Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Venom wrote: »
    And that's fcuked up and shouldn't happen but it's nothing to do with 99.9% of the Star Wars fan base.

The thing is, the kind of people who tell you to grow up won't be able to comprehend this fact. As you can see in their responses above, they conflate between a person who criticizes women's role's in SW specifically written to pander to current political and social issues in the form of atrocious writing and dismantling the saga, to that of a person who hates women. The abuse that Keli Marie Tran got was disgusting. It was from the undesirable dregs online who are nothing more scum. Any rational adult would know that abusing her was not right. Be mad. But mad the producers and the franchise etc but never the actor. That's just childish and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't think there actually is a tie in. I don't think they are suddenly turn to the camera, have The Mandalorian give a two thumbs up and say: "Hey kids, it's the guy from TV"....

Don't worry, I know you are not saying that :) No, I don't think there will be a tie-in but it just gives off that vibe. Again, having said that, I am enjoying it.

But, as others have said, I kind of wish they would move away from everything we have seen before: Jawas, Gronk droid, greedo's species etc. It makes it seem very small to me. I mean thousands of planets and species and you see the same ones the whole time. Makes it look like, despite the supposed hugeness of the Empire, everything happened on about 3 rural backwater planets where everyone knows eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Jyns immediate 180 from being an unwilling captive of the rebellion to giving a rousing speech to get them involved is quite something. But I do love that film. And agree Rey is far more interesting

It's amazing that film turned out as well as it did after all the reshoots. The characters may not be great but I do like that they're all fairly withdrawn and pissed off. Contrast that with the characters in the new trilogy who are all very loud and annoying. Also Felicity Jones is a much better actor than Daisy Ridley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The thing is, the kind of people who tell you to grow up won't be able to comprehend this fact. As you can see in their responses above, they conflate between a person who criticizes women's role's in SW specifically written to pander to current political and social issues in the form of atrocious writing and dismantling the saga, to that of a person who hates women. The abuse that Keli Marie Tran got was disgusting. It was from the undesirable dregs online who are nothing more scum. Any rational adult would know that abusing her was not right. Be mad. But mad the producers and the franchise etc but never the actor. That's just childish and wrong.

Agree with you to a point. I can’t stand tokenism. Say they put a gay character in SW (or anything) just to tick a box would be awful. If it doesn’t have a role or place that adds to the story? Pointless.
    But to rail against some imagined agenda is wrong too. It’s an entire galaxy. There can’t just be straight white males representing the humans and no women or people of ethnic origin, When you’ve millions of species of aliens and different droids on the same screen in the same film.

It would be bizarre if it was just that. The OT got a lot of flack at the time for exactly that. Only black guy was the bad guy. And so they got an actual black guy, and he rips our heroes off and betrays them. Wasn’t a good look.
    Inclusion/representation isn’t an agenda. It’s just inclusion. No need to be threatened or outraged by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think talking negatively about representation in a show where about 7 people have had speaking parts more than dying sounds when being shot and they are 1 woman , 1 latino , 1 black guy and 2 white guys (one as a CGI alien) 1 arab and 1 maori.

Show is 3 episodes in of which most has been in a criminal setting and its already looking pretty diverse. We know that some of the most important upcoming characters are female.

Too much outrage culture here , looking for something to complain about and talking about what they do not see instead of what they do see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Acosta wrote: »
    It's amazing that film turned out as well as it did after all the reshoots. The characters may not be great but I do like that they're all fairly withdrawn and pissed off. Contrast that with the characters in the new trilogy who are all very loud and annoying. Also Felicity Jones is a much better actor than Daisy Ridley.

The only major thing that was reshot was the ending really. So instead of everyone dying on a beach Private Ryan style, they got killed elsewhere. 90% of the film remained the same.

As far as the characters are concerned, they made for more realistic and compelling people than anyone in the sequel movies. They are not greeted with the same enthusiasm by some, because what passes for "character" these days are loudmouths, who have all the quips they need in their arsenal and who retain their ability to shoot off one liners under the most stressful of circumstances.

I'll take the characters in 'Rogue One' every day of the week over the modern blockbuster franchise "character".

According to tony gilroy who was brought in to save it, they reshot 80% of it. Not 40. And he had a horrible time and hated it and said he’d never do Star Wars again. (And yet he’s coming back for Cassian. Go figure)

^
    That's nonsense.

If that was the case, Gareth Edwards name would have been taken off the movie.

What you're thinking of here is 'Solo', in which practically the entire film was reshot, resulting in Lord and Miller's credit being removed and Ron Howard's name being instated instead.

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^
    That's nonsense.

If that was the case, Gareth Edwards name would have been taken off the movie.

What you're thinking of here is 'Solo', in which practically the entire film was reshot, resulting in Lord and Miller's credit being removed and Ron Howard's name being instated instead.

Im really not. He talked about it on the empire film podcast way back. And other interviews. He was pretty cranky sounding tbh. And the film was taken off Gareth Edwards. He still got credited cos it was his story and he worked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The biggest problem I had with Rogue One was how humourless it was. Everyone was so bleak and noble.

I mean I really enjoyed Rogue One. And I did enjoy the change in tone in general but they could have lightened up juuuuuuust a wee bit.

I did not like Solo. I was just so bored during it. I did enjoy Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Thought they were great but the rest? Yawn.

But yeah, back to The Mandalorian...... Oh for them to remove his helmet at the end and find out it's a woman. Hahahaha. Go on, Favrau. Just for the laugh. Just to watch these toxic fans explode in the bedrooms of their parent's houses

• Advertisement

Im really not. He talked about it on the empire film podcast way back. And other interviews. He was pretty cranky sounding tbh. And the film was taken off Gareth Edwards. He still got credited cos it was his story and he worked on it.

He absolutely did not reshoot 80% of the film. That's ridiculous.

If that was the case, he'd have been given the director credit and not a writer credit. There are strict rules about such things.

I've heard the interview in question where he stated that the film was "in a mess", but he's terribly vague about what he was supposed to have reshot and what exactly this "mess" was. But, I've also heard mutterings about the ending being too warlike for Kennedy and that there was a lot of handheld footage that didn't go across too well with Disney bosses.

Gilroy tweaked the movie to please Disney better, but it's still Gareth Edward's film in the main.

Too much outrage culture here , looking for something to complain about and talking about what they do not see instead of what they do see.

I want to clarify. I wasn't talking about the mandalorian. I was talking about Kathleens derailment of the sequels.

He absolutely did not reshoot 80% of the film. That's ridiculous.

If that was the case, he'd have been given the director credit and not a writer credit. There are strict rules about such things.

I've heard the interview in question where he stated that the film was "in a mess", but he's terribly vague about what he was supposed to have reshot and what exactly this "mess" was. But, I've also heard mutterings about the ending being too warlike for Kennedy and that there was a lot of handheld footage that didn't go across too well with Disney bosses.

Gilroy tweaked the movie to please Disney better, but it's still Gareth Edward's film in the main.

Not what I heard but it’s of no matter. Film has no right being as good as it is do the disaster it was when he came in. Think we all agree on that.

The biggest problem I had with Rogue One was how humourless it was. Everyone was so bleak and noble.

I mean I really enjoyed Rogue One. And I did enjoy the change in tone in general but they could have lightened up juuuuuuust a wee bit.

I did not like Solo. I was just so bored during it. I did enjoy Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Thought they were great but the rest? Yawn.

But yeah, back to The Mandalorian...... Oh for them to remove his helmet at the end and find out it's a woman. Hahahaha. Go on, Favrau. Just for the laugh. Just to watch these toxic fans explode in the bedrooms of their parent's houses

To be fair tho, it was a battle to capture plans from the resistance and two of the main characters die at the end. Imo humour would have cheapened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I was also of the understanding that a lot more than the ending was changed. Look at the first trailer.

It's still the best of the rest after the original trilogy and also the best looking Star Wars movie of them all.

I want to clarify. I wasn't talking about the mandalorian. I was talking about Kathleens derailment of the sequels.

Cos you don’t like de wimmin or de efnicks in it.

Nobody was noble. They were all a bit dodgy really. Erso ran with terrorists, Cassian was Rebel hit man. Another guy was an Imperial defector.

I wouldn't consider any of them to be in the goody-two-shoes mould that usual Star Wars protagonists are.

Also, it's serious tone is one of its benefits. Useless, unfunny, humour is a plague in modern film and it's almost never required.

Not what I heard but it’s of no matter. Film has no right being as good as it is do the disaster it was when he came in. Think we all agree on that.

We don't know if it was a disaster. We have never seen Edward's final version.

Yis are mad. K2 is hilarious in rogue one. And personally his death touched me far more than any of the actors if I’m honest

Acosta wrote: »
    I was also of the understanding that a lot more than the ending was changed. Look at the first trailer.

There's a lot of footage in the trailer that didn't make it into either cut.

• Advertisement

Yis are mad. K2 is hilarious in rogue one. And personally his death touched me far more than any of the actors if I’m honest

This was also one of the things Gilroy was brought on board to do. He gave K2SO more funny lines than was in there originally.

But, his humour isn't slapstick or loudmouth gibberish. He's a fish out of water, and that can be funny in most circumstances. It felt natural and not committee mandated like most attempts at comedy in Hollywood movies.

This was also one of the things Gilroy was brought on board to do. He gave K2SO more funny lines than was in there originally.

But, his humour isn't slapstick or loudmouth gibberish. He's a fish out of water, and that can be funny in most circumstances.

Yeah. Fair play to the actor too. He bring him to life in a cool way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

To be fair tho, it was a battle to capture plans from the resistance and two of the main characters die at the end. Imo humour would have cheapened it.

The droid along with the blind monk and his buddy, were more than enough humour considering the much darker tone and setting of the movie. Jyn saw her family destroyed right in front of her by the Empire and was then raised by an extremist who felt nothing was off the table in the fight against the Empire and the Rebel dude was ok killing randoms to get the info he needed. Hell, the Rebels in general were running assassination missions, so having the main characters suddenly start dropping jokes would have felt really messed up which is something the MCU movies suffer from badly.

Cos you don’t like de wimmin or de efnicks in it.

Since you went there lol I see that your juvenile ways of posting remain consistent throughout the forum. There is no need for you to be so insolent and drag the tone of the thread down with such petulant behavior. Your post is that of an uneducated simpleton. You base your assumptions off of conjecture. Your emotions misguide emotions. Im still waiting for your response to my post in which dodged but then continued to indirectly with your fragile and woke recycled talking points.

Lots of love
    Mams white Irish, Dads black Dutch of south African origin .
    1800_ladladlad = mixed raced Irish born efnick

Venom wrote: »
    The droid along with the blind monk and his buddy, were more than enough humour considering the much darker tone and setting of the movie. Jyn saw her family destroyed right in front of her by the Empire and was then raised by an extremist who felt nothing was off the table in the fight against the Empire and the Rebel dude was ok killing randoms to get the info he needed. Hell, the Rebels in general were running assassination missions, so having the main characters suddenly start dropping jokes would have felt really messed up which is something the MCU movies suffer from badly.

100% that's what made it so good. It reminded me of saving private Ryan in parts which I think that's what they were going for in places

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: ok, cut it out. Consider this warning aimed at those bickering. Move the conversation on or cards will start coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Yes agree fully. I think this is all leading into a tie in to the upcoming movie. Hopefully in future they do a series that has a great star wars universe story in it's own right and not just some tie in to a movie.

I don't think this will tie in with the IX now because of the timeline of the episodes dropping. The season won't be complete when IX is out. Also, when they factor other territories not having Disney + for a good few months after, they'd be further shooting themselves in the foot. I had thought that baby yoda having natural force talent would tie in to Rey being natural force user, but that may be as far as it would link them.
    The only major thing that was reshot was the ending really. So instead of everyone dying on a beach Private Ryan style, they got killed elsewhere. 90% of the film remained the same.

It wasn't just the ending that was re-shot. There were a number of scenes scattered through the movie that came from the re-shoots. I believe when the pilot is being led to Saw Gerrera's hideout, and the scene where Casian shoots the rebel spy who gives him info were re-shoots. Funnily enough I remember watching for the first time and thinking they stood out & a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone seen the Mandolarian discussion thread around here?

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Anyone seen the Mandolarian discussion thread around here?

Derailed by Disney shills for copyright reasons :)

• Advertisement

It wasn't just the ending that was re-shot. There were a number of scenes scattered through the movie that came from the re-shoots. I believe when the pilot is being led to Saw Gerrera's hideout, and the scene where Casian shoots the rebel spy who gives him info were re-shoots. Funnily enough I remember watching for the first time and thinking they stood out & a bit off.

The only major thing that was reshot...

Advertisement