Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Talking Baby Yoda he makes 10 sounds which all sound the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say the reason it's on Wednesday this week is just so it doesn't clash with the opening weekend and also to give people a wee taste of Star Wars before the main thing.

I hope it or the finale don't tie in because there's a good chance I won't see the film right away.

Never understand why they release films around now. They don't show episodes of tv series around now or Thanksgiving because they think people won't be watching, yet they expect people to go out of their way to see a 2+ hour film?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd say the reason it's on Wednesday this week is just so it doesn't clash with the opening weekend and also to give people a wee taste of Star Wars before the main thing.

I hope it or the finale don't tie in because there's a good chance I won't see the film right away.

Never understand why they release films around now. They don't show episodes of tv series around now or Thanksgiving because they think people won't be watching, yet they expect people to go out of their way to see a 2+ hour film?

That’s changing. TV/movie execs are slowly copping onto the fact that people don’t really do much around Christmas so have the time to sit down and watch something good, I’d expect a lot more premium content to be released around this time of year in future.

Same as you, I hope there’s no tie-in to the movie. A Baby Yoda cameo in ROS would risk ruining the show: the most intense parts are where he’s in danger so guaranteeing us he lives would be a big mistake imo. Mando by himself would be the only tie-in that I could see possibly working at all, because then what happened Baby Yoda? But even then no, just leave it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be surprised if there's any tie in and TBH, nobody has squared that circle yet; it has mostly been either the MCU or Star Wars, but the two media of TV and film are too separate for a production to tether its narrative to the opposite form. Agents of SHIELD was as close as things got IMO, and was most closely aligned to the cinematic universe but even that often skirted events on film - and the opposite was never true either. That may change now that some MCU characters are getting their own TV shows but even then I'd be surprised if subsequent appearances in movies will require knowledge of those shows.

As for Star Wars, it has been clear from the main Trilogy that there has been little continuity thought through, and perhaps the arrival of Kevin Feige is set to address that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Is Feige taking over the Star Wars universe now as well as the Marvel one? He is spreading himself very thin taking control of the two major liveaction franchises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Can't understand the facsination with this guy. He's just a producer. He's never written anything. He's never directed anything.

Yet people seem to think he's the answer to every Hollywood ill. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I just watched ep 6 and actually really enjoyed it.

It is definitely a kiddies Saturday morning type of show. It is Champion the Wonder Horse meats McGuyver meets the A-Team meets Flash Gordon. All it is really missing is a cliffhanger at the end of each episode ( they missed a trick here if you think about it ).

Still enjoying the show. But I have to say I am not as mustard to watch it going forward. That Yoda is always going to be a chirping baby....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 6 was the first where I felt a proper sense of danger and tension; the plot beats were fairly predictable (bar the switch at the end that Mando
    let the mercenaries live
    ), but for once there was a sense of a genuine threat faced by the main character. Not that I expected Mando or Baba to be killed or anything, but there was a good facade of danger & the mercenary crew really bubbled with a sense that violence was going to break out any minute..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is Feige taking over the Star Wars universe now as well as the Marvel one? He is spreading himself very thin taking control of the two major liveaction franchises.

Doubt it. This does look like a great time for him to come to know the Star Wars side of the Disney business a bit though... in case he ever is in the running for the Disney top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Episode 7 is out if anyone didn't know, push earlier to get it out before weekend and film.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there's any tie in and TBH, nobody has squared that circle yet; it has mostly been either the MCU or Star Wars, but the two media of TV and film are too separate for a production to tether its narrative to the opposite form. Agents of SHIELD was as close as things got IMO, and was most closely aligned to the cinematic universe but even that often skirted events on film - and the opposite was never true either. That may change now that some MCU characters are getting their own TV shows but even then I'd be surprised if subsequent appearances in movies will require knowledge of those shows.

As for Star Wars, it has been clear from the main Trilogy that there has been little continuity thought through, and perhaps the arrival of Kevin Feige is set to address that.

Wandavision is meant to lead into Doctor strange directly, and according to Feige you will have to watch the Disney+. They are pushing Disney+ and anchoring it to the MCU makes sense.

• Advertisement

1.7: Wow!
    I did not see that coming.

I thought he wouldn't make it
    Then he was so close
    Then Baby Yoda on the ground so I was NO HE BETRAYED!
    But then, no he hadn't. He's been loyal to the end.

Top marks to the Director (Deborah Chow) and Writer (Jon Favreau).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Episode 7...the best so far! Very tense!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Enjoyed that one a lot. While I enjoyed previous episodes it was starting to get a bit annoying that the plot wasn't advancing in any way, but they made up for that in this episode.

It's a decent watch, but not a great show overall. They could do a lot more with it in my opinion, but I'd be hopeful for a season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Easily the best episode of the lot so far. Give Deborah Chow a film and tell Rian and JJ to get lost. :pac:

And, at last, we're back to the main story.

Booooooooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anything in Episode 7 that links in or may spoiler Rise of Skywalker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Not that I could tell anyway. Going to see ep 9 tonight so will be interesting to see if anything from that ties into ep 7 of the Mandalorian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Roar wrote: »
    Not that I could tell anyway. Going to see ep 9 tonight so will be interesting to see if anything from that ties into ep 7 of the Mandalorian

Going to see it tomorrow morning after work, gonna be a long day tomorrow...Finish work at 7 andf tickets booked for 10

May I just ask that you avoid posting any movie spoilers in here. And if for some reason you feel you must, put them in spoiler tags with a warning they're for the film.

Thanks. I won't get to see it right away due to it being a busy time of year and all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ep.7 was really enjoyable and tied a few things together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

That was an enjoyable episode I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Probably a genuine spoiler so don't read it unless you're prepared.
    Force healing.

That was more like it. Much better episode with far more tension and a sense of danger than what people were describing the previous episode with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a great episode really well written and certainly made watching all the other episodes worth it. Really enjoyed that. Very sad at the end. I actually thought he had got there then when I seen the kid my heart sank. I think Cara is awesome. Loved the way she kept saying 4 troopers lol.
    Going to see the film tomorrow can't wait.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Relikk wrote: »
    Force healing.

Agreed. Though they include it in the film as well just in case people can't see the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Most enjoyable episode so far. I'm sure we will be left with a serious cliffhanger at the end of Ep. 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

At last! This is what I want to see out of this show, finally!

Unfortunately this last minute enthusiasm didn't translate to when I saw IX at midnight.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

At last! This is what I want to see out of this show, finally!

Unfortunately this last minute enthusiasm didn't translate to when I saw IX at midnight.:(

I've heard it's trash, but I think long term the sequel trilogy will be a blip in an otherwise pretty good new Star Wars era.

Disney needed to spunk a series out to pay back some of the outlay, but now they're trying to make some stuff that stands on its own merits.

Whatever the merits of Mandalorian as a story (I think it's actually looking pretty good), it appears to be a much better case of joined-up thinking and coherent style that suggests it has an overarching vision and I hope we see more that, and less the hodgepodge of ideas the Sequel trilogy has turned into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Gbear wrote: »
    I've heard it's trash, but I think long term the sequel trilogy will be a blip in an otherwise pretty good new Star Wars era.

Disney needed to spunk a series out to pay back some of the outlay, but now they're trying to make some stuff that stands on its own merits.

Whatever the merits of Mandalorian as a story (I think it's actually looking pretty good), it appears to be a much better case of joined-up thinking and coherent style that suggests it has an overarching vision and I hope we see more that, and less the hodgepodge of ideas the Sequel trilogy has turned into.

Yeah, I do think the storytelling for this is really clear and consistent. I quite like the self contained stories, kinda like the X-Files monsters of the week format. Not everything has to build into an overall plot.

Episode 6 and 7 have been much better standard and I think the simple equation behind the uptick in quality has been a proper sense of momentum and danger. There's a thread of tension that just didn't exist with earlier episodes, this penultimate one ending on a proper question mark too. Never felt Mando was in trouble up against that Tatoinne twit, whereas the last 2 episodes presented some proper adversaries. More of that please.

Dialogue was spotty though, don't remember Greef speaking so flowery before, but wonky lines were saved by what I hope was Herzog ad libbing "a libation to celebrate the closing of our shared narrative?" Only he could get away with something like that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

As I hoped, the prior appearances of some side characters were not just self-contained story threads that fizzled out.

With hindsight, I suppose that there wasn't as much wheel spinning as was initially feared, given that we seem to be getting payoffs now from the work done week to week.

It's a pretty good structure, all told. You can dip in and out to some extent, but there has been a pretty steady thread of the main plot underpinning the Mandalorian and Baby Yoda planet-hopping sojourns.

Advertisement