Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

belclare sheep

• 03-10-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Well lads looking at buying few belcare sheep and one any experience with them pros and cons I'm looking at pedigree ewe lambs at the moment seen thereach mothers massive sheep so I'm tempted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Good quiet sheep. I find them good Milkers and mothers. They are prolific and produce good quality lambs. I'd say breeding pure would mean there would be good demand on your ewe lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Good quiet sheep. I find them good Milkers and mothers. They are prolific and produce good quality lambs. I'd say breeding pure would mean there would be good demand on your ewe lambs.

Took a gamble and bought 20 ewe lambs, is it the ewes or the rams that are prolific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

case5130 wrote: »
    Took a gamble and bought 20 ewe lambs, is it the ewes or the rams that are prolific

Ewes are prolific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Find it very hard to find a big belclare ewe, anyone else find that there quite small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

DJ98 wrote: »
    Find it very hard to find a big belclare ewe, anyone else find that there quite small?

Sure that’s what you want. Something that will do it’s job. A nice medium sized ewe that will rear two lambs without eating you outta house and home. Don’t understand people’s obsession with big ewes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Sure that’s what you want. Something that will do it’s job. A nice medium sized ewe that will rear two lambs without eating you outta house and home. Don’t understand people’s obsession with big ewes.

in terms of animal breeding big ewes = quick growing lambs
    about an 80% correlation

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

DJ98 wrote: »

I have some big belclare ewes. My biggest ewe was a pure Belclare, but she got weeded. I now have big Belclare cross texel ewes. But I have to agree with the other poster you don't always need big ewes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

ganmo wrote: »
    in terms of animal breeding big ewes = quick growing lambs
    about an 80% correlation

In terms of animal breeding a milky ewe no matter what breed/size=quick growing lambs. Plus the belclare will rear two lambs. These big ewes running around with one lamb are a waste of time. Her lamb is only paying for herself no margin in that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 farmerjoe50

Advertisement