Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

S2 is already confirmed, so it might be an ongoing thing for a number of series.

BTW, we're on 1 hour into a 4 hour story. Might be an idea to give it a bit of time?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jesus, 8 episode and we're already a quarter through? Yeah this is going to need to seriously shift gears if it's going to come across as anything other than an expensive web-series.

Honestly, if people are staring at Mando's tea leaves, trying to divine some higher or more complicated purpose, it sounds to me like they also share frustration at the show's vaporous form & are trying to insert meaning where none exists.

I tend to agree. I think I'm enjoying it more than you but it doesn't warrant all this discussion. It's pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Tony EH wrote: »
    BTW, we're on 1 hour into a 4 hour story. Might be an idea to give it a bit of time?

My issue is with the length of time that you are expected to wait between episodes which have a short and inconsistent running time. I would much rather four 1 hour episodes weekly that to have 8 episodes cut up to make a four-hour story over the course of 8 weeks.
    it doesn't warrant all this discussion. It's pretty straight forward.

Im enjoying it too but for me, this is akin to the likes of a youtube series in regards to role out. Considering the brand's name and the major money sunk into it, directors and hype surrounding it. Im just a bit perplexed. Im more concerned about that than the content of the show, that's how straight cut it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    S2 is already confirmed, so it might be an ongoing thing for a number of series.

In fairness, I've given caution to my comments, that of course you can't judge too much on the back of 2 episodes; but still, that second episode was pure narrative wheel-spinning, taking 30 minutes to impart one piece of knowledge that the audience would likely already suspect (that the baby was Force sensitive). The Jawa stuff was utterly immaterial IMO.

I'm mostly surprised how little there is to this story so far. It's an incredibly spartan plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have enjoyed the 2 so far, but they look like a series of set pieces/standalone episodes, rather than something part of a bigger plan.

But it might kick off soon!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

In fairness, I've given caution to my comments, that of course you can't judge too much on the back of 2 episodes; but still, that second episode was pure narrative wheel-spinning, taking 30 minutes to impart one piece of knowledge that the audience would likely already suspect (that the baby was Force sensitive). The Jawa stuff was utterly immaterial IMO.

I'm mostly surprised how little there is to this story so far. It's an incredibly spartan plot.

I can see that but you yourself I think hit the target when it came to what’s going on in the story. We find out some nefarious characters want the asset and we don’t know why. Second episode we find out why. The could potentially want to weaponise it. That’s simple enough to keep the younger audiences onboard and accessible for them (and naturally invested in the adorable little fella) and sets it up for the next 6 to get to work.

Ps-they’re pumping tons of tie ins in that resistance series into all three new films. Even the main ship is in that huge shot of the rebel fleet. Haven’t watched that series so o don’t know details but there’s loads going on related to TLJ and TROS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My issue is with the length of time that you are expected to wait between episodes which have a short and inconsistent running time. I would much rather four 1 hour episodes weekly that to have 8 episodes cut up to make a four-hour story over the course of 8 weeks.

I think everyone would rather it was an hour show.

I think the story has progressed fine myself and we're only just at the beginning of it. Why the rush?

I think the second episode did well enough establishing that the Mandalorian is not some sort of superhero and he can get his arse kicked. Plus he's now indebted to his bounty, which will make thing more complicated in future episodes, I'm sure. More than enough progression for 30 minutes of screen time.

To be honest, I am more engrossed in the Mandalorian's story than I am with the sequel story, which really is as empty as a used bean can, over a far lengthier time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Enjoying it so far for what it is: a spaghetti western set in space, a bastard off-spring of an unholy union between Firefly and Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement

So many brilliant memes have come from it :) but overall everyone seems to love the show cos of the little critter. Nice to see some peace at last. It won’t last with the film coming but ah well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll say one thing; I feel sorry for anyone trying to stay unblemished and unspoilt, waiting for March and watching this legitimately. Baby Yoda is everywhere, outlets brazenly publishing material about it. Not exactly a spoiler anymore.

It’s bizarre isn’t it? Guess they know it’s getting pirated to all hell but see all the news and viral of it all as free promo. Maybe.

Early reports out and Apparently tomorrow’s episode is going to blow us away and it’s directed by the lady doing the entire Kenobi series, Deborah Chow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It’s bizarre isn’t it? Guess they know it’s getting pirated to all hell but see all the news and viral of it all as free promo. Maybe.

Well what do Disney expect...They really should have held off and released it to Europe & States in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Early reports out and Apparently tomorrow’s episode is going to blow us away and it’s directed by the lady doing the entire Kenobi series, Deborah Chow.

I read early preview of the 2nd episode, and was told it was going to blow me away. It didn't.

I suppose what blows one person away isn't going to be the same for millions of viewers.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I read early preview of the 2nd episode, and was told it was going to blow me away. It didn't.

I suppose what blows one person away isn't going to be the same for millions of viewers.

I imagine it was the first time we see the force in the 2nd episode...I have been a little underwhelmed so far, but i hope that they are building it up slowly...

Mileage may very. There was tons of mind blowing stuff in the first two depending on your investment. Mando culture fans got huge mystifying treats. We got a baby yoda and loads of questions.
    We also got Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET and the a team/mcgyver nods all in one episode.
    I’m a child of that time so they were all huge treats for me. And did blow my mind I guess.

When you have two massive Star Wars man babies and the woman who produced Raiders this will happen I guess.

Who knew Star Wars fans' minds were so easily blown! :P ;) Let's just see what comes, and not try to preemptively predict the levels of gasping we might do in front of the telly. I know I've wagged fingers about it before, but hyperbole is a rot IMO :)

I await episode in a state of perfect whelm, neither under nor over!

Who knew Star Wars fans' minds were so easily blown! :P ;) Let's just see what comes, and not try to preemptively predict the levels of gasping we might do in front of the telly. I know I've wagged fingers about it before, but hyperbole is a rot IMO :)

I await episode in a state of perfect whelm, neither under nor over!

There’s a word I never want to know or understand

What is a whelm:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure the definition but generally when I hear it mentioned these days, I tend to remember Young Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Baby Yoda The Child merch ready to hit the shelfs next week ahead of Black Friday and Christmas shopping.

Disney sure know how to make money.

Definitely selling the Aww shucks he's cute in episode 3.

Loved the security/mercenaries in the episode its the kind of work you would expect them to do after the Empire fell.

Fired first.

Don't fcuk with the Mandalorian's.

Good episode moves the story along.

Loved the security/mercenaries in the episode its the kind of work you would expect them to do after the Empire fell.

Fired first.

Episode 2*.... You had me searching for the new episode

Episode 2*.... You had me searching for the new episode

No episode 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Latest wrestling of AEW Dynamite had a wee reference. "You're cuter than baby Yoda"
    They will need to name it or is species soon before it sticks. Though I just see now it's officially called The Child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Episode 3 is out there, most likely in the usual places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Fired first.

I'm not so sure their mercs. That many Stormtroopers along with the head guy wearing an Imperial symbol, leaves me thinking it's the Imperial Remnant up to something.

As for episode 3, top notch stuff and so much wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,762 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Am I allowed to ask where are you guys watching this from,
    If not I apologise for the question ?

• Advertisement

Am I allowed to ask where are you guys watching this from,
    If not I apologise for the question ?

Pm sent

Advertisement