Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Gate Automation Options

Options
  • 03-10-2018 3:26pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a sliding automated gate coming in a few weeks and the control options will be radio fobs and hardwired intercom. Id love to have a Ring Doorbell and be able to let in a delivery for example but as far as I can see the only option would be to have the Ring and then a GSM dialer. As anyone seen any smarter gate control options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've not read past the title but there might be something of interest in here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/9l2skk/how_to_automate_any_gate_opener_for_50_including/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

You could try a Doorbird and ditch the hardwired intercom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Home Assistant. https://www.home-assistant.io/
    https://www.home-assistant.io/demo/

With Home Assistant you can make a sensor out of any home automation gear like Ring video doorbell and use it to trigger anything. I have my Ring doorbell motion detection flickering my Hue lights in the sitting room. My back yard camera motion detection triggers a light (and it would be easy to get Google home to say or play something). I also have a Hue motion sensor sending me a notification of there's movement in the hallway when the router says nobody is at home. It's a blank canvas. You can run it in a raspberry pi.

How far is the gate from the house? Do you have a switch to open the gate in the house? If so you'd just need something to go across those terminals pulsing closed to open the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

fergalom wrote: »
    You could try a Doorbird and ditch the hardwired intercom.

Was looking at this myself. Reviews on Amazon aren't great for it.
    This and the Ring elite seems the only Ethernet (and even PoE ) available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've mine working on my lightwaverf systems

The relays are 22 euro and I paralled it to the open button on my phone intercom.

So "Ok Google Open Gate"works

I had to add and event

Open + 3 second delay + close, I call that event for iot reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭fergalom

john_doe. wrote: »
    Was looking at this myself. Reviews on Amazon aren't great for it.
    This and the Ring elite seems the only Ethernet (and even PoE ) available.

Find it excellent, trialled a ring and it was not great.
    Doorbird is ethernet, poe and wifi. Also has an api if so inclined.

If you dont need video and intercom and only want open/close, then there are many ways to achieve this.

Advertisement