Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess one of the issues for fans is that, due in part to the episodic storylines, there's not much to talk about after each episode. Personally I really like that about it and it's what I think SW was always supposed to be about. Escapism rather than all this tedious theorising about the mythology that broke the brains of Star Trek fans.

That's it though, there's nothing to talk about. It's grand, but for escapism I've had more lasting affection for something like, say, the recently ended Killjoys (also about space bounty hunters and relatively simple storytelling).

Basically, putting a bucket on the head of your lead character IMO remains a terrible idea to get me to give a sh*t. And my recent antipathy for Disney makes me suspect BabaYodas bona fides :D

I think there's a happy medium to be had here though; I hate puzzle box narratives that are intentionally withholding or vague - Westworld is the poster child ATM for that bollix - but there's a flimsiness in Mandolorian that's disappointing.

It got off to a great start, and episode 3 for me was the highpoint mix of setting, character and action all working in tandem - but then there's this weird lull. In fact assuming episodes 7 and 8 will be plot centric again, it makes me wonder if this had 4 episodes of actual story ready to go, but then had to hastily cobble together some once off stories to fill the episode order. Wouldn't be the first time that happened with TV seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Fcuk it. it's not what I was expecting but it is what it is, This makes a change from watching heavier series. It doesn't involve much thought. I've been reluctant to admit it's fun. Because of the soundtrack being spot on so far, the only issue I had with this episode was that itself; the music. I felt it was of the Hip hop/urban genre. Not that it was bad, I just thought it didn't go well with the episode when you factor in what we've come to know so far. I'm a fan of Bill Bull and I didnt know how he'd get on but I liked him in it, it wass a nice touch. The Mondo sequence hunting Burr in the strobes great But when those x-wings appeared, I was grinning like a full-time dipsh*t .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Fcuk it. it's not what I was expecting but it is what it is, This makes a change from watching heavier series. It doesn't involve much thought. I've been reluctant to admit it's fun. Because of the soundtrack being spot on so far, the only issue I had with this episode was that itself; the music. I felt it was of the Hip hop/urban genre. Not that it was bad, I just thought it didn't go well with the episode when you factor in what we've come to know so far. I'm a fan of Bill Bull and I didnt know how he'd get on but I liked him in it, it wass a nice touch. But when those x-wings appeared, I was grinning like a full-time dip**** .

Ya me too. Thought it was fantastic when escaped the cell and it turned to a horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Ya me too. Thought it was fantastic when escaped the cell and it turned to a horror.

Agreed. Like the style is very old school but moments like that remind you that this is still Star Wars and they have the resources and people to switch it on and make it something exhilarating at a moment’s notice. Baby Yoda teasing using his force powers also had me on the edge. I can’t wait until they get to the stage where him and Mando are teaming up 50-50 taking people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can get people's disappointment with the lack of clear plot progression in the last few episodes considering what the first three established, but I'm still really enjoying it as an old school episodic thing. The sharp visuals, the fine detail, the nostalgia, it being a love letter to the OT, all of it - I just really, really enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The first 3 episodes were ok, I had it as a 7/10.

It's now more like a 5/10 series for me.

So much for Filoni and Favreau being geniuses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Loving the music and all but the amount of recent filler episodes FFS, I'm assuming it will ramp up now, at least the last episode was longer.
    We need a strong finish...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

What’s filler though? Like that’s people criticising it based off their own expectations for what they subjectively want it to be, like criticising Friends for not having enough horror. This is what the show is. They’ll no doubt eventually address questions like what the story is with Baby Yoda, why the Empire are still lurking, what happened to the New Republic (and feel free to quote me if they don’t) because they are questions the show itself has asked. But this is an ‘adventure of the week’ show, that’s clear now.

Did they have an adventure this week? Yes. Then they filled their remit. Do you have to watch or enjoy it? No. But to say it’s ‘filler’ is an empty, unfair critique.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a fair critique when the show starts in one fashion, then dukes into another. Episodes 1 through 3 were a happy marriage of arc and character, a pretty strong momentum too to keep things interesting; our characters literally fleeing into space with bounty hunters and the Imperial remnant behind them. That's an exciting prospect teased. Then we got a hard gear change into faffing around for a couple of episodes, episode 5 being a literal pitstop and some busywork work while the Mandos ship was repaired.

Even traditionally episodic shows from the past were still "about" something. I know Sad Professor chided Trek, but TNG - to take an example - still managed to be little nuggets of character, or an interesting once off story. Data learning to be human maybe, Picard is captured, or just a good parable on war, love, tribbles etc. They were narrative square meals.

As I said I bet episodes 7 and 8 will loop back to the main plot but come season 2 , I'd like to see something a little more thought out. I still wonder if the production didn't have enough material for 8 episodes and had to pad it out. If nothing else, I want a few more characters to stick around.

If what is broadcast is enough and just popping in on a world suffices then cool!. Honestly I've never seen such debate on a show this slim on content, and I know that's only cos everyone here has a vested interest in Star Wars :)

But if you’re mapping out a story arc it goes:

Episode 1: Establish main character, finds sidekick that awakens something in him.
    E2: In attempt to escape, it’s revealed that the sidekick has special powers and may also be able to protect the hero.
    E3: Lead character tries to complete his job but sidekick’s connection with him proves too strong, they flee. Lead character becomes hero.
    E4: Find place where sidekick can be happy and teach people there to protect themselves. Hero attempts to leave sidekick because quiet life isn’t for him but realises they’re stuck together for the foreseeable future.
    E5: Hero realises that, wherever they go, word of their travels has reached and they will be in fear of constant threat.
    E6: Hero realises that even former friends or fellow outlaws can no longer be trusted and they are truly alone. And they are building a list of further enemies who’ll be out to get them when they can (hence the crew being shown alive in the prison cell).

That’s an arc told through weekly adventures. There’s continuous development of the overall story while every individual episode has a beginning, middle and end,

• Advertisement

I disagree and think there's a bit of reading into things, but it's obvious by now we're all seeing different perspectives. Maybe it comes down to the utter apathy I feel for the main character. Can't get behind Lord Bucketheads cousin as the hero *shrug*

The show is grand, 8 episodes is no investment of time, but if it's more of the same in season 2 I'll be out. I'm hoping for something a bit less unfocused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I wont lie, anytime there is potential danger to the kid my heart sinks a little! As for the series so far, its grand was expecting it to be a lot better but maybe my expectations were to high

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As much as fans want the series, I believe this is first and foremost targeted at children, who are the main target demographic for Disney+. Clone Wars was pretty episodic when it started, as were Rebels and Resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If the only complaint people have is that there's no continuous story arc, then the series is doing very very well.

I really like it. It's nice to get a new story every week and really explore the Star Wars galaxy.

I don't need things to be tied into the overall universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I wont lie, anytime there is potential danger to the kid my heart sinks a little! As for the series so far, its grand was expecting it to be a lot better but maybe my expectations were to high

I would like to find out who gave the ok for BY to be dropped flat on his face during the landing scene. :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    I disagree and think there's a bit of reading into things, but it's obvious by now we're all seeing different perspectives. Maybe it comes down to the utter apathy I feel for the main character. Can't get behind Lord Bucketheads cousin as the hero *shrug*

See I get that criticism though, that’s valid. The arc they have is no use if you can’t invest in the main character that drives it all. I disagree personally and buy into the intrigue behind him (but only because I know they’re not paying Pedro Pascal however much he commands after GoT to stay masked and they’ve brought up him unmasking so much) but that’s fine, I wouldn’t argue with that POV at all. It’s a huge risk they took to build a show around a guy who’s sworn never to show their face, and with risks like that it’s inevitable that it won’t work for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

leggo wrote: »
    But if you’re mapping out a story arc it goes:

Episode 1: Establish main character, finds sidekick that awakens something in him.
    E2: In attempt to escape, it’s revealed that the sidekick has special powers and may also be able to protect the hero.
    E3: Lead character tries to complete his job but sidekick’s connection with him proves too strong, they flee. Lead character becomes hero.
    E4: Find place where sidekick can be happy and teach people there to protect themselves. Hero attempts to leave sidekick because quiet life isn’t for him but realises they’re stuck together for the foreseeable future.
    E5: Hero realises that, wherever they go, word of their travels has reached and they will be in fear of constant threat.
    E6: Hero realises that even former friends or fellow outlaws can no longer be trusted and they are truly alone. And they are building a list of further enemies who’ll be out to get them when they can (hence the crew being shown alive in the prison cell).

That’s an arc told through weekly adventures. There’s continuous development of the overall story while every individual episode has a beginning, middle and end,

Except what REALLY happened was this...

1. Introduce the lead. Introduce the bounty and what appeared to be the plot setup for the series.

2. Reveal more about baby Yoda and the lead's reaction to it. The lead is now indebted to his one time McGuffin through its actions.

3. The lead makes a decision, which has ramifications and impact on the plot.

4. Odd job.

5. Odd job

6. Odd job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If the only complaint people have is that there's no continuous story arc, then the series is doing very very well.

That's really the only solid complaint, so far, on the series as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Episode 7 will air on Wednesday I'm guessing that is the tie in episode for the film which open on Thursday and the final episode will air on the 27th.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Except what REALLY happened was this...

1. Introduce the lead. Introduce the bounty and what appeared to be the plot setup for the series.

2. Reveal more about baby Yoda and the lead's reaction to it. The lead is now indebted to his one time McGuffin through its actions.

3. The lead makes a decision, which has ramifications and impact on the plot.

4. Odd job.

5. Odd job

6. Odd job.

I don’t see how you dispute things that literally happened and we all saw. :pac:

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    See I get that criticism though, that’s valid. The arc they have is no use if you can’t invest in the main character that drives it all. I disagree personally and buy into the intrigue behind him (but only because I know they’re not paying Pedro Pascal however much he commands after GoT to stay masked and they’ve brought up him unmasking so much) but that’s fine, I wouldn’t argue with that POV at all. It’s a huge risk they took to build a show around a guy who’s sworn never to show their face, and with risks like that it’s inevitable that it won’t work for some.

Thing is, it could have worked had they given him a crew or some side cast members to bounce off, but instead we have moments where the big emotional climax is the camera holding on his helmet and it's like ... *Shrug* I can't invest in a show where I literally can't see how a character is feeling. And none of the other characters have stuck around long enough for me to give a damn (few bar Wahtiti's droid have been interesting anyway).

Maybe this is all going to be solved come season 2, maybe maybe maybe; which seems the running ellipsis on this show so far, that expectation that there's this grand plan somewhere. Not like the movies have suggested this mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I really like it. It's nice to get a new story every week and really explore the Star Wars galaxy.

I don't need things to be tied into the overall universe.
    It looks well, no surprise at $100m but otherwise it's just adventure of the week. That's not necessarily a bad thing except it's pretty much the same adventure and home to Baby Yoda. People will tire of that.

Episode 7 will air on Wednesday I'm guessing that is the tie in episode for the film which open on Thursday and the final episode will air on the 27th.

I hope not to be honest. Already far too many people meddling with the new trilogy. Last thing we need is JJ Abrahams having to bend over backwards to include some call back to this series.

I hope not to be honest. Already far too many people meddling with the new trilogy. Last thing we need is JJ Abrahams having to bend over backwards to include some call back to this series.

Teenage Yoda set to appear in the film maybe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm enjoying the show, and I like how it has stand-alone adventures. I think the people criticising it were expecting too much. It's a show aimed at both adults and kids, enjoy it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Teenage Yoda set to appear in the film maybe :P

Teenage Yoda : Bounty Hunter.

I'm sure that's a spinoff in itself

If they're going to dip into other genre staples, they could do worse than wholesale rob the premise of Firefly and populate a junk hauler with a wily and charismatic cast of characters. Not like the SW and Western influence wasn't all over that show (maybe too much at times), and I'd honestly be more invested in Mando if it peppered some more characters - in all sense of the word - into its foreground. Unfortunately by dint of this warrior religion lark, I'm worried they'll stick with the Lone Wolf routine.

They need to find a reason for the helmet to come off in season two at times.

I'm guessing that isn't even Pedro Pascal in most of the episodes and he is just doing the voice overs.

I’d say the helmet is coming off before the end of this season, most likely under duress. Baby Yoda’s origin and the political landscape are big picture questions they can answer in future years, the helmet has been brought up so much this season it’s more of a live issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm guessing that isn't even Pedro Pascal in most of the episodes and he is just doing the voice overs.

Filoni's experience with Voice cast in the animated series would be a strenght there.

Advertisement