Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When quoting a client, should I account the supplier's VAT into my prices?

• 03-10-2018 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello,

I feel like its a bit silly question, but here it goes

Whenever I am quoting a client I take my suppliers prices with VAT., for example;
    A sheet of some material from a supplier costs 50 euro. plus 23% VAT and I pay him 61.5 euro.
    So for my material expenses, I use cost with VAT - €61.5. and then on top of that I add my 23% vat.
    My business partner says I don't need to do that since we get this VAT back. We're registered for VAT by the way

However, I don't get such mathematics. If my supplier sends me an invoice for 61.5, I have to pay this 23% value-added tax out of my pocket.

or what?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

No you don't need to take the VAT you pay your supplier into account as it's not an expense. You claim the money back, so the supplies are only costing you €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    No you don't need to take the VAT you pay your supplier into account as it's not an expense. You claim the money back, so the supplies are only costing you €50.

Thanks ACADastiv. I appreciate your response.

So when I have to pay my supplier upfront for 100 sheets of material I have to pay 6150, which is 1150 out of my pocket, before I even get paid for the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Yes, that is correct,

By adding the 23% on top of the vat inclusive rate, you are effectively adding a 23% profit margin on top of it all - and quite likely pricing yourself out of competition..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

alex_r wrote: »

So when I have to pay my supplier upfront for 100 sheets of material I have to pay 6150, which is 1150 out of my pocket, before I even get paid for the work?

Yes, a standard set-up wold be that you pay your supplier after 30 days credit.
    You bill your client and get paid after 30 days credit (or whatever credit terms you've agreed to)

You buy 1 sheet @ €50 + 23% VAT on 01-Jan
    You use the sheet on a job in January and on 31-Jan, you bill your Client:
    1 sheet @ €55 (10% mark-up) + vat @ 23%
    100 hours @ €10 per hour + vat @ 13.5% (or might be 23% depending on type of work)

Your bill to Client:
    Materials: €55 (assume 10% mark-up or whatever)
    Labour: €1000
    Vat @ 23%: €12.65 (23% of €55)
    VAT @ 13.5%: €135 (13.5% of €1000)
    Total: €1,202.65

You pay your supplier on 01-Feb: €61.50
    At the end of Feb (if you are on a receipts basis), your VAT return is the VAT you paid on the sheet: €-11.50 (you would get this back)
    01-Mar, your Client pays you €1,202.65
    At the end of April, your VAT return is the VAT you collected: €147.65

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

Thank you very much, lads! That helped to clear things up a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You bill your client and get paid after 30 days credit (or whatever credit terms you've agreed to)

100 hours @ €10 per hour + vat @ 13.5% (or might be 23% depending on type of work)

Your bill to Client:

At the end of Feb (if you are on a receipts basis), your VAT return is the VAT you paid on the sheet: €-11.50 (you would get this back)

Why are you using 23% on materials. That should be 13.5 until you get to the 2 thirds rule

alex_r wrote: »

Yeah I know you’re going to pay your supplier upfront for the supplies, but the flip side is that you’ll be collecting VAT on sales from customers and not handing that over to Revenue until you do your VAT return. So chances are you’ll actually have more VAT coming in from sales than you’ll actually be paying out on purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Your bill to Client:

Are these replies from accountants or trades people?

As thepenturner says I recommend you check this as I don't think it's correct. I'm not an accountant but I have hired a lot of trades..

Here it is from revenue.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-on-services/services-taxable-at-the-rate-of-the-goods-the-two/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Op, you could always bill materials and labour on a job on separate invoices to client to avoid two thirds rule. Just pointing out

Who is your client?
    Practically if it is a consumer rather than another business they might reasonably expect that any quote includes VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Most businesses (or they'd not be in business long) are in a VAT owing situation at any given time - and not out of pocket. For a VAT registered business VAT is not an expense (cars over 25k, petrol and some travel exps etc.) Excepted.

Who is your client?
    Practically if it is a consumer rather than another business they might reasonably expect that any quote includes VAT.

He is including VAT in his quotes. The problem is he's including it twice - once on the cost of his materials and again on the total.

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    He is including VAT in his quotes. The problem is he's including it twice - once on the cost of his materials and again on the total.
    Re reading the OP I see this now

Advertisement