Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway -> Shannon Airport

Options
  • 03-10-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

I need to get from Galway to Shannon Airport. Ill be working out in Parkmore and need to get there for the 17:55 flight. So arriving at 16:55 at the latest.

Is bus eireann the only option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Probably the most cost-effective. I mean you could get a train to Six mile bridge and get a cab across but I wouldn't have a clue about timetable suitability or cost.
    Bus Eireann are the only company mentioned on Shannons website.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bus Eireann unless you have car really
    I don't think any other bus caters, at least from Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who's paying for the trip? If its a work trip, then Lots of companies use a hackney for this sort of journey.

I see Galway Shuttle are now offering a shared shuttle option: it's not guaranteed but if they match you with someone else you each get 30 knocked off the price. https://www.galwayshuttle.com/shared-shuttle/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Who's paying for the trip? If its a work trip, then Lots of companies use a hackney for this sort of journey.

I see Galway Shuttle are now offering a shared shuttle option: it's not guaranteed but if they match you with someone else you each get 30 knocked off the price. https://www.galwayshuttle.com/shared-shuttle/

Works paying, but doubt they would be up for it to save 30 minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Works paying, but doubt they would be up for it to save 30 minutes :)

I used to work in a place where people got taxis to and from Dublin airport so you'd never know!

Watch out for the difference between the Express bus and the normal one. Normal one goes all around the place while the Express goes straight to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP I would aim for 16.00 PM myself at the latest, you are leaving a very tight window aiming to get there at the latest by 16.55 one hour before the flight, there could be traffic delays or cumbersome check in customers or security problems. Always aim to leave an hour and half - two hour window before your flight, its always worked for me.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

OP I would aim for 16.00 PM myself at the latest, you are leaving a very tight window aiming to get there at the latest by 16.55 one hour before the flight, there could be traffic delays or cumbersome check in customers or security problems. Always aim to leave an hour and half - two hour window before your flight, its always worked for me.

This is Shannon we're talking about, not Heathrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This is Shannon we're talking about, not Heathrow!

Yeah, Shannon takes like 15-20 minutes to get through from front door to boarding gate

I think the X51 is the easiest OP, its just over an hour iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Route 51 link

X51 departs Galway at 1400 arrives in Shannon at 1510.
    Loads of time to spare.

the next suitable is the route 51 1505 departure which has the OP in Shannon for 1649.
    Do able but no room for error/traffic.

The X51 at 1500 DOES NOT serve Shannon Airport.

Just drive and expense the parking and fuel, anything else is hardship.

Even if I was paying myself I’d either drive and pay for parking or get a family member to drop me down, feck dealing with busses especially when traveling for work always take the easiest option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Just drive and expense the parking and fuel, anything else is hardship.

Even if I was paying myself I’d either drive and pay for parking or get a family member to drop me down, feck dealing with busses especially when traveling for work always take the easiest option.
    Some employers will insist on using public transport where it is available :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're working out of Parkmore, then getting a hackney will save you a lot more than 30 minutes: I'd allow 1 hour to travel from there to the city (may only need 30 minutes, but if a flight is involved I'd allow the hour), and then there's the bus-journey time from the city centre, which would be at least 20 minutes longer than a hackney journey from Parkmore.

So that's an extra hour of chargeable time which could be spent at your client site otherwise.

Depending on who you're working for, your employer may not want the client seeing you hopping on the bus in company time, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

If its work travel get a taxi or rent a car.

Advertisement