Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Slydice wrote: »
    2.2: Decent episode! Spiders! Why'd it have to be spiders! *shudder*

That bit was like a mashup between Aliens and this scene

untitled-461.gif?w=382

All that was missing was the amphibian telling Mando to HOLD THE DOOR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

fitz wrote: »
    If you liked that, but haven't listened to the Black Panther episode of Song Exploder, I'd highly recommend it.
    just listened to the Killmonger theme, a lot of similarities between it and the Mandalorian theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know when season 2 actually starts? :rolleyes:

There are 6 episodes to go and it feels like we've had the absolute bare minimum of story this season.

Again that felt like a filler episode, unless the frog woman is important for the rest of the series.

Episode 1 didn't do much for me, and this did less.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That bit was like a mashup between Aliens and this scene

untitled-461.gif?w=382

All that was missing was the amphibian telling Mando to HOLD THE DOOR

I was thinking more of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

So next week will be a continuation of that story I assume since the husband is supposed to have info for Mando.

Oh and Richard Ayoade got to come back. Wonder if he even tries to not sound like Richard Ayoade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Nice nod to Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for The Empire Strikes Back with his "Knobby White Spider" being used. :pac:

ectnGCz.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I loved episode 2. Baby Yoda is getting all kinds of twitter backlash for this episode. Stay away from mandalorian hashtags on twitter if you don’t want it spoiled.

The show in general is great. Love it.

Are we meant to understand that Yoda og nibbling at that spider egg woke the other ones up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Relikk wrote: »
    Nice nod to Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for The Empire Strikes Back with his "Knobby White Spider" being used. :pac:

ectnGCz.jpg?1

It's great to see them keep McQuarrie's legacy alive. For all that it has got wrong over the years, Star Wars is fantastic at this kind of thing. For anyone into McQuarrie's art there's a superb book which came out in the 90s called The Illustrated Star Wars Universe with text by Kevin J Anderson. It takes a look at all of the planets involved in the Original Trilogy and showcases McQuarrie's designs and sketches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It would be funny to see like a parody of the Xenomorphs from Alien finding these creatures, having a panic and running for the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The whole
    eating eggs thing
    was a swing and a miss in my eyes.

"Hahaha
    genocide, but look at the cute thing eating.
    "

I was kinda left waiting for the switcheroo, but they just played it straight.

There's dark comedies where you could absolutely make that kind of thing work, but it was nails on a chalkboard stuff in Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Are we meant to understand that Yoda og nibbling at that spider egg woke the other ones up?

That’s what i took from it. Yoda og ? Brilliant. But yeah the first two episodes of season two haven’t been great given what it has to build on from the end of session one. Now it may kick in gear from here on out but it’d want to get going soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Gbear wrote: »
    The whole
    eating eggs thing
    was a swing and a miss in my eyes.

"Hahaha
    genocide, but look at the cute thing eating.
    "

I was kinda left waiting for the switcheroo, but they just played it straight.

There's dark comedies where you could absolutely make that kind of thing work, but it was nails on a chalkboard stuff in Star Wars.

The show is not real mate. People get murdered every week. No real living thing was harmed in the making of this show. You can find it funny or not but I wouldn’t over think it.

GSPfan wrote: »
    The show is not real mate. People get murdered every week. No real living thing was harmed in the making of this show. You can find it funny or not but I wouldn’t over think it.

That's a surprisingly stupid argument to make on a discussion forum.

I wasn't offended by baby Yoda eating the eggs, other than to the extent that I'm offended by bad writing. It's not a moral issue. It's a tone and internal consistency issue.

It'd be the same if they decided that Mr Mandalorian started drinking the blood of his enemies, or gave someone a forced abortion. It's a confused, tone-deaf action for a character to take within the context of the show. "It's not real" isn't an argument someone over the age of 4 should be making to excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Story of the week is fun when guest characters like Timothy Olyphant are around.

When you got a partially mute alien, it's not so fun.

Anyone know when season 2 actually starts? :rolleyes:

There are 6 episodes to go and it feels like we've had the absolute bare minimum of story this season.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Again that felt like a filler episode, unless the frog woman is important for the rest of the series.

Episode 1 didn't do much for me, and this did less.

This is an episodic series...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Why didn’t mando just fly off out from the ice cave straight away after crashing, why wait till night time when his ship was capable of escaping? Dosnt make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Why didn’t mando just fly off out from the ice cave straight away after crashing, why wait till night time when his ship was capable of escaping? Dosnt make any sense

Well he did start to repair it until he had to go and rescue the frog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's a fair observation, insofar as it's a show that steers far away from the typical format of TV these days. It is what it is, and there's much to enjoy but the episodic quality is so aggressively applied it can be quite jarring each time one watches an episode. The "find the home planet" plot feels like a very thin framing device - it's surprising. When I'm in the mood for it it's refreshing, while other times I'm left wishing for ... just something more. More story. Bit more character.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And personally, I don't turn to 'Star Wars' universe for an intricate plot as, based on the films anyway, they're kinda poor. What the SW universe is better at (original trilogy anyway and bits of the others) is world building - the settings, fauna, its look and feel as well as some great action scenes and good character archetypes. It being episodic doesn't detract too much, especially as it's a weekly viewing (it might jar more if it was binge watched) and I enjoy sampling the SW universe each week, the most I have in thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked this episode better than last week's one, although two monster-of-the-week eps in a row has me wondering when they're going to further the overall story along. I hadn't an issue with the eggs being eaten as my understanding, possibly wrong, is they weren't alive and needed to be fertilised by Frog Man. The writers having them be one of the last of their kind was a bit of dark humour but I didn't mind. I was much more troubled last week with our hero nonchalantly treating a Bantha as a convenient bit of C4.

Thinking about it, there's a very formulaic pattern to this show: 1) establish the plot device Mando needs in the opening minutes. 2) Mando negotiates for said device and is told he must fulfil side-quest to obtain it. 3) Mando grudgingly accepts and winds up in peril battling some monster. 4) Mando defeats monster and fulfils side-quest. 5) Mando earns plot device as Baby Yoda coos or something. Rinse and repeat.

It's a nice, visually pleasing ride that passes the time but I do think it's very overhyped. Reminds me a bit of 90s adventure shows. Passes the time but pretty sure when it's over I'll have absolutely no desire to go back and watch it ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

People getting offended by a puppet eating non fertile frog eggs in a TV show is hilarious seeing as humans eat chicken eggs and thats okay? I do enjoy watching the show but I don't think it's as amazing as its made out to be. I like all the nods and easter eggs to different star wars characters,places etc. The childs facial expression when he was on the speeder was just to cute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

We may have seen the same lizard lady and insectoid already. These are from episode 5 of season 1.

JYYfnDE.png

NaBverp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

People getting upset over 'Baby Yoda' enjoying a delicacy?

Have you heard of.......?

red-and-black-caviar-on-silver-teaspoon-416x416.jpg

What Is Caviar? The Most Common Questions Answered

corkie wrote: »

Tx8syzgN1bi4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah, but it's generally accepted you don't eat the off spring of a sentient speaking being. Farm animals is one thing, the farmer is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

flazio wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's generally accepted you don't eat the off spring of a sentient speaking being. Farm animals is one thing, the farmer is another.
    They're unfertilised when he eats them so cannot be considered offspring even by the most fervent Opus Dei type.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

He's also a baby. Babies put things in their mouth and try to eat them. They're generally not thinking about the moral and ethical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Anyone who is critical of this show should go watch watch the mess that is Star Trek: Discovery!

But I think Mr.Nice.Guy has hit the nail on the head - these are so 90's TV with the satisfying mission accomplished / slow-mo jump in the air fist pump moments at the end (cue razorcrest theme music).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This entire conversation is so weird. I don't hate it, but I don't entirely get it either

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »

It's not the egg part that's the problem, it's that it's the caviar of people.
    ixoy wrote: »
    He's also a baby. Babies put things in their mouth and try to eat them. They're generally not thinking about the moral and ethical issues.

Again, there's nothing wrong with a tv show that features anyone eating anything. The problem is that this is Star Wars. I could conceive of an episode of something like Curb Your Enthusiasm where a baby eats a woman's eggs.
    They're unfertilised when he eats them so cannot be considered offspring even by the most fervent Opus Dei type.

I don't think anyone would find it normal if someone had a nice bowl of person eggs, or a glass of cum. Like there's tv shows where you can have that, but they're not Star Wars.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, having to explain why cannibalism is bad.

Advertisement