Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain for shopify ecommerce store

Options
  • 04-10-2018 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have just set up an ecommerce store and went to change the domain name but its saying it doesnt support .ie domain names.
    Is there any way around this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

There is, I use shopify with a .ie but to be honest, i have very little IT knowledge and it took a lot of messing about and experimentations to get it to work smoothly, who is your domain with.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

hairyslug wrote: »
    There is, I use shopify with a .ie but to be honest, i have very little IT knowledge and it took a lot of messing about and experimentations to get it to work smoothly, who is your domain with.

I just have a myname.myshopify.com domain at the moment.

did you get it working yourself or have to get IT guy to do it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RobinPearson

Just redirect traffic to your shopify store using meta tag.

fisher8181 wrote: »
    I just have a myname.myshopify.com domain at the moment.

did you get it working yourself or have to get IT guy to do it for you?

I did it myself but I have no idea how i did it, it involved a lot of messing about and cancelling mistakes. My domain is through Blacknight and I have found their customer care and shopifys to be excellent (I have no professional connection to either) but I'm sure they would be able to guide you through it no problem. If you do go with BN, let me know and I'll see if I can get some screenshots of my settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

I think i will get blacknight as ive seen some recommendations elsewhere.

Can someone please explain to me what hosting involves.

I can buy my domain mame through blacknight for €6.99 but do i need to pay €70 odd a year for hosting?
    What does that get me?

I thought shopify provided the hosting?

• Advertisement

No, just need to pay BN for the domain and shopify will do the hosting. There are a good few YouTube videos showing how to set it up but they relate to godaddy however the terminology is similar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not familiar with the specifics of Shopify but if you have a domain and want to point it to any hosting elsewhere you need to change the A records on the domain and set them to that of the hosting. BK will be able to help you with this just find out from Shopify what you need to point to.

Advertisement