Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gbear wrote: »
    As I hoped, the prior appearances of some side characters were not just self-contained story threads that fizzled out.

With hindsight, I suppose that there wasn't as much wheel spinning as was initially feared, given that we seem to be getting payoffs now from the work done week to week.

It's a pretty good structure, all told. You can dip in and out to some extent, but there has been a pretty steady thread of the main plot underpinning the Mandalorian and Baby Yoda planet-hopping sojourns.

I can get that, but if you hadn't watched episode 4 I doubt anyone would be too out of the loop, as the script & action of 7 got across the key points quick enough without relying on that prior knowledge. Former trooper with no flag anymore, old ally of Mando, joining forces again as hired muscle. Probably would have helped if her character was a bit more interesting, not entirely sure she retroactively justified an entire episode to an intro. Suspect the sum total of her appeal is meant to be "hey, it's Gina Carano".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Eps 6 & 7 have got the show back on track after a few filler episodes. Thought 7 was one of the best of the series so far, great ending. Really looking forward to 8 now.

Only bad bit of 7 for me was the bit explaining how he reprogrammed IG11.....too long and even OH said to me after it was finished, "well that was a waste of 2mins".

As for Gina Carano....never seen her before this show, so the "hey its Gina Carano" means nothing to me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think Eps 6 & 7 have got the show back on track after a few filler episodes. Thought 7 was one of the best of the series so far, great ending. Really looking forward to 8 now.

Only bad bit of 7 for me was the bit explaining how he reprogrammed IG11.....too long and even OH said to me after it was finished, "well that was a waste of 2mins".

As for Gina Carano....never seen her before this show, so the "hey its Gina Carano" means nothing to me!

She was the mercenary in episode 4, so there you are. That's kinda the point really, she could have been brand new for all the difference it made :D

Oh and I guess IG11 will be the one to decliffhanger the situation, coming to the rescue upon seeing his dead master (and acting as a thread for "hey, looks like not all droids are bad" for Mando)

pixelburp wrote: »
    She was the mercenary in episode 4, so there you are. That's kinda the point really, she could have been brand new for all the difference it made :D

Yeah I know that....but I thought maybe she was famous before the show, but I hadn't ever seen her.....did I hear she was an MMA fighter?

But it did matter that she was in the show before, cos Mando went back to get her.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah I know that....but I thought maybe she was famous before the show, but I hadn't ever seen her.....did I hear she was an MMA fighter?

But it did matter that she was in the show before, cos Mando went back to get her.

She was an MMA fighter and has been in quiet a few films last big one was Deadpool and one of F&F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

First one that I've fully enjoyed! While one can admire the details and look in other episodes, the lack of any obvious direction was distracting. That said a minor gripe:
    Really did not need the tale of a droid reborn.

She was an MMA fighter and has been in quiet a few films last big one was Deadpool and one of F&F.

Had to check an image cos I couldn't remember her in Deadpool......got her now.

She'd hit you a quare bang. She's a big 'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Had to check an image cos I couldn't remember her in Deadpool......got her now.

She'd hit you a quare bang. She's a big 'un.
    She was also in Haywire, shot mostly here, which is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gbear wrote: »
    As I hoped, the prior appearances of some side characters were not just self-contained story threads that fizzled out.

With hindsight, I suppose that there wasn't as much wheel spinning as was initially feared, given that we seem to be getting payoffs now from the work done week to week.

It's a pretty good structure, all told. You can dip in and out to some extent, but there has been a pretty steady thread of the main plot underpinning the Mandalorian and Baby Yoda planet-hopping sojourns.

Episodes 4, 5 and 6 did nothing to advance the plot of 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8.

At best, 4 introduced Cara Dune (who was always going to be a returning character, no matter where she was inserted) and 6 introduced the crazy gang, some of whom may or may not return. Episode 5 (and probably 6) could be skipped in its entirety and the viewer would miss none of the story at all really. These episodes are really just the Mandalorian marking time, before Apollo Creed skypes him and tells him to get back to what he was focused on in episodes 1, 2 and 3.

Either way, those character introductions could have happened in another way, while the show followed its baby Yoda main plot line more closely.

It's clear that the self contained stories in 4, 5 and 6 are outside the main story of 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8 and why there's even pushback on that reality is, frankly, amazing.

I've heard that episodes 5 and 6 were written by someone else, in conjunction with the main writer overseeing the "real" plot, as it were. So that may explain why the appear to exist as a semi separate "sojourn" as you call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

is_that_so wrote: »
    First one that I've fully enjoyed! While one can admire the details and look in other episodes, the lack of any obvious direction was distracting. That said a minor gripe:
    Really did not need the tale of a droid reborn.

I took that to be setting the scene for Baby Yoda’s direction. We saw him force-choking in this episode, the point being that if he gets into the wrong hands under the wrong influence his powers can be used for evil (which is why Moff wants him), just like the droid had been. It’s also instructing Mando on the value of good parenting and that creatures aren’t defined by nature, but nurture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

!!!Finale SPOILERS!!!

The Darksaber!?! :eek: Dark things happened to Mandalore!

Overall the season was good:
    - Good grounding and backstory developed with a solid core.
    - Best director so far has to be Deborah Chow. The feeling of both her episodes (the early one where the Mandalorian goes back to rescue the child and the one where Kuiil is killed trying to protect the Child) were the most solid.
    - The Music By Ludwig MAN-DO-LOR-IAN Göransson! YUH! (youtube link)
    - I'm thinking Filoni still has to get to his trademark deep-dive into the characters in future seasons. We might not have done more than scratch the surface so far.

1.8: Decent episode. I thought the story points better than the direction.

Direction was decent:
    It was directed by Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok) so he could do the comedy bits simply.
    That bit at the start with the Storm Troopers not being able to hit a simple target was hilarious :D

The story felt stronger:
    - Reminders about troopers inability to hit targets.
    - Pointing out how the empire works: do what we say or die
    - The Mandalorian's name is Din Djarin
    - Origin of how Din Djarin joined The Mandalorians
    - Awe no: The Mandalorians. This is the way.
    - The Armorer is Boss. There is simply no better description! :) It's almost as if she's training Djarin up as an apprentice.
    - Gina Carano still acting great as Cara Dune. I don't remember her backstory before. She's from Alderaan. Forever-ally against Imps I'm thinking... with good reason.
    - An Astromech with LEGS! :eek: .. well.. of course.. I guess.. I mean.. yeah cos like it's a Droid.. which has Robotics and it's not like Robots can't be given more parts/attachments.
    - The IG-11 sacrifice. I thought Taika might have kept on board the series but I guess this gives him/them a way of handling him probably only having small amounts of time to give to the show.
    - Giancarlo Esposito looks to be on-board as our series lenght baddie Moff Gideon! He does baddie really well. Also: he can both think outside-the-box (shooting the power-supply unit) and occasionally hit a target.
    - THE DARKSABER! :eek:

To wrap up.. why not.. :):

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really didn't like the Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Family Guy banter at the start with the Troopers.

Other than that it was a really enjoyable episode and sets up season 2 nicely.

They honestly could have done that whole season in 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The two scout troopers at the start were played by SNL alum Jason Sudekis and Happy Endings‘ Adam Pally

A decent end to an, over all, decent show, despite a few hiccups here and there.

If there are any criticisms, then it would be the trope of Stormtroopers not being able to hit anything. This is getting really tiresome. What's the point in having antagonists if they are so limp? In the end, it's not funny. It's just silly and it kills any kind of tension that may be built up. You need the enemy to present a danger.

There's waaaaay too much plot armour going on for the "good guys". They don't even bother finding cover or defilade in a fight. I understand the need not to kill off people left, right and centre, but there are ways to achieve that without the logic of a scene breaking down.

It's a pity Werner is brown bread as he was great. But Gus Fring is still going and shaping up to appear in S02 and he makes for an excellent bad guy.

All in all, 'The Mandalorian' has been quite entertaining. Even the missus, who doesn't like Star Wars was into it. It falls over in a number of places and it's far from perfect, and it could seriously do with some tightening up here and there. But it's well made and shows what Disney can do with Star Wars, if the right people are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Disappointed with the finale in the end and especially so when I saw it was directed by Taika Waititi.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was an enjoyable episode and a good ending to the first season. The second season should be very interesting. Have they even started to shhot the second season yet? Will it be 7 months before its out?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Well that was an enjoyable episode and a good ending to the first season. The second season should be very interesting. Have they even started to shhot the second season yet? Will it be 7 months before its out?

Next Autumn :-/ They've already started work on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mandalorian
    Filming for the second season started by October 2019, with Dave Filoni and star Carl Weathers set to direct episodes for the season.[52] In December 5, 2019, Favreau confirmed that he already directed an episode for the second season.[53]
    Season 2 of #TheMandalorian coming Fall 2020
    https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/1210652862193098753

Carl Weathers directing? Hrrmmm... nothing he directed before is jumping off the screen at me.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001835/

A strong enough ending, but once the dithering started I had guessed the meat of the story would be the first and last episode(s). Some good set pieces and one small thing I've liked in this series as a whole, has been how it made a single TIE fighter or ATST dangerous.

Pedro Pascal will never earn easier money I daresay, top billing on a voiceover gig with one live action scene. Baby Yoda is carrying the charm of this series cos I remain unconvinced in its titular lead. Was disappointed that finale wasn't a lead into some form of SW Firefly, cos while the Mandalorian culture is interesting, Mando himself is a bucket o dullness.

Now, the question remains how successful this will be when it officially launches in March lol :D

Slydice wrote: »
    !!!Finale SPOILERS!!!

The Darksaber!?! :eek: Dark things happened to Mandalore!

Overall the season was good:
    - Good grounding and backstory developed with a solid core.
    - Best director so far has to be Deborah Chow. The feeling of both her episodes (the early one where the Mandalorian goes back to rescue the child and the one where Kuiil is killed trying to protect the Child) were the most solid.
    - The Music By Ludwig MAN-DO-LOR-IAN Göransson! YUH! (youtube link)
    - I'm thinking Filoni still has to get to his trademark deep-dive into the characters in future seasons. We might not have done more than scratch the surface so far.

1.8: Decent episode. I thought the story points better than the direction.

Direction was decent:
    It was directed by Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok) so he could do the comedy bits simply.
    That bit at the start with the Storm Troopers not being able to hit a simple target was hilarious :D

The story felt stronger:
    - Reminders about troopers inability to hit targets.
    - Pointing out how the empire works: do what we say or die
    - The Mandalorian's name is Din Djarin
    - Origin of how Din Djarin joined The Mandalorians
    - Awe no: The Mandalorians. This is the way.
    - The Armorer is Boss. There is simply no better description! :) It's almost as if she's training Djarin up as an apprentice.
    - Gina Carano still acting great as Cara Dune. I don't remember her backstory before. She's from Alderaan. Forever-ally against Imps I'm thinking... with good reason.
    - An Astromech with LEGS! :eek: .. well.. of course.. I guess.. I mean.. yeah cos like it's a Droid.. which has Robotics and it's not like Robots can't be given more parts/attachments.
    - The IG-11 sacrifice. I thought Taika might have kept on board the series but I guess this gives him/them a way of handling him probably only having small amounts of time to give to the show.
    - Giancarlo Esposito looks to be on-board as our series lenght baddie Moff Gideon! He does baddie really well. Also: he can both think outside-the-box (shooting the power-supply unit) and occasionally hit a target.
    - THE DARKSABER! :eek:

To wrap up.. why not.. :):

What's a darksaber?

What's a darksaber?

Quick answer: jump down to the last of my paragraphs (the one with the bullet points)

My first understanding of it came from the animated series. I think it was Star Wars: Rebels.

Boba Fett (the bounty hunter in the original films) is probably the most known Mandalorian even if we (well.. me anyway) didn't know he was a Mandalorian for a long time. After that the Mandalorians appearred a good amount in the animated shows.

If I remember correctly:
    • The Darksaber is a Lightsaber
    • The animated shows gave an idea of how to make a Lightsaber .. maybe just the Jedi..
    • I think it involved a trial in a Jedi temple (though maybe the Sith use a Sith temple)
    • Usually they get a crystal as part of the process
    • The crystal is a big power source (this is what was being mined on the planet in Rogue One)
    • The crystal gives the Lightsaber its colour.
    • The first (maybe only..) Mandalorian to become a Jedi got a crystal that turned the Lightsaber into the Darksaber
    • I don't think there's any other Darksaber

• Advertisement

I just realised I think your referring to the sword that Gideon used to cut himself out of the tie fighter. I presumed that was a vibro blade from Knight of the old Republic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

If you were a watcher of The Clone Wars and Rebels than The Darksaber and most of the Mandalore stuff would have made more sense. Its great that a live action series has strong ties to the previous animated shows.

Maybe it's both. I googled last night and found something mention a Darksaber appearing in a game. Wasn't sure though. I've not played all the games.

I'm getting there's a canon precedent but thought the darksabre effect looked weird. The totally negative space made the scene look like it had missing FX, or one of those "censor" bars :D

It had that same outta place look in the animated series.

Like... I can imagine the look on the special effects peoples faces when they came into them and said something like: We need a glowy black :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Great final episode, though I never realised IG-11 was a Kiwi-bot until I heard the ixtindid sintincus wuth muxed ep vewils

Decent enough ending.

But some of the set piece shoot ups are a bit daft. The fact that Cara was able to go out and drag Mando across the ground and back into their hideout whilst hundreds of laser shots whizzed about.

And then when they were on the barge, Mando said they were finished cos there was a whole squadron or whatever of stormtroopers at the end of the tunnel. Despite the fact they had just killed multiples more outside their hideout earlier. Why get so defeatist when stormtroopers continually prove they are useless.

Slydice wrote: »
    Boba Fett (the bounty hunter in the original films) is probably the most known Mandalorian even if we (well.. me anyway) didn't know he was a Mandalorian for a long time.

He's not, as far as I know. Neither him, nor dear old dad, were Mandalorians. They just appropriated the armour and the weaponry. If I recall rightly, the Mandalorians even had prices on their heads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The finale was strangely terrible.

This show obviously hasn't been a masterpiece of writing, but up until this episode I felt it was perfectly serviceable.

I'm surprised that there'd be such a drop in the quality of writing, sound mixing and pacing at the final hurdle, when this is the one with Taika Waititi at the helm.

This is the first episode where I've felt bored and was taken out of the action several times by how poor the dialogue was, with the characters delivering weird self-aware banter about how they were dithering around, giving a running commentary of the mundane or obvious events going on around them, undermining scenes that were already devoid of tension and dragging along.

Perhaps the goal was to dumb it down and aim it at children, which the show is ostensibly meant for, but I hadn't felt that before, and it's not particularly typical of Star Wars, even in the animated stuff.

Just odd.

Overall I liked the show, so that only makes the ending feel all the more limp.

• Advertisement

Someone else here suggested it before gbear, and on reflection it could be true; methinks this might have started as an intentional kids show, maybe even another Filioni produced cartoon and that the scripts got moved to live action instead. The dialogue and characterisation has been pretty simplistic at times; not that I was expecting deep complexities in a Star Wars show, but the scripts often had a certain naïvity about them.

Advertisement