Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh Networks are the future?

Options
  • 03-10-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭

So I work in a tech role, supporting IP based cameras. One of the cameras has a horrible time with mesh networks, due to the way they work, the constant requirement for a stable connection is affected by the nodes of the mesh networks.

I mentioned this to a customer, and he got right uppity and stated that mesh is the future. Now, I don't have one myself, but from my limited knowledge of it, mesh is far from the future and more of a stop gap to fix the never ending issue of Wi-Fi coverage. While i'm sure it works fine for most devices that don't mind the odd drop in speeds or changing from node to node, for streaming devices that require both the same upload and download at the same time, it doesn't appear to be great.

So, what do ye reckon? Are mesh networks the future, or just something to cover up the failings of Wi-Fi range until something like Li-Fi or a newer technology comes along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its still half duplex so yes you're right if a device has heavy traffic in both directions its somewhat hampered.
    One of the cameras has a horrible time with mesh networks, due to the way they work, the constant requirement for a stable connection is affected by the nodes of the mesh networks.

Not sure on this bit unless you mean straight repeaters. Modern meshs use multiple radios but the cheapo/old option is to just repeat out the same channel that creates a game of chinese whispers that RTSP/similar would despise. Modern units should manage ok up to a certain number of cameras/combined bandwidth.

Long term its an arms race in cities and mesh will have to die off as every house is using every band possible to aggregate bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, these customers wouldn't be splashing out on the most expensive systems. Most we've come across as using Google Mesh (American customers) and i've nothing but negative feedback due to what I am convinced is the mesh network. Even had some customers who upgraded to a mesh system and they're suddenly having problems when they were not before, but still blame the camera!

I have a friend who installed networks, and he uses the UniFi APs, and they're unbelievable! Trying to convince the bosses to partner up with them, but might as well be talking to a wall!

Advertisement