Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Surely this will be deferred along with everything else ATM. Although I guess the Mando himself would be at minimal risk of infection...

Finished filming two weeks ago so it’s safe. Just editing and effects to do and there were little enough effects in season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone one know if the entire Manalorian will be available on Disney Plus from the off? I thought I saw somewhere they were going to release episodes week-by-week but I can't find anything definite...

Here's the story:
    https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/03/disney-plus-mandalorian-uk-release/
    On 24th March you will only be able to watch the first two episodes of The Mandalorian in the UK, even though the whole eight-episode season has been available in other territories for months. A third episode will arrive on 27th March (next Friday), but that's it for week one. After that it's a weekly release schedule, with each new episode arriving at 8am on a Friday morning.

Bit rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Relikk wrote: »
    Why though? I'd, rather they left Ahsoka alone. I don't see the character being translated well to live action, especially a beloved character that everyone has one solid idea of who and what they are, i.e. animated, and voiced by Ashley Eckstein. Overall it just feels like she's being shoehorned in because she's a fan favourite.

Dave Filoni is heavily involved with this as far as I know. As far as I'm concerned he gets carte blanche to do what he likes with Ahsoka, given that he created her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Weekly release in the UK feels very redundant, given how long it has been out worldwide. Wasn't quite a show that benefitted from a staggered release either, not like it was a dripfed story.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Dawson's always a good addition to any cast list. Know nothing of
    Tano, as I don't watch the cartoons, but I'm guessing this news is a Big Deal to fans of said cartoon. Googling, Dawson's going to need a fair bit of make-up!

It’s a huge deal for canon and potentially what’s to come. She was Anakins padewan and obviously knew yoda and Kenobi so could easily be brought into that series and be the one tells him Anakin/Vader survived and have him show her what he’s protecting.
    They’re mad about this weaving story’s across different paths but Here I have to imagine she’s present for the baby yoda of it all if he needs training or she knows where the home planet is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Seriously Runaways

You could have at least spoilered your post like everyone else is doing you just gave away a huge spoiler for those of us who want to stay away from future spoilers.

We all know you love Star Wars beyond everyone else of Boards but please watch it with the spoilers am going to have to put you on ignore its easier than leaving the thread now your posting history over the years shows you can't spoiler.

Seriously Runaways

You could have at least spoilered your post like everyone else is doing you just gave away a huge spoiler for those of us who want to stay away from future spoilers.

We all know you love Star Wars beyond everyone else of Boards but please watch it with the spoilers am going to have to put you on ignore its easier than leaving the thread now your posting history over the years shows you can't spoiler.

? Last time on boards was marriage equality but good try.
    I’ve read it back. What spoiler? Everything in there is stuff already released. the rest speculation.
    Baby yoda you mean? Hardly.
    I’ll edit it. Dm me the detail

Seriously Runaways

It's Relikk who didn't spoiler initially so easy mistake to make.

Anyway I for one cannot wait for this character to turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just in case you have Runaways on ignore already..
    Runaways wrote: »
    I’ll edit it. Dm me the detail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Gbear wrote: »
    Dave Filoni is heavily involved with this as far as I know. As far as I'm concerned he gets carte blanche to do what he likes with Ahsoka, given that he created her.

Still a horrible idea, IMO. Then again I wasn't too enamoured with The Mandalorian overall anyway, as I thought the baby Yoda crutch was annoying. My expectations for further seasons aren't high.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    Still a horrible idea, IMO. Then again I wasn't too enamoured with The Mandalorian overall anyway, as I thought the baby Yoda crutch was annoying. My expectations for further seasons aren't high.

Don’t know if true but Mandalorian is only two seasons total. So not a huge time swamp but loads of cool potential.
    I mean if they are going to Ahsoka at this point they can easily go to Luke. He was rambling round the galaxy at this stage and know people hate the idea but I’ve a funny feeling they won’t be able to resist the urge to touch base (hate that term too) with that skywalker element before they close out.

This series is just a seedbed for the Kenobi series anyway. Working back and forth in timeline but that’s how it’s been in Star Wars since the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I know spoilers are allowed here but I would rather this question is answered without them. Not getting the chance for a rewatch tonight.

I’ve watched the first episode and there was lot of excitement in the house for it - and that was enjoyably distracting. :)

Why didn’t the Imperials do the job themselves?

They gave the Mando a partial tracking code and a last known location. Then the episode skipped to the Mando being on the planet where the bounty was located.

Did I miss a scene where the Mando found clues?

I know spoilers are allowed here but I would rather this question is answered without them. Not getting the chance for a rewatch tonight.

I’ve watched the first episode and there was lot of excitement in the house for it - and that was enjoyably distracting. :)

Why didn’t the Imperials do the job themselves?

They gave the Mando a partial tracking code and a last known location. Then the episode skipped to the Mando being on the planet where the bounty was located.

Did I miss a scene where the Mando found clues?

I think Herzogs character either doesn’t have the numbers or has too many?
    They’d either be unable to break that compound alone or would be seen comin in force?
    That was what I think from it but don’t remember the specifics sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

We never got a reason why he couldn't fly straight to the pirate base, could be the area is more defended than we saw so like said a infiltration is better and better still if it's not their men doing it and they don't need to pay those who fail. Who knows where the planet was, could be hard for the Imperial remnant to travel unseen there after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael Biehn joins the cast for season 2.

I think Herzogs character either doesn’t have the numbers or has too many?
    They’d either be unable to break that compound alone or would be seen comin in force?
    That was what I think from it but don’t remember the specifics sorry

But the conversation between the Mando and Herzog isn’t about indicate sting or attacking a compound.

Herzog has the 50 year old partial tracking code and the last known location of the bounty from 50 years ago.

If that location was the same compound then why the need for the tracker.

Anyway it was tremendous stuff altogether from the start. I knew with the talent and passion involved that it would be great but I did not except it to be that fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What is the logic I wonder around only putting up the first two episodes up on Disney+ in Ireland at launch?

Varik wrote: »
    We never got a reason why he couldn't fly straight to the pirate base, could be the area is more defended than we saw so like said a infiltration is better and better still if it's not their men doing it and they don't need to pay those who fail. Who knows where the planet was, could be hard for the Imperial remnant to travel unseen there after the war.

Both responses have been reasonable points but I’m certain conversation was that it was job to locate and retrieve the bounty - not just retrieve him.

gmisk wrote: »
    What is the logic I wonder around only putting up the first two episodes up on Disney+ in Ireland at launch?

You mean as opposed to all of them?

Have other countries got the full season?

I thought it was Disney’s plan to release episodes weekly and not in full seasons.

But the conversation between the Mando and Herzog isn’t about indicate sting or attacking a compound.

Herzog has the 50 year old partial tracking code and the last known location of the bounty from 50 years ago.

If that location was the same compound then why the need for the tracker.

Anyway it was tremendous stuff altogether from the start. I knew with the talent and passion involved that it would be great but I did not except it to be that fantastic.

I haven’t seen it since ages so I don’t know? Sorry.
    Just on your last point I only heard tonight on Newstalk there were no sets. The whole thing was an interactive wrap around video screen and all the ‘sets’ weren’t really even there. Totally fooled me it looked and felt real Wild West Star Wars and that’s all you can ask for.
    Can’t wait to see more

Are you just starting the series now? If so enjoy. Nothing but spoilers out there. And here I guess. Go carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Michael Biehn joins the cast for season 2.

Oh! :eek:

Both responses have been reasonable points but I’m certain conversation was that it was job to locate and retrieve the bounty - not just retrieve him.

** they played that clip earlier on the radio. He can bring the asset in alive and he’ll gets loads of bounty. Or dead for a reduced amount. And the scientist guy goes mad says ‘that’s not what we agreed’.

So it’s a dead or alive bounty

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You as opposed to all of them?

Have other countries got the full season?

I thought it was Disney’s plan to release episodes weekly and not in full seasons.
    I mean more all 8 of them are already out there anyway....

gmisk wrote: »
    I mean more all 8 of them are already out there anyway....

I believe it is Disney’s plan that all the series get weekly episode releases - they are not interested in binge watchers but in keeping people coming back.

** they played that clip earlier on the radio. He can bring the asset in alive and he’ll gets loads of bounty. Or dead for a reduced amount. And the scientist guy goes mad says ‘that’s not what we agreed’.

So it’s a dead or alive bounty

Yes but if the Imperials knew the location of the target then why did the give the Mando a tracking code? And a last known location from 50 years ago.

This all says no one knew where the bounty currently was.

Yes but if the Imperials knew the location of the target then why did the give the Mando a tracking code? And a last known location from 50 years ago.

This all says no one knew where the bounty currently was.

It’s been a while and I don’t remember the specifics but the tracking code is kind of a problem in this show for us the audience. And not specific to the asset. It’s never explained. an odd element to throw into the pot. For me there was enough great stuff in the series for it not to be a problem. Many others had issues with it. But it’s Star Wars. If you start nit picking into the scientific or the specific you’re on a hiding to nothing.

I haven’t seen it since ages so I don’t know? Sorry.
    Just on your last point I only heard tonight on Newstalk there were no sets. The whole thing was an interactive wrap around video screen and all the ‘sets’ weren’t really even there. Totally fooled me it looked and felt real Wild West Star Wars and that’s all you can ask for.
    Can’t wait to see more

Are you just starting the series now? If so enjoy. Nothing but spoilers out there. And here I guess. Go carefully.

My first reaction to there being no sets was “bull****”. The built that town and fort.

If it is really was mostly CG then it was spectacular and the Sequel Trilogy should once again hang it’s head in shame for it highly unimaginative locations.

This first episode had planet types that have been used in Star Wars before - cold, sand, Wild West - and yet still managed to look different and not make me think “here we go again”.

My question and wanting to say how good it was are my only reasons for risking posting here. And deck it I’m going to watch it again now.

I’m out now. ;)

It’s been a while and I don’t remember the specifics but the tracking code is kind of a problem in this show for us the audience. And not specific to the asset. It’s never explained. an odd element to throw into the pot. For me there was enough great stuff in the series for it not to be a problem. Many others had issues with it. But it’s Star Wars. If you start nit picking into the scientific or the specific you’re on a hiding to nothing.

I was assuming that I missed something so there was no intentional nit pickery :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regarding the sets, nope many of them were not built and projections on 3d screens using the Unreal Game engine. Phenomenal technology, and here's the post again with the YouTube making of video. No post processing, no green screen, the actors able to act and react "in situ".
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Wow, this I didn't know and could be a game changer with TV and film production: a lot of the sets we saw weren't greenscreen, but 360 LED displays pumping out game engine footage courtesy of Epic Games.

So actors weren't blindly performing against blank canvases, but had "real" vistas, lighting etc. Apparently many shots didn't even neee any post FX work, such as the big space station hanger of Mandos old crew. Someone like David Fincher would have a field day with this tech:

Edit: double post it seems, whoopsie.

• Advertisement

My first reaction to there being no sets was “bull****”. The built that town and fort.

If it is really was mostly CG then it was spectacular and the Sequel Trilogy should once again hang it’s head in shame for it highly unimaginative locations.

This first episode had planet types that have been used in Star Wars before - cold, sand, Wild West - and yet still managed to look different and not make me think “here we go again”.

My question and wanting to say how good it was are my only reasons for risking posting here. And deck it I’m going to watch it again now.

I’m out now. ;)

It was mostly this big massive LED screen. Honestly. Using game technology I believe. I couldn’t tell difference until I heard today but keeping my second watch until before season two.
    Lucasfilm always makes the new thing. It will be full immersive headsets bodysuits in the film by the time the next time they make a film probably.

Advertisement