.

Was he still in the thick of the storylines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

There's quite a difference between slagging off a character and we did plenty of that, calling him Greasy etc and slagging off an actor. Afair the actor has not been slagged off. In fact there's been concern for him over the last months and praise for his acting.

Daily mail are reporting he died in his sleep. How sudden is that? God help his family and may he RIP.

Really stupid comment.
    It’s pretty normal slagging off a “soap’s character “. This is the Fair City thread. It’s a soap. People were not slagging off Karl Shiels - difference !

I remember often giving out hell about the smell of cigarette smoke off my Dad , his clothes, and the way it made the skin on his fingers yellow. I remember my sisters and I not liking the way my mother coloured her hair too dark when she got older, it made her look severe (and she was !).
    That doesn’t mean I wasn’t gutted , lost and heartbroken when they died :(

You can actually like and love a person yet not like their habits or even their hairstyle (as in poor Robbie’s case)!

You obviously don’t understand the difference .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

fin12 wrote: »
    Hughey is in it too.

And Barry O'Hanlon

And Karl appeared as a guest star in my one of my favourite medical dramas, Doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very sorry to hear this.....whenever I caught FC in recent years it was clear he was a cut above.

Was he still in the thick of the storylines?

He was indeed. We've seen a fair bit of him this year and he was in Sunday night's episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Karl had that lived in look like all good actors artists and musicians

He suffered for his art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Very sad news indeed. I always thought Karl was a great actor and indeed too good for FC. My deepest condolences go to his family and friends. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Strazdas wrote: »
    He was indeed. We've seen a fair bit of him this year and he was in Sunday night's episode.

Best of luck to the writers in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The feminazis...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

It's hard watching Robbie tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought a picture of him at the end would have been more appropriate than the announcer talking over the credits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Surreal watching a man act who has just passed away. I actually thought Karl looked reasonably well in tonight's episoded compared to some other recent ones.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭MsWesterosi

Haven't posted on here in a while because I'd stopped watching FC, as there was nothing to really hold my interest.

Recently, I watched a few episodes, and was actually genuinely looking forward to learning more about Nora and Robbie's backstories and was hoping for an expansion on that storyline that would give us more of an in-depth insight into Robbie's childhood.

Heard the sad news that Karl Shiels passed away (R.I.P). By all accounts he seemed like a really decent guy.

Hope you're all keeping well, folks.

I thought a picture of him at the end would have been more appropriate than the announcer talking over the credits

Yeah, thought the same. It would have been more fitting, IMO, if ,after the credits rolled they displayed a picture of him, along with something in text to the effect of: ''Dedicated to the memory of'' or simply ''in memory of.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

Very sad seeing Robbie on screen.

Brendan is making a mockery of the justice system with how easily he makes his journeys home!

Fiona is an evil snob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Yeah, thought the same. It would have been more fitting, IMO, if ,after the credits rolled they displayed a picture of him, along with something in text to the effect of: ''Dedicated to the memory of'' or simply ''in memory of.''

Maybe they'll do that after the final episode he appears in?

branie2 wrote: »
    Fiona is an evil snob.

I've missed quite a lot of it, but from what I've seen, Fiona and Paul haven't even been together a wet week, and she has the feet planted - probably glued - well under the table in that short space of time.

What the heck is her deal anyway? She seems to be going out of her way to antagonise everyone in Carrigstown for no good reason at all. And Paul is some eejit to put up with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Sparko wrote: »
    Very sad seeing Robbie on screen.

Brendan is making a mockery of the justice system with how easily he makes his journeys home!

But he is a master of disguise with his Santa beard!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Niall_76

No talking over the credits on rte player international

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That couldn't even turn the music off :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

The fact that people here are going on about Fiona and how much they hate her surely means she is a dammed good actress. and how many times have I seen people complaining about Robbie (to be fair I did myself... but to myself) and now all I see on social media is what a brilliant actor he was and how he was the favourite!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My mam yesterday - 'poor auld Hughie - he's looking more and more like that fella in the Simpsons behind the bar' .... ie MOE :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

tk123 wrote: »
    My mam yesterday - 'poor auld Hughie - he's looking more and more like that fella in the Simpsons behind the bar' .... ie MOE :pac:

Oh God!! PMSL Yeah he's like a real life Moe! I knew he reminded me of someone :)

At least he's not subjected to prank phone calls, like Moe is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

branie2 wrote: »
    At least he's not subjected to prank phone calls, like Moe is

not yet... Heather might start them soon haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

gubby wrote: »
    The fact that people here are going on about Fiona and how much they hate her surely means she is a dammed good actress. and how many times have I seen people complaining about Robbie (to be fair I did myself... but to myself) and now all I see on social media is what a brilliant actor he was and how he was the favourite!!

I think she is actually very entertaining, such a stirrer. Playing the role very well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

He didn't seem that healthy to me for the past few years - there was something about how he carried himself and while he was never that fat, the weight he did have he didn't seem to hold very well.
    Sources said Ryan died in his sleep after nodding off on the Irish soap Fair City during shoots.

That sounds very strange. A 47 year old man dying suddenly, if it did happen to be drugs then I think people should be made aware of it.

gwalk wrote: »
    not yet... Heather might start them soon haha[/QUOT
    wait till Brendan gets the phone bill in Brazil; it will be huge!

gubby wrote: »

The actress is good, but the writing on FC has always been a bit panto. I think it's the daft scenarios that most people - but I can only really speak for myself - take the mick out of. I've seen quite a few of the FC actors in other productions and their acting cannot be faulted.

I've always taken the p*** out of the storylines and the characters (never the actors themselves), because of how it plays out on screen - which is down to bad writing as opposed to bad acting. After all, the actors can only do the best they can with substandard amateurish scripts, and the fact that they can actually pull it off is testament to their abilities. I know I couldn't do it, especially if I had to act out some of the more far fetched OTT storylines they've had in the past few years. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Nice words from Aisling O'Neill

http://shr.gs/2TAj8Jk

• Advertisement

I'm probably going mad; but are they gearing up for a Dearbhla/Eoin romance????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well if she has the Ram's DNA there's a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Looking at Robbie (Karl) on tonight's episode he looks extremely unwell and seems to be constantly hunched over even when sitting down,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's sad looking at Robbie, he looks very hunched over. He was always a bit but is it just me or is it a lot more severe in the last few episodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

GoneHome wrote: »
    Looking at Robbie (Karl) on tonight's episode he looks extremely unwell and seems to be constantly hunched over even when sitting down,

Seen a clip of him earlier and thought the same. Looked in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

martyoo wrote: »
    GoneHome wrote: »

Poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

martyoo wrote: »

This is why I cannot understand that the producers would continue with Robbies character if he looked so awkward on set.
    Tonight's episode you could hardly see his face in most scenes
    The producers are completely ignorant or just dont care for their staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think they are almost trying to make Fiona into there Kim Tate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This is why I cannot understand that the producers would continue with Robbies character if he looked so awkward on set.
    Tonight's episode you could hardly see his face in most scenes
    The producers are completely ignorant or just dont care for their staff

I think that's unfair. Yeah, his posture has been poor for a long while and he has looked unwell to the extent that it was noticeable. But it didn't affect his acting or his contributions to the show and i'm sure he wanted to be there onset and continue working.

He clearly had health issues which i'm assuming was his own business and probaby kept things to himself, so why should he not work if it was what he wanted to do.

Also, who's to say he didn't confide with the producers and bosses to let them know of health issues and they decided to work around/with them as it was desired by both parties.

Everything's easier to see in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I thought that too.. she might have Daddy issues..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement