Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DHL charging for customers clearance

• 03-10-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello!

I have similar trouble. My wife ordered some goods from the IHERB online shop, which costed us 37.61 EUR (including delivery charge for DHL which is huge - 14.25 EUR). However, DHL want me to pay import duty which is 23.23 EUR! When I looked to their invoice, I see that it has two parts: the VAT import duty itself which is 8.73 and their additional fee of 14.50. It is ridiculous! I have already payed them for the shipping itself (huge money, comparing to the goods price itself) and they want more. I am OK to pay 23% VAT, but not such huge fee.

By the way, 23% from 37.61 is 8.65, not 8.73 - no idea where they got such number.

Do I have an option to refuse receiving shipment and refund from IHERB? Or an option to pay just VAT and receive my parcel?

P.S. As far as I understood, there was no option to use ANPOST, only DHL for some reason. IHERB online store warned about duty charges for Ireland, but not about additional DHL fees.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ok, a few things.
    You originally re-opened a 2 year old thread. Please don’t do that, open a new one.
    There is a charter here, in a stickied thread at the top, please read it.
    Do not call companies scammers because you don’t understand how imports work. Everything over a certain amount is liable to VAT and/or Duty. If this is the case it must be cleared customs and that is not a free service. The courier charge is collected to delivered, but from outside the EU it must be cleared.
    The value of your shipment doesn’t matter to a courier company, unless it is high value. It doesn’t cost less because the shipment is only worth a dollar.
    Depending on where it came in from, €14 is fairly reasonable for a DHL shipment.
    Next time get it shipped via the postal service, and Post will charge you €10 for the clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pkozlov

You originally re-opened a 2 year old thread. Please don’t do that, open a new one.
    OK, sorry about that, will not happen again. :-)
    If this is the case it must be cleared customs and that is not a free service.
    OK, makes sense, understand that. However, was surprised that all fees and taxes can be bigger than the price of the goods itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

pkozlov wrote: »

OK, makes sense, understand that. However, was surprised that all fees and taxes can be bigger than the price of the goods itself.

Have a read through this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554
    from the online buying and auctions forum, and it explains how importing from outside the EU works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

pkozlov wrote: »

The value of the shipment has no effect on the charges for customs clearance, it would be a flat fee as DHL would do the same work whether your wife bought 1 widget or 1million.. the only thing affected by the value of the shipment is the vat and/or duty you pay

Advertisement