Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I'm guessing the words "baby Yoda" really tilt some people.

Wombatman wrote: »
    I'm guessing the words "baby Yoda" really tilt some people.

If baby yodas first word isn’t ‘seagulls!’ What was even the point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Baby yoda : tHey fLy nOW!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Baby yoda : tHey fLy nOW!

Fly now, they do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and the most enjoyable so far, insofar as it felt the most substantive and less dithering than the prior episodes. The absence of any face meant the eventual moment Mando regretted his action meant nothing. Holding the camera on an upturned bucket is less emotionally impactful than the makers might like, but I guess this is just how things are to be with this show (obvious questions including how do these folks eat?). I can connected to BabaYoda, but then obviously. I've been more intrigued by Herzog's character than the titular one TBH.

This still feels like a piecemeal movie rather than TV show, and I'd be dead curious if canny editors could get this down to a 2 hour cut without losing anything. I daresay you could, going by the evidence so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd be dead curious if canny editors could get this down to a 2 hour cut without losing anything. I daresay you could, going by the evidence so far.

Well, there's a ten minute "learn to ride blurg" sequence in the first episode than can hit the floor quite easily. A few trims on the Mando's expert shooting wouldn't go amiss and Rocketman at the end of Ep.3 can go as well.

When this show is over, it'll roughly be a 4 hour movie as it stands. So, I'd say that sticking it through premier and doing a few judicious cuts here and there could turn out a proper feature length result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

pixelburp wrote: »
    This still feels like a piecemeal movie rather than TV show, and I'd be dead curious if canny editors could get this down to a 2 hour cut without losing anything. I daresay you could, going by the evidence so far.

What are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If the Clone Wars strength is in it's storytelling does anyone know if there's a decent "novelisation" of them in the correct order on-line?

Sleepy wrote: »
    If the Clone Wars strength is in it's storytelling does anyone know if there's a decent "novelisation" of them in the correct order on-line?

Threes aren’t no. You could go to wookieepdia and read synopses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I could see how you could cut this down to a 2hr movie most likely when it's all wrapped up, but it's lean enough as it is really - compared to, say, Ep1-3, I don't think there's any real argument that stuff should be cut out, as opposed to simply can be cut out.

My only question after Ep3 is that, what's the whole schtick with the Empire at this point? I know it's referenced as being 'gone', but like, how is this little outpost surviving in the midst of an urban settlement? Where do supplies, food, etc come from? Why is it tolerated or allowed to exist amongst a major urban settlement? I don't mind the whole "who's making the orders from the top" mystery aspect as it's more open-ended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What are you thinking?

Honestly, I think you could cut chunks of the first 2 episodes alone; in small ways (the slow pans as Mando fired up each engine), or just trimming the detour that led to BabaYoda; as already said, the Blurg training was completely pointless filler, if not that entire "I have spoken" character. Arguably so was the Egg Hunt, though obviously it culminated in the realisation about BY's powers so served some narrative purpose. That could have been done without requiring busywork, but obviously we can't reshoot the show in this hypothetical scenario!

Episode 3 was the first time everything felt efficient and fat-free, so I wouldn't make any major removals, just little moments like the Rocketeer moment at the end. Perhaps shorten the attack, as we didn't need to see each room being cleared out, one by one.

Maybe now the plot has properly taken off, there'll be less need to pad out the running time; from the cliffhanger in Episode 1 we all knew he'd leave the child back, have a change of heart, then rescue it from captivity. The die is now cast, so we can hopefully get on with the story.

Sounds like a fun project on a rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Really loving this. The music is excellent and I'm very excited to see where the story goes.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Really loving this. The music is excellent and I'm very excited to see where the story goes.

You can find the music on YouTube and Spotify. Really is different and cool in parts. Glad it’s not ‘typical’ Star Wars orchestral stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

The use of music when Mando was fighting the rhino (thing) was particularly fantastic. Never heard anything like it before.

I'm enjoying the slow pace of it. And baby Yoda of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

In terms of a perfect mixture of inventivess and fan service to the originals, its everything Episodes 7,8 should have been and probably 9 will be. I am really impressed with it so far.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The use of music when Mando was fighting the rhino (thing) was particularly fantastic. Never heard anything like it before.

I'm enjoying the slow pace of it. And baby Yoda of course.

Did you notice? He plays two notes of the force theme then let’s it hang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Came across this and laughed way too much at it...

496339.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Or...

0.jpg

• Advertisement

seems like Daisy was sending a burn Ruin's way

https://twitter.com/starwrsarchive/status/1199341581335068673

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

My eyes are burning from the nuclear heat of that take

My eyes are burning from the nuclear heat of that take

i like her honesty, she didnt even fake having to think about it or be diplomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

She's not the sharpest tool in the shed to be honest.

silverharp wrote: »
    i like her honesty, she didnt even fake having to think about it or be diplomatic

So because she likes BY better than porgs, proof she hates the last Jedi.

I mean where to go with that :)

Ps I think she’d have been rounded on had she said porgs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Came across this and laughed way too much at it...

496339.jpg

Yoda doing the nasty is a rather disturbing thought:eek:
    "Turning me on, you are"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Kirby wrote: »
    She's not the sharpest tool in the shed to be honest.

It wouldn't be her brain I would be after, tbh.

That meme had to be shared cpgw. So good thanks for sharing :)

So because she likes BY better than porgs, proof she hates the last Jedi.

I mean where to go with that :)

Ps I think she’d have been rounded on had she said porgs :)

I didn't say "proof" Im not a mind reader , but Fallon seemed surprised the way she answered it. Wasn't there also some interview way back where she gave a very half hearted answer about the movie?

I wouldn't have thought anyone would round on her for defending something from a movie she was in versus something she wasn't.

• Advertisement

I like the Porgs and Baby Yoda. Sue me.

They're both industrialised adorableness at the behest of the Cuteness Department in Disney, so wouldn't go to war over who's better. Whoever wins, we lose.

Advertisement