Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pipe thread type to use in harsh conditions

Options
  • 04-10-2018 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I have a project where we need to install a 4” Sch 40 pipe in a vessel with harsh chemical (caustic) conditions (inside and out). To make the pipe removable for maintenance, we need to build in a threaded connection in the 4” pipe.

There is concern about using a fine thread which may be sensitive to the conditions and become stuck and we would like to suggest a chunkier, more robust thread. Has anybody such experience or can recommend a certain thread?

A 3” NPT thread was the original suggestion from our contractor.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭T5180

Why is it essential to use a thread ? a flanged joint is far superior on diameters above 1/2" or 1".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

What sort of pressure are you looking at? I'm assuming you are looking at threaded connection because you want to avoid welding on end connections?

I agree, npt is not great in general.

Have you look at hub and clamp connection? The likes of grayloc hub (there are other manufacturer out there) may be suitable for what you need.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

T5180 wrote: »
    Why is it essential to use a thread ? a flanged joint is far superior on diameters above 1/2" or 1".

I should have mentioned, it needs to pass through a restriction, so must be flush, or as close as possible. No room for a flange.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

lau1247 wrote: »
    What sort of pressure are you looking at? I'm assuming you are looking at threaded connection because you want to avoid welding on end connections?

I agree, npt is not great in general.

Have you look at hub and clamp connection? The likes of grayloc hub (there are other manufacturer out there) may be suitable for what you need.

The issue is that it will be installed through a restriction which requires the pipe to be flush.

Advertisement