Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v9] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭MsWesterosi

The Kim Tate character was very cartoonish when she made her comeback - unlike the earlier version of the character as seen on Classic Emmerdale. However; they've toned her down quite a bit and made her almost likeable in some respects.

Sadly, I can't see FC developing Fiona into a more nuanced, multifaceted character, as FC doesn't do subtlety and nuance very well (or at all, in truth, IMO). As it stands, Fiona is a panto baddie without one redeeming feature, who has been picking on people without motive or provocation since her return. Very much like the newly returned Kim, Fiona seems to derive a perverse kick out of stirring up s*** and hurting people who've never done her wrong. She's downright psychopathic; and even though the actress is very good at playing the part, her antics are going to wear thin after a bit with the viewers. The writers need to tone her down and give her a storyline other than the type she's been given. Or, if they want to stick with the Queen B**** trope, they should invent a decent scenario; preferably a situation which gives her every good reason to want to scheme and plot the downfall of a nemesis.

I thought that too.. she might have Daddy issues..

She probably has a load of daddy issues - look who her father is! :p

But Eoin???? Jeez - it'd be weird to say the least, considering that Debbie left Eoin for Tommy! And that's before you even touch on the age gap. Dearbhla is what? Early twenties? And Eoin is probably over fifty....

Have to say; Brendan has taken to Latin America really well. When first he fled Carrigstown, he looked like your average work burdened, urban GP, (albeit one who just euthanised his love rival) but what a transformation on his return; as these days he's looking every bit the South American revolutionary - beard and all. And when he had that baseball cap on, I was sure I was looking at Fidel Castro's love child, and not some boring Dublin GP (I know it's Brazil and not Cuba, but hey; all revolutionaries have great beards, right? :P).

I wonder if he's been plotting some class of regime change in the depths of the rainforest. It would explain why he's never home to look after Heather. The medical practice is probably a front at this stage! :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In a few years time, Jack and Ruth might fall in love, and we'll have a Romeo and Juliet situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Brendan, what's he like?..getting into the country with only a baseball cap...is there no visa, no checks,?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

The Kim Tate character was very cartoonish when she made her comeback - unlike the earlier version of the character as seen on Classic Emmerdale. However; they've toned her down quite a bit and made her almost likeable in some respects.

Sadly, I can't see FC developing Fiona into a more nuanced, multifaceted character, as FC doesn't do subtlety and nuance very well (or at all, in truth, IMO). As it stands, Fiona is a panto baddie without one redeeming feature, who has been picking on people without motive or provocation since her return. Very much like the newly returned Kim, Fiona seems to derive a perverse kick out of stirring up s*** and hurting people who've never done her wrong. She's downright psychopathic; and even though the actress is very good at playing the part, her antics are going to wear thin after a bit with the viewers. The writers need to tone her down and give her a storyline other than the type she's been given. Or, if they want to stick with the Queen B**** trope, they should invent a decent scenario; preferably a situation which gives her every good reason to want to scheme and plot the downfall of a nemesis.

Oisin is needed back to put her down a peg or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

gubby wrote: »
    The fact that people here are going on about Fiona and how much they hate her surely means she is a dammed good actress.

Not necessarily. Just means she's an obnoxious character. For all we know, the actress could be the same in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Brendan, what's he like?..getting into the country with only a baseball cap...is there no visa, no checks,?

Perhaps he's Dr. José Santos on a fishing trip, if you know what I mean. Wouldn't John Deegan recognise him if they came face to face.

Ellie must be fluent in Irish by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think that's unfair. Yeah, his posture has been poor for a long while and he has looked unwell to the extent that it was noticeable. But it didn't affect his acting or his contributions to the show and i'm sure he wanted to be there onset and continue working.

He clearly had health issues which i'm assuming was his own business and probaby kept things to himself, so why should he not work if it was what he wanted to do.

Also, who's to say he didn't confide with the producers and bosses to let them know of health issues and they decided to work around/with them as it was desired by both parties.

Everything's easier to see in hindsight.

There was an article saying that he was falling asleep on set.

Has anyone ever needed a visa in Carrigstown besides Jake? Even Christiano just decided to come live in the EU and open a business, just like that - same way Brendan could whisk Ellie and Heather off to South America on a whim. And Zoe in the Galapagos, where apparently she stayed on to live, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Mena Mitty wrote: »

Perhaps he's Dr. José Santos on a fishing trip, if you know what I mean. Wouldn't John Deegan recognise him if they came face to face.

Ellie must be fluent in Irish by now.
    They are crap parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thursday 18th July
    Dean goes on the warpath when Hot Pots gets a lousy review. Tempers fray as Heather remains missing. Carol does a good turn for Paul only for it to blow up in her face.
    Sunday 21st July
    Heather urgently readies herself for Brazil, leaving Hughie isolated. Paul swallows his pride and asks Carol and Robbie for help, and Eoghan resolves to settle his feud with Dean.
    Tuesday 23rd July
    A visitor from Charlotte's past forces her to take action. Will is dubious about Cristiano's plans, and Damien tries to balance his finances in the wake of the news about Saoirse.
    Wednesday 24th July
    Decco is furious with Charlotte for putting the family in grave danger. Meanwhile, a figure from her past shocks Erica, and Cristiano refuses to listen to Will's advice.
    Thursday 25th July
    Charlotte takes a huge risk in a bid to get Julia away from Ritchie. Erica has it out with Philip over their split and Damien tries to hide his money troubles from Mairead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She probably has a load of daddy issues - look who her father is! :p

But Eoin???? Jeez - it'd be weird to say the least, considering that Debbie left Eoin for Tommy! And that's before you even touch on the age gap. Dearbhla is what? Early twenties? And Eoin is probably over fifty....

I think Dearbhla is supposed to be nearer to late twenties (ie. she's spending a lot of time with Dean and Cristiano for example) so it wouldn't be as controversial as it sounds. She wouldn't be the first young woman of that age to have a relationship with an older man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Sparko

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think Dearbhla is supposed to be nearer to late twenties (ie. she's spending a lot of time with Dean and Cristiano for example) so it wouldn't be as controversial as it sounds. She wouldn't be the first young woman of that age to have a relationship with an older man.

I was wondering about her age, the following article suggests she was 17 when she was introduced in late 2010:
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/soap-storylines/2010/0907/424472-thedillons/

So assuming they haven't aged her behind the scenes she should be 25 or 26. I really don't think they're going down the romance route, I hope not anyway.

Sparko wrote: »
    I was wondering about her age, the following article suggests she was 17 when she was introduced in late 2010:

So assuming they haven't aged her behind the scenes she should be 25 or 26. I really don't think they're going down the romance route, I hope not anyway.

Yes, I guess strictly speaking the Dearbhla character is supposed to be 25-26.....I suspect the actress is slightly older, maybe 27-28

I actually wouldn't be that bothered by such a storyline. Given how strong minded and feisty Dearbhla is, there would no suggestion at all of her being taken advantage of by Eoghan

I don't think they will do the whole shock relationship thing, even though the scenes between them seem to have some unintentional subtext .

I only started watching again recently, but I've been told by some faithful FC viewers that Tommy's son Zack did a short stint in Carrigstown a while back, and it seemed to them as if he was destined to have an affair with Jane, based upon their interactions. Anyway, it didn't happen. But I have noticed that FC do this a lot, i.e. random characters suddenly having scenes together for no good reason, (Orla and Decco a while back as an example) and sometimes there seems to be a mild implication of a future connection there. Usually, when other soaps do that it's almost a guarantee of a future affair/relationship, but not in Fair City land. In FC these out of the blue ''friendships'' disappear as quickly as they appeared when a new storyline comes along.

I hate what they've done to Dearbhla's character. The first incarnation of Dearbhla was a thoughtful, gentle, intelligent character - in fact she was my favourite Dillon, and they've completely wrecked her by turning her into this humourless, argumentative feminist type with terrible dress sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

mengele wrote: »
    Oisin is needed back to put her down a peg or two

Oooh Oisín and Fiona, now that would be good. FC Writers, please get him back

I remember when I was at college in 2011 Dearbha was a tad younger than me. I think she was doing her leaving cert!

I don't think they will do the whole shock relationship thing, even though the scenes between them seem to have some unintentional subtext .

I only started watching again recently, but I've been told by some faithful FC viewers that Tommy's son Zack did a short stint in Carrigstown a while back, and it seemed to them as if he was destined to have an affair with Jane, based upon their interactions. Anyway, it didn't happen. But I have noticed that FC do this a lot, i.e. random characters suddenly having scenes together for no good reason, (Orla and Decco a while back as an example) and sometimes there seems to be a mild implication of a future connection there. Usually, when other soaps do that it's almost a guarantee of a future affair/relationship, but not in Fair City land. In FC these out of the blue ''friendships'' disappear as quickly as they appeared when a new storyline comes along.

I hate what they've done to Dearbhla's character. The first incarnation of Dearbhla was a thoughtful, gentle, intelligent character - in fact she was my favourite Dillon, and they've completely wrecked her by turning her into this humourless, argumentative feminist type with terrible dress sense.

I like her as a character but she can be a bit too argumentative and quick to judge. When she softens up and smiles she is likeable, but once she gets into arguing mode, she becomes unreasonable and determined to have the last word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

OK Eoin.........:eek::D

I thought it was Joe Wilkinson gone grey...........:P

OK Eoin.........:eek::D

Sh*** my cover's blown! Better hop back in the taxi and pick up a few fares before Johnny Greene steals them all! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was only thinking yesterday that Eoin being bullied by the kids didn't seem to go anywhere. It stopped suddenly and all seemed a pointless throwaway side story. Unless i missed something.

I was only thinking yesterday that Eoin being bullied by the kids didn't seem to go anywhere. It stopped suddenly and all seemed a pointless throwaway side story. Unless i missed something.

It was strange the gave back the phone with all the photos deleted and it's almost like he forgot about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Eoin is some miserable git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Hopefully Bob got a one way ticket for Renee...

Why would Robbie and Carol go to Vino's after night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Sparko

Do the Collinses not have house insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

There’s absolutely no way Paul n Ruthie are going near the park tomorrow.

“I’m sorry darlin something popped up”

So predictable

"..a hotel with a spa"........how did that get through.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

That’s fair city for ya.

They were printing out posters to save the park ( which haven’t seen in a fair while now that I think of it) and that was dropped too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Paul is as thick as

two-short-planks.jpg

How can anyone get to his age and be so thick. Charging into McCoys to tackle Caddle - howabout sitting down and spending some time with your daughter :mad:
    I know 3 year olds with more emotional intelligence than Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

jos28 wrote: »
    Paul is as thick as

two-short-planks.jpg

How can anyone get to his age and be so thick. Charging into McCoys to tackle Caddle - howabout sitting down and spending some time with your daughter :mad: I know 3 year olds with more emotional intelligence than Paul
    None of the so called parents in fair city give a damn about their kids.

The amount of people who believe every word there kids say is scary.

• Advertisement

The amount of people who believe every word there kids say is scary.

Indeed! It was a relief to hear Carol excuse it as "He's seven"! How old in Ruth? Anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GeneKranz

I think she's 9. Seem to remember her being born around a year before my daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Alice1

So is yer wan (Paul's squeeze) going to report Brendan? I forget her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Alice1 wrote: »
    So is yer wan (Paul's squeeze) going to report Brendan? I forget her name.

Fiona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

Report Brendan for killing Floyd? And she killed her own husband? Now that's a pot calling the kettle black!

• Advertisement

None of the so called parents in fair city give a damn about their kids.

Nearest thing to real life i've seen in any soap tbh...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

branie2 wrote: »
    Fiona

she had potential as a character, but she has quickly become a pain in the hoop.

So, Brendan and Heather are going back to Brazil? Thank feck! Usually, I hate how Fair City storylines drag on, and on, and on ad infinitum, but this whole saga of brain injured Heather, who acts more like a female Forrest Gump crossed with that time honoured comedy staple, the dizzy blonde with an IQ of -30, than a person who suffered a brain trauma,(and in fairness, should be having some form of rehabilitation, instead of being shunted around from post to pillar like the human equivalent of pass the parcel) was past its sell by date from the minute Renee started foisting her on poor auld Hughie with his dodgy alcohol pickled liver and his nice light blue shirt. Sadly, I don't think they'll get to haul a**e back to Brazil anytime soon, now that spooky s*** stirrer Fiona is on the case.

Speaking of Fiona, according to at least one person I know, she's as sinister and creepy as feck. I was actually told by this person that they mute the telly and look away when she comes on, as she creeps them the hell out of them with the voice, the movements, the small psychotic smirk, and the long piece of hair that needs to get to know a scissors. Come to think of it, give her some gothy makeup and a steampunk/vampire outfit and you have the next female protagonist in Tim Burton film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

That will be Lee's big idea, fake evidence of a breaking and entering scenario to claim off the insurance, forgetting that Bella knows the brother left the door on the latch.

Then pressurise Bella to say nuthin to the insurance assessor >>> more drama on the house sale deal

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GeneKranz

So, Brendan and Heather are going back to Brazil? Thank feck! Usually, I hate how Fair City storylines drag on, and on, and on ad infinitum, but this whole saga of brain injured Heather, who acts more like a female Forrest Gump crossed with that time honoured comedy staple, the dizzy blonde with an IQ of -30, than a person who suffered a brain trauma,(and in fairness, should be having some form of rehabilitation, instead of being shunted around from post to pillar like the human equivalent of pass the parcel) was past its sell by date from the minute Renee started foisting her on poor auld Hughie with his dodgy alcohol pickled liver and his nice light blue shirt. Sadly, I don't think they'll get to haul a**e back to Brazil anytime soon, now that spooky s*** stirrer Fiona is on the case.

Speaking of Fiona, according to at least one person I know, she's as sinister and creepy as feck. I was actually told by this person that they mute the telly and look away when she comes on, as she creeps them the hell out of them with the voice, the movements, the small psychotic smirk, and the long piece of hair that needs to get to know a scissors. Come to think of it, give her some gothy makeup and a steampunk/vampire outfit and you have the next female protagonist in Tim Burton film.

I missed your wit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The back door was left open so it would t matter if they had house insurance or not, they didn’t lock up the place properly.

Interesting interview with the Deegan actor in the Indo. I didn't realise he had had such a troubled earlier life, including being in prison :

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/i-had-a-spiritual-awakening-fair-city-star-tommy-oneill-on-how-he-turned-his-life-around-after-prison-38327278.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

John Connors is in Fair City!?

Karl was just not involved in FC, he was a king among the acting community, he had his own theatre company, so maybe JC worked with him, or maybe like most of the mourners, he just respected Mr Shields

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement