Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due date by conception?

Options
  • 03-10-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

3rd child on the way any day now but something bothering me this time.

We know exact date of conception, January 3rd.
    Every online calculator I use tells me Sept 26th.
    I’m guessing this is a lot more exact than the date of last period way of calculating?

Hospital have due date of 4th October because they don’t seem to want to use date of conception even though we’re 100% on that.
    They’re also working off the 1 and only scan we had months ago. 3 weeks ago it was supposedly an 8lb baby, week before last because it’s dropped they’re saying maybe 6.5lb because there’s more fluid than they thought. So they actually don’t have a clue of size really.

My wife is easy going but it’s niggling at me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Due date is fairly meaningless no matter how it is calculated, babies just don't always arrive on their due date so you just have to use it as a general indication.

The date the hospital came up with was most likely based on that scan you had, it's called a dating scan and it based off the size/development of the baby and how it compares to how babies typically look and measure up on any particular day. As time goes on figuring out a due date this way is less accurate so that's why they use the scan from ages ago.

I wouldn't be concerned or listening to estimates of weight for baby, they are notoriously incorrect,as I said, as time goes on, measuring and estimating is harder to do.

Basically I am saying don't get hung up on dates and measurements, baby will arrive when it wants and will weigh what it weighs. Just enjoy your last few days before they arrive, life is about to change, for the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just because you did the deed on January 3rd doesn't mean that this is when baby was conceived. Sperm can live for 5-6 days in the womb, so it's actually more likely that the baby was conceived in the days after intercourse than on that date itself.

Hospitals usually date a pregnancy from the date of the woman's last period, or from the gestational age of the baby on the growth scan. These generally are more accurate than dating from the day of intercourse.

But as greenttc said, babies come when they feel like it regardless!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Had my third child recently. Could also pinpoint date of conception exactly. It never tied into the dates the hospital believed were my due dates. Baby measured spot on to my conception date at 12 weeks and consultant agreed to a due date based on that, measured a week bigger at 2 emergency visits at 14/15 weeks, spot on at 20 weeks to my last period (not the conception date, and they use the due date decided at the 20 week scan), and I think 5/6 days ahead for the rest of the time.(roughly).
    It bugged the sh&t out of me for about 21 weeks, but eventually I just gave up. Turned out the baby was far larger than anticipated anyway so it didn't matter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

it's better if you're given a later due date anyway. If the baby is late, and they schedule her in for induction or C-section for being 10 days/2 weeks overdue, she'd have that couple of extra days on the initial due date of Sept. 26th, so it's not actually a bad thing.

Advertisement