Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automating walk-in wardrobe lights?

• 03-10-2018 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everybody. We have a walk-in wardrobe (basically the small box room with wardrobes on all walls) and was wondering if there's a way of automating the light switch to trigger from a motion sensor?

I have Hue but the light fitting in the room has 6 GU10s so the cost of 6 Hue GU10s and a Hue motion sensor/dimmer would be saucy enough. Even the Innr ones are £14 each! Any ideas on a workable and cheaper (!) solution? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There are loads of cheap motion activated lights on amazon - there's probably not much reason why this needs to be smart right? You are not going to be wanting to turn on the lights in the wardrobe while on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

keane2097 wrote: »
    There are loads of cheap motion activated lights on amazon - there's probably not much reason why this needs to be smart right? You are not going to be wanting to turn on the lights in the wardrobe while on holidays.

The GU10s are pointed in different directions at the various wardrobes so they'd likely not all trigger at the same time. Don't want to have to go in waving my hands around to get them all to activate and that definitely wouldn't pass the wife test. There is a window in the room plus the only reason to have smart lighting isn't just to be able to turn on the lights while on holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You asked for a cheap option it's just a suggestion. If you want hue level operation you may need to pay hue level prices, you get what you pay for. If you Google 'cheap smart bulbs' you'll see plenty of reviews, not too many are actually cheap and the consensus is the hue bulbs are the dearest for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

keane2097 wrote: »
    You asked for a cheap option it's just a suggestion. If you want hue level operation you may need to pay hue level prices, you get what you pay for. If you Google 'cheap smart bulbs' you'll see plenty of reviews, not too many are actually cheap and the consensus is the hue bulbs are the dearest for a reason.

I suppose the question really is, is there a smart light switch that is triggerable from a motion sensor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I suppose the question really is, is there a smart light switch that is triggerable from a motion sensor?

A fibaro switch maybe, with a door or motion sensor. You would also need a hub to build the logic, so if thats the only room you are doing then hue might be cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Why not just replace the wall switch with something like this?

https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/pir-sensor---replaces-wall-switch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Elgato Eve do door sensors, i have one on my back door, they work with apple home. when the back door opens the light comes on outside. It can send alerts to your phone etc when the door is opened. They arent cheap though, like all of this stuff.

You could put them on your wardrobes, when door opens the light pointing at that wardrobe comes on, when it closes they go off. You would still need smart bulbs and a sensor for each wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Can you install a normal motion sensor on the ceiling

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=motion+sensor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agreed this is definitely a case for a ceiling mounted PIR, no need for smart lights just automation, I've two in my house about 30 smart lamps, but PIR to regular lamp has it's place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I use Ikea motion kits to do this on a few wardrobes, closets and basement stairs, works great. There is minimal install, no wiring, replacing the GU10's with smart ones and pair them to the same PIR and you're done. Only maintenance will be the battery in the PIR every so often. Philips Hue has motion sensors and GU10s as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

You could use a wired Xiaomi switch and a Xiaomi Motion sensor, although this requires a Xiaomi hub. So it is expensive but make sense if you are going to automate lights & other things in your house as Xiaomi are much cheaper then the alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

You can use the ikea smart traditional gu10s (used to be 7e each) in conjunction with the hue hub.

That’s the setup I have, means you get the benefit of the hue app/software and accessories but significantly cheaper bulbs

Advertisement