Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Good bit of that on twitter. They’re usually bogey accounts looking to stir sh!t. This episode and the next one both directed by women and the two main female leads come in next week. Yet our little feminazi claims to be a Star was fan and doesn’t know this? No. Just wants to bitch. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,638 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Right I'm out and unfollowing the thread that now future episodes are being spoiled.

Right I'm out and unfollowing the thread that now future episodes are being spoiled.

It’s in the trailer. And the cast list. Hardly a spoiler just a speculation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regret even posting that. So tired of gender and race being shoe horned into every discussion.

Yeah, why share that; Twitter is a dumping ground for intellectual detritus of humanity at best. Even progressive blogs I'd read haven't brought this up as a negative or clickbait. This is precisely why I don't have a Twitter account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

It’s in the trailer. And the cast list. Hardly a spoiler just a speculation

Lots of people don't watch trailers for the reason they give spoilers away.You are enthusiastic about the show which is great but spoiling it unintentionally I would hope taking about future episodes without using spoiler tags.

• Advertisement

Well I’m gonna spell his name wrong but Gian Carlos Esposito is
    playing an imperial called Moff Gideon
    he’s mentioned in the thread loads it’s hardly a spoiler. We know who he’s playing. Probably the character most here are excited for? So we can’t speculate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

GSPfan wrote: »
    Stop moaning ffs.

:)

Shades of Iron Man 3 I thought.

I got The rocketeer vibes from it. That scene was the height of tackiness. Then we saw the child going for the ball on the shtick shift. The aul emotions were being attacked again after the scene where mando handed the little lad over. fup sake

Regret even posting that. So tired of gender and race being shoe horned into every discussion.

"Writer. Editor. Feminist. Ain't no room on board for the insincere." They are unemployed and currently looking for work. There is a recurring theme of outrage from individuals like this on Twitter. Its seems to be full of feminist writers, editors and journalists ......wonder why. Twitter is an echo chamber for people with low IQ .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

"Writer. Editor. Feminist. Ain't no room on board for the insincere." They are unemployed and currently looking for work. There is a recurring theme of outrage from individuals like this on Twitter. Its seems to be full of feminist writers, editors and journalists ......wonder why. Twitter is an echo chamber for people with low IQ .

speaking of which, their chief grifter chipped in but got mightily ratioed :D , hopefully hollywood wakes up and realises that these people arent customers

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1197388822910132224

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Am I extremely tired or is there not a single female speaking character in the first episode of #Mandelorian?? I've gotta have missed something right???

Yes Anita. You did. She appears fucking 20 minutes in.

So tired of these arseholes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm going to partial mod this, and ask that we move on from finding Twitter accounts to boo and hiss at. We know there are ideological puritans out there, they don't need to be pasted in here for some 2 minute hates. Some of us avoid Twitter for that reason

Let's stick to what's in and around the show, not what isn't? Pretty please? :D

Spoiler this even though it’s a deep cut but possible.

Ahsoka fought at the siege of mandalore.

We see mando having flashbacks
    Could be to that battle?
    Could he have seen her or met her? Who took out that battle droid when he was put in the bunker?

I’d say ahsoka is gonna show up

Take baby yoda and we’re gonna get further stories within that. Bearing in mind we’re seeing the siege of mandalore in clone wars season 7 in February. Easy tie in to show her save our young mando and possibly taking baby yoda at some stage? Ahsoka is Filonis Star creation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

amazing how he only gets shot on the shoulder'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

safetyboy wrote: »
    amazing how he only gets shot on the shoulder'

As the saying goes.. Yeah No

495972.jpg

Maybe you mean.. "amazing how he doesn't get shot dead and the show ends"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Mando's grammar seems OK.

If the baby keeps hanging out with him, it probably won't develop the elocution problems that plagued the other green lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I have watched the first three episodes and I have to say, my mind is firmly stable with no imminent desire to blow up. In fact, there has been nothing 'mindblowing' at all, even 'noteworthy' - bar the visuals - is somewhat hyperbolic.

For me, watching this show is an exercise in 'Spot the references!'.

Remember Jawas? Here are some!
    Remember Stormtroopers? Here are some!
    Remember the funny aliens you saw in the background in the films? Here are some!
    Remember the quirky droids you saw in the films? Here are some!
    Remember that great scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indy is almost driven into a wall while holding on to the side of a tank? That was great, wasn't it? Here's another scene the very same, but in Star Wars!
    Remember Yoda? Wasn't he great? Here's a baby Yoda!
    Remember Boba Fett? Here's loads of similar Boba Fett's - maybe the actual Boba Fett is still alive? Aren't we great at teasing?
    Remember important lines like 'You're my only hope.' Here it is again, but from a different character!
    Remember the funny security bot in Return of the Jedi? They are a really popular model and we have it in this show too!
    Remember that funny rat character next to Jabba in Return of the Jedi? He was really annoying, wasn't he? Here he is on a spit while his friend watches him burn!

I do appreciate the production values; the sets look good, they have a grimy, post-war, post-Empire feel, and the world feels dirty, lawless, and a little lost - as you would imagine places would be after a sudden shift in the order of things. But, there's very little substance here - the length of the episodes isn't helping either. It really does feel like the writers are struggling to build something and are trying to stretch it out as much as possible. To use a line from a great film, it feels like 'butter stretched across too much bread'. When I think of the scene of Mando putting his ship back together, it was almost a two minute montage in a 30 minute episode. Really? If you are restricted to 30 minute episodes, you should be putting actual substance in there. Likewise with the plentiful scenes of Mando walking here, there, and everywhere. Lots of walking shots eating up precious minutes where dialogue and story could be explored further.

It's like Disney are terrified, absolutely terrified. I suppose they have a reason to be, this show is costing them a fortune. There's very little ambition here beyond how the show looks - which, I concur, is impressive, but apart from a baby Yoda, do we have any emotional connection for a character, for all intents and purposes, who is a bit like a robot? In fact, IG-88 was pretty interesting, a shame they got rid of him.

A recent interview with Kathleen Kennedy exemplifies my point on substance perfectly.
    Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.

The need to retain a connection with the familiar (for financial reasons, i.e. nostalgia) is crippling the creative possibilities for the franchise. Almost everything Disney has done with Star Wars can be described as 'safe', 'following a contemporary trope', or 'harken back to the originals'.

The third episode featured a formulaic check-box routine as well.
    Let's show all of Mando's weapons in a 5 minute segment, even though it makes no sense. He begins by blowing open a wall (not very subtle), he then shoots two Troopers dead (very loud), but the third who follows in after is silently dispatched - why not shoot him too (oh wait, he shot him after he was knocked out anyway!). Now being subtle again, lets dispatch the fourth by pulling him into knife range with one of Mando's tools. Let's use a flamethrower even though the blaster is in hand, let's use that new silent dart weapon system, the shock effect of the rifle, the rifle's main weapon that turns enemies into dust, and then finally, remind the viewers that Boba Fett had a jet pack and Mando should get one too.
    . Talk about blowing your load in 5 minutes...

Given the fact that this show links with the new trilogy, it's only a matter of time before we see a young girl called Rey running around and Mando meets her or sees her. Or we see Chewie in a bar that Mando is visiting, or the Falcon docked somewhere, etc.

I will continue to watch in the hope something will actually happen to keep me intrigued or actually interested in seeing how this plays out, but for now, I can't help but play the 'Spot the references!' game instead of being engrossed by great acting or story-telling.

My version of lord of the rings about how this is crap cos I said so

But I’ll keep watching

Gas.

My version of lord of the rings about how this is crap cos I said so

But I’ll keep watching

Gas.

Impossible to debate fanaticism without a modicum of objectivity, nor the ability to respect opinion other than your own. Welcome to the great divide of modern viewpoints where the bridge has been well and truly burned and all that remains are the echoes of those condemning the other side for starting the fire.

I gave my opinion on what I have seen so far. I don't believe it to be unfair as I have provided evidence to back up my argument. I am sorry it challenges your love for this piece of entertainment and it hurts your feelings to the point that you must make a terse vacuous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd be annoyed if they made a star wars tv series without Jawas,stormtroopers,droids,funny aliens and loads of references to the films

Falthyron wrote: »
    Impossible to debate fanaticism without a modicum of objectivity, nor the ability to respect opinion other than your own. Welcome to the great divide of modern viewpoints where the bridge has been well and truly burned and all that remains are the echoes of those condemning the other side for starting the fire.

I gave my opinion on what I have seen so far. I don't believe it to be unfair as I have provided evidence to back up my argument. I am sorry it challenges your love for this piece of entertainment and it hurts your feelings to the point that you must make a terse vacuous comment.

Not at all. I just don’t write entire rambling tomes about things that don’t interest me

It would be arrogant to assume anyone cared to read it.

Run time on your post was longer than the entire series to date.

• Advertisement

Not at all. I just don’t write entire rambling tomes about things that don’t interest me

I'm very interested in Star Wars. I love Star Wars. In fact, I would say that I have a very high expectation of all things Star Wars because I hold it to a very high standard (which I feel it deserves), and although my thoughts on it might appear harsh it is because I know there is so much more on offer other than what we have received thus far.

Your replies aren't doing you any favours. Glib comments about why I would dare critique a 'mindblowing' show instead of actually engaging in a healthy debate about specific points I have raised just makes you look very immature, foolish, and ruled by your emotions - you remind me of a former Boards user here, David74 (I think). Don't mind me though, you should continue to absorb everything Disney's Star Wars offers you without question - don't let my comments affect your enjoyment of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I’d say ahsoka is gonna show up

Rebels
    I'd be very, very surprised. But then, it seemed too good to be true that she was going to turn up in Rebels, despite being the rumoured identity of Fulcrum, and they also kept that under wraps right up until it aired. So who knows. I don't think this show should have Jedi in it in the main story, but some flashbacks of Ahsoka would make me make silly cooing noises at the TV.
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd be annoyed if they made a star wars tv series without Jawas,stormtroopers,droids,funny aliens and loads of references to the films

To a large extent, jawas and such are just part of making it a coherent universe.

There was a role that needed filling and Jawas fitted the bill.

Callbacks and the like are only an issue, IMO, if there's no substance to the story and callbacks are all there is, and that is clearly not the case here.

If anything, the needless diversions in some of the recent films were more annoying to me. Like Jakku - another boring desert planet, which is functionally identical to Tatooine, but they had to give it a different name.

Fandom isn't binary. It's not love or death. You can love a franchise but be frustrated by its adaptations. And the ability to put thoughts to words is not a pox, nor would I mock or insult it. Play nice with others.

The Mandorlian is fine. It's entertainment, but that some don't get the same gasping ecstacy from it is nothing but opinion. It hasn't asked that of us IMO and all are welcome here to express that. Or indeed those that have found it awesome, in the literal sense. more power to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I can't really come up with anything lacking in the show.

It's pretty much everything I wanted from this sort of expanded universe, non-Jedi-centric Star Wars.

That said, I don't think there's much substance to it yet. Some TV leaves a mark, but this is just entertaining so far. And that's fine. And also, it has several more episodes to establish itself as something more substantial - I quite like the titular character, but we also haven't seen his face yet, and he is somewhat limited in how he can emote, so it could well be that the show is building to something around who he is and why his story is worth telling, beyond the 'splosions and cute babies.

Gbear wrote: »
    I can't really come up with anything lacking in the show.

It's pretty much everything I wanted from this sort of expanded universe, non-Jedi-centric Star Wars.

That said, I don't think there's much substance to it yet. Some TV leaves a mark, but this is just entertaining so far. And that's fine. And also, it has several more episodes to establish itself as something more substantial - I quite like the titular character, but we also haven't seen his face yet, and he is somewhat limited in how he can emote, so it could well be that the show is building to something around who he is and why his story is worth telling, beyond the 'splosions and cute babies.

Get ready. Not you you heathen :)

il_794xN.1656708767_5rx7.jpg

If people havent seen any of the westerns this is heavily based on also if you have time I'd recommend you check them out. Once upon a time in the west, A fistful of dollars, HIgh planes drifter etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Got absolutely zero interest in Star Wars (despite liking sci-fi a lot) but started watching this after seeing all the Baby Yoda coverage because it is the cutest fúcking thing I've seen. Loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wombatman wrote: »
    Mando's grammar seems OK.

If the baby keeps hanging out with him, it probably won't develop the elocution problems that plagued the other green lad.

Wait till we hear his first words though:D

b0RHbyQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Dude, this isn't your personal Airbnb account..
    You don't have to reply to everyone..

Isn't there a star wars nerd fest you can just explode on?

David 75?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have watched the first three episodes and I have to say, my mind is firmly stable with no imminent desire to blow up. In fact, there has been nothing 'mindblowing' at all, even 'noteworthy' - bar the visuals - is somewhat hyperbolic.

For me, watching this show is an exercise in 'Spot the references!'.

Remember Jawas? Here are some!
    Remember Stormtroopers? Here are some!
    Remember the funny aliens you saw in the background in the films? Here are some!
    Remember the quirky droids you saw in the films? Here are some!
    Remember that great scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indy is almost driven into a wall while holding on to the side of a tank? That was great, wasn't it? Here's another scene the very same, but in Star Wars!
    Remember Yoda? Wasn't he great? Here's a baby Yoda!
    Remember Boba Fett? Here's loads of similar Boba Fett's - maybe the actual Boba Fett is still alive? Aren't we great at teasing?
    Remember important lines like 'You're my only hope.' Here it is again, but from a different character!
    Remember the funny security bot in Return of the Jedi? They are a really popular model and we have it in this show too!
    Remember that funny rat character next to Jabba in Return of the Jedi? He was really annoying, wasn't he? Here he is on a spit while his friend watches him burn!

Star Wars stuff in a Star Wars show. How crazy is that! Absolutely awful. :D

Seriously though, I can understand the point of view, but don't accept it. While there has been numerous fan service moments in 'The Mandalorian', they have worked well, as opposed to the same efforts made in the sequel trilogy, where they just come off as lazy. It makes sense to have OT designed objects in this series because it's set a few years after 'Return of the Jedi'. It's part of that era, so why the hell wouldn't there be these things knocking around and I'm sure we'll be seeing far more OT equipment in the near future.

I agree that the "minds blown" is a bit silly. But it certainly has been a very enjoyable and coherent story up to this point, which is a lot more than can be said for Disney's other efforts, bar 'Rogue One'. That's for sure. It's been a perfectly fine and serviceable TV show so far, but my mind is very much intact.
    A recent interview with Kathleen Kennedy exemplifies my point on substance perfectly.
    Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.

Kennedy is talking absolute bollocks here. There have been literally millions of words written as "source material" for Star Wars. There's reams and reams of text just on lore alone. Plus thousands of comics and a ton of novels. There's source at an absolutely tiresome level. To go through it all would exhaust even the most valiant researcher.

Now, I am in no way saying that all or even any of it is good (I have never delved into much of it myself) and I'm sure a lot of it is absolute shite. But the same goes for 90% of Marvel superhero stories too and that's worked as "source" for the MCU.

In any case, Disney could simply have taken the best elements of the Thrawn trilogy and made a much better set of sequel movies right there. So her excuses are completely empty.

Kennedy's pre-emptive damage control statements just show that she hasn't a clue how to even begin to approach this thing. She never has, and such demonstrably false utterances like "there was no source material" displays that clearly.

She needs to be moved on or out. Her management of Star Wars, as a whole, has been a disaster.

Advertisement