Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Signal Downstairs

Options
  • 03-10-2018 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice as have given up talking to Three. Over past couple of weeks I have little to no internet coverage on my mobile phone downstairs. It constantly drops to 2g. Once I go upstairs I have 4g almost instantly and it works perfectly. In fact as soon as I park in my driveway the signal drops. I live in a large residential estate and the only change is a new development behind my house. Any idea what could be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

angeline wrote: »
    Looking for some advice as have given up talking to Three. Over past couple of weeks I have little to no internet coverage on my mobile phone downstairs. It constantly drops to 2g. Once I go upstairs I have 4g almost instantly and it works perfectly. In fact as soon as I park in my driveway the signal drops. I live in a large residential estate and the only change is a new development behind my house. Any idea what could be causing this?

The new development behind your house is probably blocking Three's signal near ground level. Upstairs, you may have line-of-sight view of their tower. Insulation and A-Rated double glazing also have a major impact on mobile signals.

Three are generally the worst network. If you try Eir or Vodafone, you will probably get a better performance. However, all networks can have blackspots indoors in modern well insulated buildings.

The best solution is to use fixed-line Broadband and WiFi within the home, and only depend on mobile when away from home. Eir offer WiFi calling, which will guarantee you voice-coverage indoors if you have WiFi from fixed Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

The new development behind your house is probably blocking Three's signal near ground level. Upstairs, you may have line-of-sight view of their tower. Insulation and A-Rated double glazing also have a major impact on mobile signals.

Three are generally the worst network. If you try Eir or Vodafone, you will probably get a better performance. However, all networks can have blackspots indoors in modern well insulated buildings.

The best solution is to use fixed-line Broadband and WiFi within the home, and only depend on mobile when away from home. Eir offer WiFi calling, which will guarantee you voice-coverage indoors if you have WiFi from fixed Broadband.

Thanks for your reply. The houses in the new development behind my house appear particularly high and quite close so much so that neighbours are concerned that we will have a loss of natural light in to our kitchens therefore I guess you're right that this is causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Repeaters are now legal. A good one costs about €600. Go splits with your neighbours for one and place its own antenna on your roof.

Advertisement