Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I believe it is Disney’s plan that all the series get weekly episode releases - they are not interested in binge watchers but in keeping people coming back.

But I presume once an episode has been broadcast it will be permanently available? So if I hang on for a couple of months I will be able to get the free week trial and watch it all in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,500 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Michael Biehn joins the cast for season 2.

Biehn as a bounty hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The LED wall is like the modern equivalent of matte painting, the camera is see most of it then and there and not going off for post for months and hoping what you got works in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It also means for once, the actors actually have some sense of place and physicality to work off. Never heard a single jobbing actor say they love trying to craft a scene against an entirely green set; whereas here you can properly frame a reference. Can't imagine the tech is cheap mind you, but more usage might drive down cost (assuming it isnt proprietary tech owned by Disney)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't believe people are only watching this for the 1st time now, especially if big SW nuts.

How did you avoid all the chat and spoilers about it for so long?

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    It also means for once, the actors actually have some sense of place and physicality to work off. Never heard a single jobbing actor say they love trying to craft a scene against an entirely green set; whereas here you can properly frame a reference. Can't imagine the tech is cheap mind you, but more usage might drive down cost (assuming it isnt proprietary tech owned by Disney)

Unreal, the huge set is Disney but Unreal have done it with a few other places too but at a smaller scale and due to that the wall isn't bright enough so they need additional lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't believe people are only watching this for the 1st time now,

I've suddenly found a lot of time on my hands for some reason...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    Unreal, the huge set is Disney but Unreal have done it with a few other places too but at a smaller scale and due to that the wall isn't bright enough so they need additional lighting.

Yarp, knew the rendering was Epic but was wondering about the projection system itself. An impressive piece of kit. Some serious ambient light coming off it, really adds to the authenticity of the scenes. What I had thought were sets turned out to be projections. Crazy stuff.

Varik wrote: »

Yarp, knew the rendering was Epic but was wondering about the projection system itself. An impressive piece of kit. Some serious ambient light coming off it, really adds to the authenticity of the scenes. What I had thought were sets turned out to be projections. Crazy stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Reading back on the thread a couple of people observed it all looked a bit too clean meaning the set and the worlds. I don’t agree but the wall tech might explain that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

But I presume once an episode has been broadcast it will be permanently available? So if I hang on for a couple of months I will be able to get the free week trial and watch it all in one go?

No episodes appear weekly in your account.

For example if you signed up in 8 weeks time you’d have only the first two episodes. Number 3 would appear the following week. I and others who joined now will have the full season.

No most bitch and moan about it. No desire to use their imagination.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can't believe people are only watching this for the 1st time now, especially if big SW nuts.

How did you avoid all the chat and spoilers about it for so long?

Very easily and with no effort :D

Except for “the Asset” of course but that reached out beyond the fan community.

Runaways wrote: »
    It was mostly this big massive LED screen. Honestly. Using game technology I believe. I couldn’t tell difference until I heard today but keeping my second watch until before season two.
    Lucasfilm always makes the new thing. It will be full immersive headsets bodysuits in the film by the time the next time they make a film probably.

I had no time for a rewatch but I watched it again anyway.

And I expected to notice when sets were not real but I did not.

Now this is the kind of thing Lucasfilm should indeed be working with its projects. Pushing that VFX boundary like Lucas used to do. The Sequels did nothing remotely special or epic with FX. I’m glad they are doing it with the series.

I’m hoping it means that future shows and movies won’t restrict themselves to “frontier” locations. This technology should be used to set stories in cities and truly alien environments.

What do you mean by immersive suits and helmets?

Maybe even Mon Cal.

While watching I forgot about the plot point that I was questioning the other day but I was able to retain more of the story watching it by myself. The job was indeed a locate and retrieve and the Imperials did not know where the target was but in the conversation Herzog says to the Mando that with his skills the partial code and last known location were enough for a skilled tracker. This removed to need to actually show the Mando travelling around investigating.

However my main reason Th or coming back was to ask about a possible Easter egg.

When Karga’s people are unloading the frozen prisoners, is that the Ghost in the background?

EDIT: I’ve just been mocked for not remembering what the Ghost looks like :p

I had no time for a rewatch but I watch led it again anyway.

And I expected to notice when sets were not real but I did not.

Now this is the kind of thing Lucasfilm should indeed be working with its projects. Pushing that VFX boundary like Lucas used to do. The Sequels did nothing remotely special or epic with FX. I’m glad they are doing it with the series.

I’m hoping it means that future shows and movies won’t restrict themselves to “frontier” locations. This technology should be used to set stories in cities and truly alien environments.

What do you mean by immersive suits and helmets?

Maybe even Mon Cal.

While watching I forgot about the plot point that I was questioning the other day but I was able to retain more of the story watching it by myself. The job was indeed a locate and retrieve and the Imperials did not know where the target was but in the conversation Herzog says to the Mando that with his skills the partial code and last known location were enough for a skilled tracker. This removed to need to actually show the Mando travelling around investigating.

However my main reason Th or coming back was to ask about a possible Easter egg.

When Karga’s people are unloading the frozen prisoners, is that the Ghost in the background?

EDIT: I’ve just been mocked for not remembering what the Ghost looks like :p

It’s boards. When they mock you it usually means you’re right.

Runaways wrote: »
    It’s boards. When they mock you it usually means you’re right.

No it was my nephew.

I sent a message thinking I was great for spotting it but he said it is not the Ghost at all.

The mocking was in jest - mostly.

This LED tech is going to help the normal budget constraints of TV and streaming, you can always see when they're constrained with limited sets or few location scenes.

To quote an David Tennat joke "I've been to many planets in the solar system, and you'd be surprised how many of them look like quarries in Wales"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Robert Rodriguez directing an episode for season 2.

https://twitter.com/Rodriguez/status/1257478516595032064?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Boba Fett, the iconic character from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, will appear in Season 2 of the Disney+ series, according to The Hollywood Reporter. He’ll be played by Temuera Morrison, who played Boba Fett’s father Jango Fett in the 2002 Star Wars prequel Attack of the Clones. (Boba Fett will only play “just a small role” in Season 2, though, the reports say.)

https://tvline.com/2020/05/08/the-mandalorian-boba-fett-season-2-temuera-morrison/

Ha. Boba Fett is a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Glad to see Memberberry Bingo will be as viable a game as ever for Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a bad idea having Fett in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

But Fett is dead or slowly being digested for 1000 years. Unless he survived the Sarlacc which is Legends material and non-canonical according to Disney. But, but... :confused:

Jesus Christ. Make up your (Disney) minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I know some people treat it as heresy but I wouldn't be against Boba Fett having not died in the Saarlac pit, if there's a compelling explanation, and it establishes motive for whatever he gets up to thereafter.

If he's just brought back in a sort of "Oh hey, he didn't die" wink to the audience and it's not explored or capitalized on in any way, I'd rather they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Could be a flashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Homelander wrote: »
    I know some people treat it as heresy but I wouldn't be against Boba Fett having not died in the Saarlac pit, if there's a compelling explanation, and it establishes motive for whatever he gets up to thereafter.

If he's just brought back in a sort of "Oh hey, he didn't die" wink to the audience and it's not explored or capitalized on in any way, I'd rather they didn't.

The major problem with this, though, is that if he managed to escape the Saarlac pit (say his jet pack wasn't fully destroyed) and got away. Surely he would have such a vendetta against Han Solo, that he'd go to the ends of the earth galaxy to seek his revenge? He'd dedicate the rest of his life to killing him. But, as we see from 'The Force Awakens' Solo is alive and well with not a bother on him, apart from a failed marriage, a prick of a son and an uncontrollable desire to indulge in petty crime.

It's all just a very bad idea to keep resurrecting these dead characters to appease the more stupider elements within fandom.

Fett's dead. Let him rest digest in peace.

However, in saying that, Bobby Fett (out of all the zombie Star Wars characters) is the most likely to survive his "condition", as he wasn't chopped in two or thrown down a 10,000ft shaft and exploded (and then subsequently retconned as a, ahem, clone :rolleyes: ).

It still doesn't stop it from being a, flat out, bad idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe he was the reason for Han's failed marriage. as revenger Boba seduced Leia. :)
    Also maybe he couldn't find Han as he didn't have a magic fob.

• Advertisement

It’s more likely that Morrison is playing Captain Rex. Ahsoka is confirmed appearing in season two and if you’re
    Up to date on clone Wars we see them head into the proverbial sunset together.

Morrison played Jango Fett and all the clones of which rex is one. Hes one of the main clone characters.

News outlets just assumed it’s boba given it’s the same actor but it’s also rumoured he’s playing them both. Let’s see.

Advertisement