Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well the episode when he went back to take baby yoda back after he had delivered him, there was plenty of violence against the stormtroopers.

I even thought about not letting my youngest watch it.

In one of the last two episodes they crack open the helmet of a stormtrooper during a fist fight. The jail break episode has strong enough violence also.

I don't know how someone can watch the season as a whole and claim it is less violent than the original trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

ayo13jM_460swp.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes it's set after RotJ, with the Imperials scattered and the New Republic ascendent. Baby Yoda is just a shorthand used given we neither know the creatures name or species (literally, George Lucas intentionally held off from ever giving a name, to increase Yoda's mystery and uniqueness)

Well it's a pity then that he introduced Yaddle in the prequels, takes away from the uniqueness a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have seen the first 4 episodes of the mandalorian, really loved the first 3 of them but the 4th was a bit of a dip in quality for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Baby Yoda cost $5m :eek:

Adam Pally on Mandalorian Trooper Cameo: We Were Warned Not to Punch the $5 Million 'Baby Yoda' Too Hard
    The Mandalorian‘s scene-stealing asset is a lot more than a million-dollar baby. At least, that is what series boss Jon Favreau told two very special guest stars when it came time to spank “Baby Yoda.”

Appearing at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Saturday to talk up his new NBC sitcom, Indebted, Adam Pally shared some anecdotes about his and SNL alum Jason Sudeikis’ season-ending cameo on the Disney+ series, as a pair of scout troopers minding the kidnapped child.

Amid exchanging banter about their ballbusting boss, Moff Gideon, Sudeikis’ trooper repeatedly whacks the saddle bag inside of which they have stowed the restless Child. By the end of the sequence, Pally’s curious trooper goes to check on the too-quiet asset only to get his finger bit — at which point he winds his arm and slugs the creature.

“I remember the first take that I did when I punched it…,” Pally told reporters at TCA. “They called ‘cut’ and Jon, who was watching on a monitor in his office, came down and said, “‘I just want to let you know that this is the hero [expensive puppet] and it costs, like, $5 million. I want you to hit it, but I want you to know that.'”

Apprised of his wee scene partner’s worth, Pally said, “The next three takes I missed, because I was so nervous.”

https://tvline.com/2020/01/11/mandalorian-finale-punching-baby-yoda-adam-pally-trooper/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Baby Yoda cost $5m :eek:

Adam Pally on Mandalorian Trooper Cameo: We Were Warned Not to Punch the $5 Million 'Baby Yoda' Too Hard

Bullsh*t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Bullsh*t :D

It sounds like the kind of thing you say when you don't want something broken, like your mother telling you to be careful with the 'good plates', which in truth weren't expensive at all.

Unlikely that they had too many extra Baby Yodas lying around so didn't want them breaking one during a throwaway scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, depends who made the puppet; no more than the words "government contract" makes private companies jack their prices up, the bottomless slush of cash available to Disney might have meant Babayoda was an all-expense paid for puppet (maybe the final cost included the CGI used here & there).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well Disney own Henson so I'm sure no big problem with getting a puppet there. And why would they have the most expensive version in the sack when you barely see him move?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It sounds like the kind of thing you say when you don't want something broken, like your mother telling you to be careful with the 'good plates', which in truth weren't expensive at all.

Are you saying my mum lied to me? She wouldn't do that. Especially since my dog went to live on a nice farm

Like a granddad holding his newborn grandchild.

https://twitter.com/Jon_Favreau/status/1217993455487475712

• Advertisement

We watched this over the past week. Very enjoyable even for someone who wouldn't be super into star wars like me. Minor niggles being a couple of episodes felt unnecessary and a little out of place and they were a bit on the short side but thats likely down to the fact I'm conditioned to expect long episodes from streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Might be of interest that Disney+ are bringing out the Final Season of the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Official Trailer:

Series definitely had Mandalorians in parts of it. Not sure how much they'll feature in this season.

Season 2 will start in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As with all good things, constant repetition and exposure on the internet has overplayed it, totally drying up my patience. I'm sick of Baby frickin' Yoda.

/grump

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Some impressive IL&M technology being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pixelburp wrote: »
    As with all good things, constant repetition and exposure on the internet has overplayed it, totally drying up my patience. I'm sick of Baby frickin' Yoda.

/grump

Go on, admit it. At the 8 second part you still went, Awwwwwww

Wow, this I didn't know and could be a game changer with TV and film production: a lot of the sets we saw weren't greenscreen, but 360 LED displays pumping out game engine footage courtesy of Epic Games.

So actors weren't blindly performing against blank canvases, but had "real" vistas, lighting etc. Apparently many shots didn't even neee any post FX work, such as the big space station hanger of Mandos old crew. Someone like David Fincher would have a field day with this tech:

Edit: double post it seems, whoopsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Some impressive IL&M technology being used.

That is pretty amazing stuff going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Disney Plus coming to Sky on March 24. If there's a free trial month or something I might get it so I can watch the Mando. Can't see it be of long-term interest...
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/3/21162654/disney-plus-sky-q-partnership-launch-uk-ireland-release-date

Disney Plus coming to Sky on March 24. If there's a free trial month or something I might get it so I can watch the Mando. Can't see it be of long-term interest...
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/3/21162654/disney-plus-sky-q-partnership-launch-uk-ireland-release-date

Anyone one know if the entire Manalorian will be available on Disney Plus from the off? I thought I saw somewhere they were going to release episodes week-by-week but I can't find anything definite...

Anyone one know if the entire Manalorian will be available on Disney Plus from the off?

Over on the Disney+ thread, it was included in the launch list:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112742416&postcount=136
    peteeeed wrote: »
    launch list
    <snip of GIGANTIC LIST :)>

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY
    <more snip>

THE MANDALORIAN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone one know if the entire Manalorian will be available on Disney Plus from the off? I thought I saw somewhere they were going to release episodes week-by-week but I can't find anything definite...

No one knows,but it'd be ridiculous if they went weekly like the original airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Rosario Dawson cast as
    Ahsoka Tano

CBR

Dawson's always a good addition to any cast list. Know nothing of
    Tano, as I don't watch the cartoons, but I'm guessing this news is a Big Deal to fans of said cartoon. Googling, Dawson's going to need a fair bit of make-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Rosario Dawson cast as
    Ahsoka Tano

CBR

SQUEEEEEE!!

:o

I do kinda wish it had been
    Ashley Eckstein, but I suppose there's absolutely no comparison in terms of name recognition and clout, and she's done little enough live-action work.

Dawson's great though. Can't wait.

I just can't see Rosario doing it but maybe I've got her pegged as a calming voice/personality. Would welcome a surprise though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Why though? I'd, rather they left Ahsoka alone. I don't see the character being translated well to live action, especially a beloved character that everyone has one solid idea of who and what they are, i.e. animated, and voiced by Ashley Eckstein. Overall it just feels like she's being shoehorned in because she's a fan favourite.

• Advertisement

Season 2 is slated to arrive this October.

Surely this will be deferred along with everything else ATM. Although I guess the Mando himself would be at minimal risk of infection...

Advertisement