Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

higher or lower maths??

Options
  • 03-10-2018 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15 Copal

Hi, just wondering if you boardsies could give me some advice, im a 6th year doing LC2019 and for the course i want, science(dn200) in UCD i need minimium 510ish points with a H6 or O2 in maths. even if i dont get the points and go down the PLC route, i still need an O3 or H6 in maths. I really do not have any interest in maths and am looking to get the bare minimum i need for my course, so would it be easier trying to get the O2/O3 or the H6? cheers:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Copal

Well I can offer you my advice based on what my daughter did for her LC this year......She got a B in HL maths in the JC but hated maths and she knew she would be doing OL for her LC which she did and got an O1 with little work and no extra classes or anything...She just did her homework and missed no classes.

Now she needed 520 for her course so she put in the time not spent on HL maths into her other subjects and she got 541 points. She wasn't prepared to overload herself or take extra subjects like loads in her year were doing .

What did you get in the JC ? An O3 should be very achievable and you'll save yourself a lot of stress ....My daughter didn't overload herself and I think that was the key to her success . She did 6 HL and maths at OL and just studied at a steady pace with no grinds or revision courses in any subject and she did very well. I saw alot of disappointed faces this year on results day of those that did honours maths for the 25 points as it took from their other subjects. ....

Hi, thanks a million for your help and a big congrats to your daughter, i got a B in HL junior cert as well so hopefully as youre saying an 03 should be handy enough for me to get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

With a B in HL JC you are certainly well capable of an O3 in OL LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Copal wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if you boardsies could give me some advice, im a 6th year doing LC2019 and for the course i want, science(dn200) in UCD i need minimium 510ish points with a H6 or O2 in maths. even if i dont get the points and go down the PLC route, i still need an O3 or H6 in maths. I really do not have any interest in maths and am looking to get the bare minimum i need for my course, so would it be easier trying to get the O2/O3 or the H6? cheers:pac:

I would have thought higher level maths would be a necessity for a science course

Advertisement