Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Establishing and developing are different.

And little was developed between either that hadn't already been established in episodes 1 -3.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    Again, you have no idea what is filler or what will have an impact later. Absolutely none. You have your theories and what 'appears' to be the case.

It is the same nonsense from some about TLJ. People had expectations and lose themselves when they don't get what they want. #notmyluke

Whatever. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught up on episode 5 and was fairly fan service'y, but I suppose you can't visit the universe without stopping by at the planet that started it all.

Preferred the action of episode 4 though, and continuing the discussion/rant/whinge (delete where applicable) about filler, here felt a lot more guilty of this. Killing time while Mandos ship was repaired; at least the Village-In-Peril episode had a self contained arc, instead of the mercenary equivalent of a coffee in the local applegreen :D

Criminal waste of Ming Na Wen though, given her presence in promotions I'd hope she might figure more than the 5 or so minutes we got.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Preferred the action of episode 4 though, and continuing the discussion/rant/whinge (delete where applicable) about filler, here felt a lot more guilty of this. Killing time while Mandos ship was repaired

5 hit me in the feels more, Mos Eisley and all that blarney. But, yeh, the last two episodes feels like we're watching the Mando do a couple of nixers. "Killing time" is a good phrase to use. Killing time in an 8 episode series though. :confused:

Where 'The Mandalorian' is being really good is expanding the cultures of the folk we met on Tatooine in the original films, such as the Jawas (yeah, they're "off world") and the Sandpeople. I very much liked how they got a nice shake of the stick..."indigenous people" and all that. Their ninja movement was bit WTF though.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Criminal waste of Ming Na Wen though, given her presence in promotions I'd hope she might figure more than the 5 or so minutes we got.

I have no idea who she is and I don't care. But, she is yet another character that's now dead after being pushed to promote the show. Hello IG-11. Although him being a droid, he may return with a patched up head.

It's been a strange old ride so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I should have enjoyed this weeks episode a lot more than I did there is just something that isn't working with the series as a whole.

Bill Burr was a nice surprise didn't expect to see him in a Disney show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I diidn't like it at all. Lots of action and sentimental nods to the originals nothing more that another set piece episode

• Advertisement

Put this on and I just wanna watch The Expanse instead. They're apples and oranges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Put this on and I just wanna watch The Expanse instead. They're apples and oranges though.

Similar thoughts here. I haven't downloaded watched either yet, I usually wait until the evening, but I'm definitely looking forward to The Expanse a hell of a lot more.

Another flash in the pan. Decent but I lose interest when I know all the characters will be gone by the end of the episode. I could watch an entire series of Space Bill Burr though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

These episodes are getting better and better. That shot of Mando coming up behind Bill Burr with the flashing lights was perfect....Reminds me of an xenomorph.

Another Mandalorian nixer episode.

Enjoyable enough, but is that really it for this show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Anybody notice Matt Lanter (Timeless) as the Soldier, Richard Ayoade as Zero and Clancy Brown as Burg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Really enjoyed that episode. A definite improvement over the previous couple of episodes. Some nice guest appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tony EH wrote: »
    Another Mandalorian nixer episode.

Enjoyable enough, but is that really it for this show?

I think it is. It's clear now they're not trying to tell a gripping story. It's entertaining though so I guess I'm okay with that

I think it is. It's clear now they're not trying to tell a gripping story. It's entertaining though so I guess I'm okay with that

So, we just watch the Mandalorian do an odd job week to week? That doesn't sound very promising.

So, we just watch the Mandalorian do an odd job week to week? That doesn't sound very promising.

I'm sure the 'pay off' will be a big tie in to the upcoming movie in the last couple of episodes, probably something to do with baby yoda. Just hope next Star Wars TV series has a bit more going on plot wise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sorry starwars_dude_who_keeps_getting_banned_and_shall_not_be_named for taking so long to adding this to the thread:

1.6: FILONI CAMEO!!!!! :D

It was an OK episode. Kinda just putting the Mandalorian into perspective versus the others / droids for the most part.
    Might have been saving budget for the next (last) two episodes of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah! I knew the other two looked familiar!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-mandalorian-gave-us-a-few-new-stars-to-gaze-at-this-1840397558
    That’s when three X-Wing fighters drop out of hyperspace. They’re played by Dave Filoni, Rick Famuyiwa, and Deborah Chow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its Star Wars not Star Trek. You are not going to get any deep meaningful stories here or stories reflrcting the world we live in and what is going on or ones about meaning of life. I enjoy them as aa bit of easy light entertainment and thought this episode was quiet funny too. Loved the way it ended as well and it also did show that Mando is no ejit. He is much cleverer than people think.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually what it has started to most remind me of are the TV series of my childhood in the 70's and 80's. Back then series were far more episodic with little or no overarching plot in the background. Basically you'd tune in and watch your fave characters in their world do their thing and usually there wasn't much in the way of change from the general plot every week and if anything no expectation or particular want for it.

So you'd have say the Incredible Hulk, who would walk into a town, get settled in, often meet some possible love interest and local "baddie", who would amp up the pressure until the Hulk made his appearance in green paint, ripped clothes and slow motion, then he'd go back to normal and walk out of town again, cue sad muzak. Rinse and repeat. On occasion you might have a two parter :eek:. Hold the front presses! :D You could apply the above to nearly every TV series. I suppose because they were far more "throwaway" and you had no expectation of ever seeing an episode again and you could easily miss an episode so they kept things simple and constant to keep an audience.

Now times and expectations have certainly changed in the era of box sets and streaming and we expect more back plots and story arcs and are more sophisticated viewers, so maybe that's why it's not resonating as much for some? It's old fashioned? That and the heavy expectations of any franchise fanbase of course. It's odd Disney seem to have gone this route.

I'm enjoying it overall and pretty much like I might have enjoyed it when I was a kid, take each episode as it is, some good, some meh. Though maybe that's because I'm old. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually what it has started to most remind me of are the TV series of my childhood in the 70's and 80's. Back then series were far more episodic with little or no overarching plot in the background. Basically you'd tune in and watch your fave characters in their world do their thing and usually there wasn't much in the way of change from the general plot every week and if anything no expectation or particular want for it.

• Advertisement

The Mandalorian is a $100 million show about nothing: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/mandalorian-episode-6-review-1202197284/

I wouldn't be as cynical as that reviewer but a lot of good points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'm not hugely impressed by the show, to be honest. It started fairly strongly, but it has definitely taken a dip over the past 3 episodes.

Not rubbish, but not great. It's just "competent".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Great episode.

I don't mind that theres no continuity between episodes.
    It's nice there's such a variety in characters and locales.

We'll see what Wednesday brings. The final scene last week shows the net is closing tighter on Mando, even if we don't see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great episode, still really enjoying the show and disagree with all the criticisms.

I guess one of the issues for fans is that, due in part to the episodic storylines, there's not much to talk about after each episode. Personally I really like that about it and it's what I think SW was always supposed to be about. Escapism rather than all this tedious theorising about the mythology that broke the brains of Star Trek fans. However in tv, and increasingly film, there's a lot of pressure for each episode to provide post-viewing water cooler chatter/social media traffic. This was probably the major mistake Rian Johnson made with TLJ: not leaving the fans something to chew on for the next 2 years like JJ did. In absence of nonsensical theorising about mystery boxes they complained and nitpicked about the film. Because there was nothing to talk about.

Anyway, I still think some semblance of an arc will become clear in the last two episodes but if it doesn't I don't care. This show turned out far better than I ever imagined it would.

AMKC wrote: »
    Its Star Wars not Star Trek. You are not going to get any deep meaningful stories here or stories reflrcting the world we live in and what is going on or ones about meaning of life.

Who says I'm looking for that? I don't want 'Star Wars' to be 'Star Trek', nor am I wishing to see 'Heart of Darkness' with R2D2.

I would, however, like to see a story with a bit of substance. That's not much to ask for.

'The Mandalorian' is getting a lot of critical feedback because it's been so twee, after making a really great start in the first 3 episodes and then turning into a bunch of "what the Mando did next" type of one off stories.

As others have said above, it's like a show from the 70's or 80's. But, than doesn't equate good, in my book. Tele has largely left that format behind and it's been MUCH better for it too.

Anyway, it is what it is, but that doesn't allow it any armour form criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The Mandalorian is a $100 million show about nothing: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/mandalorian-episode-6-review-1202197284/

I wouldn't be as cynical as that reviewer but a lot of good points

The show reminds me of an open-world game like Witcher 3 or GTA 5, where each episode is like a new sidequest that doesn't have any bearing on the previous sidequest, but all the while the same main characters are carried on through gradually developing their relationship as part of an overall plot line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's more Firefly than Star Trek.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Wibbs your spot on, it reminds me of the 6 million dollar man or buck rogers. No big overriding plot. just a splash of MacGyvor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It’s Walker Texas Ranger in space: a bad ass lead guy going from planet to planet every week beating up bad guys. Except this one has a Star Wars (TV) budget, a general overarching plot that ties into the main Star Wars story and self-referential humour (“Hey I wasn’t a stormtrooper!” got me good this week). I feel like it’s pretty much what I signed up for, given that I didn’t go in with any mad expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

It's a space western and Mando is the man with no name along with the monosyllabic conversations.
    He even sounds like Clint Eastwood.
    It's not great to be honest. All a bit fluff.
    It's a Disney kids series but I thought it would be better than it is ...and honestly, I've been a bit disappointed.
    We got the help the village episode, the break someone out of jail one, the young gunslinger fresh behind the ears one. What's next I wonder?
    Bonanza in Space!

Advertisement