Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How find out who owns a house?

Options
  • 04-10-2018 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi folks

Background - an old single person died recently & the house is now sitting there unoccupied for the last few months. I didn’t know the person personally so therefore I don’t have any connections / contacts in their family circle.

My Ask - is there anyway to find out who now owns the house? I am interested in talking to the new owner about a possible purchase of the property but not sure how to even approach finding out who owns it.... I understand she might have left it to her estate but who do I contact ?

It’s not advertised / on the market so I was hoping to speak to the new owner(s)about a potential off market purchase if that is possible...?

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Maybe just drop in a letter outlining your interest, and address it to "property owner" or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sham09

Unfortunately the house has been vacant / empty for 6 months..... I could do it and hope a relative visits it sometime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

www.landdirect.ie

Purchase the Folio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

kceire wrote: »
    www.landdirect.ie

Purchase the Folio.

That would only tell you who is currently down as the owner though, could takes years before it's gone through probate and that information is updated no?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Urban or rural?
    Ask the local solicitors. One of them may be handling the estate and be able to pass on a message without disclosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Can you find the death notice online? It might mention the names of relatives you could approach.
    My first port of call would be the neighbours. They might know something and are more than likely interested in having the house occupied again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

kceire wrote: »
    www.landdirect.ie

Purchase the Folio.

It may not be registered at all. Many titles are not. Check RIP.ie for the death notice. It may identify relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Ask the neighbour, ask the postman.

Advertisement