Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Year Mortgage

• 04-10-2018 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Looking to get about 25k worth or renovations to the house. Currently have about 28k left on the mortgage (a little over 2 years) with another 20k credit union loan.

Do banks give out mortgages for 5 years for this purpose?

The paying back will not be a problem. I just want to go with the cheapest possible option.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,784 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think they do to be honest.

Thats more 'personal loan' territory.

Think about it, why would they give you a 5 year loan at 4.0% (approx mortgage rate) when they could sell you a personal loan at 8%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ask them for a top up and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You should get a top up over a term of 5 years from your existing lender once you qualify on income and affordability and basically meet their criteria. If they have a minimum loan then you might consider adding in the CU Loan.
    mrsoft wrote: »
    Looking to get about 25k worth or renovations to the house. Currently have about 28k left on the mortgage (a little over 2 years) with another 20k credit union loan.

Do banks give out mortgages for 5 years for this purpose?

The paying back will not be a problem. I just want to go with the cheapest possible option.

Advertisement