Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you live without Windows and go Linux only?

Options
  • 03-10-2018 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I'm going to start buying components for a new build. Nothing extravagant. CPU <€100 etc.

Windows is very expensive, and I know there are ways around this but that's not what I'm asking.

Could you have a very good experience just installing Linux? I'm prepared for it to be a bit more difficult installing software, plenty of guides out there.

But besides internet, videos, music and email, can you play games on a linux build, say something Ubuntu or Mint? Would Football Manager and turn based games work on it? Hows about more demanding games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'd imagine drivers for the GPU would be tricky enough to get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They are, thats the main thing holding me back.

Linux is fine for a lot of strategy games ive found, XCOM 2, CiV V in particular but there's a decent ream of my steam account thats supported.

You can install Ubuntu on a bootable USB, load it up, install Steam and sign in, this'll show you games that you own that are officially supported.

The PCgamingwiki can give you more detail on specific games

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NightStone

Here is the steam link for all games for Linux + steam.
    ( Apologies if it's not updated but gives a general idea ) .

I've been windows free for many years

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux

Obviously steamOS is done by steam themselves and very popular supporting controllers all kinds of graphics etc.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm going to start buying components for a new build. Nothing extravagant. CPU <€100 etc.

Windows is very expensive, and I know there are ways around this but that's not what I'm asking.

Could you have a very good experience just installing Linux?

Yes, it is much easier to install than Windows.
    I'm prepared for it to be a bit more difficult installing software, plenty of guides out there.

General software is easier as the 'package manager' does all required once you select the software.
    But besides internet, videos, music and email, can you play games on a linux build, say something Ubuntu or Mint? Would Football Manager and turn based games work on it? Hows about more demanding games?
    That is where you could have problems and/or work to do.

SteamOS is a good suggestion for gaming.

Most Linux distributions are not geared towards games so could lack support for some of your gaming hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Think I'll just dualboot or use a live version for now. I have used it before but not for a sustained period to check I'm happy with everything.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Think I'll just dualboot or use a live version for now. I have used it before but not for a sustained period to check I'm happy with everything.

The only real advice I would give would be to try several distros and maybe different desktop environments to see which is most comfortable for you.

We would each have our personal preferences.

Maybe try

Mint
    PClinuxOS
    Suse
    Fedora
    Ubuntu

That should provide a reasonable cross section.

Most of all ---- Have fun while doing it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

The only real advice I would give would be to try several distros and maybe different desktop environments to see which is most comfortable for you.

We would each have our personal preferences.

Maybe try

Mint
    PClinuxOS
    Suse
    Fedora
    Ubuntu

That should provide a reasonable cross section.

Most of all ---- Have fun while doing it! :)

Half thinking of getting an old but decent laptop up and running with just linux, everyone i know has said Ubuntu, just curious, is your list in preference ?

I have ubuntu on a partition on this laptop already but wanna scrub windows and just use it for photo editing and just install darktable

Also, one other worry is that linux wont have all the drivers?

Thanks in advance

BKWDR wrote: »
    Half thinking of getting an old but decent laptop up and running with just linux, everyone i know has said Ubuntu, just curious, is your list in preference ?

I have ubuntu on a partition on this laptop already but wanna scrub windows and just use it for photo editing and just install darktable

Also, one other worry is that linux wont have all the drivers?

Thanks in advance

No, not listed in preference ..... just a few (usually) easy to use distros that came to mind when I posted.

I prefer PCLinuxOS - either KDE or Mate desktop environments - as I am now more comfortable with that distro.

Mint is a well built and maintained alternative, using a different 'packaging' method for its software.

Really the biggest difference a new user will see is between the different desktop environments.

All I can suggest is that you spend time running some alternatives so you can make an informed decision for you, and not just accept what my, or others, preferences are.
    I look on it akin to getting a car ..... check out opinion generally, but test drive to ensure it suits you, and then select colours and accessories to suit you.

Unless the proposed laptop has some very odd hardware it is very likely that all of it will be supported by Linux. Linux can be behind somewhat in support for new hardware due to the manufacturers of that hardware not releasing drivers for Linux or the information for independent drivers to be built.

Most of all
    take your time and expect to know nothing about how it works and to have to learn.
    On the surface it will be relatively familiar, but other than that it is completely different to Windows.

One of the reasons I suggest PCLinuxOS is that it is very easy to get considered answers to questions asked, without any negativity. Of course it does happen once in a while, but as it is aimed at new users, and Desktop use, new-user questions are expected.
    Most questions are already answered on the forum which is easy to search
    provided you know what to search for of course :)

Anyway, enough of my preferences.
    Please do your own research, and you should find you have a more comfortable time with one or two distros than the others.
    The Live CD or USB is the best method for initial investigation.

Enjoy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You can download and install windows for free, and just not activate it. You just won't be able to personalize it much is all, like changing desktop background, icon sizes, task bar etc.

Unless you have a specific technical reason to use Linux, I'd stick with Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Unless you're a gamer, I don't really see many reasons for a home user to use Windows these days. There's a great selection of Linux software out there, and if you want a word processor, use LibreOffice or the Google suite. I use PCLinuxOS myself, but a great place to start is either Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I use linux 99% only use windows for Microsoft office although i am increasingly just using the cloud for that.
    I don't play games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    ...and if you want a word processor, use LibreOffice or the Google suite...

Will these programs allow you to properly view and edit exactly in the same manner as the documents would appear in Windows? E.g. if I want to work on a document and send it to work colleagues who are using Windows, can I be certain that the formatting etc. will be the same?

Advertisement