Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

But it's okay for them to show a kyrat dragon humans, sand people and banthas then you have plenty of scenes through out the films of murder,genocide and slavery. It's not exactly light and fluffy family watching

I'm willing to give the whole of season 2 a pass solely based on Timothy Olyphant as Space Marshall Raylan Givens. It's good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

@Gbear

Rediscovered tree frogs get their own genus, eat their own eggs

"They also observed their behavior, and found out that these frogs laid their eggs in the hollows of trees, where water collected. But these hollows don’t contain enough food for developing tadpoles, so how did they survive?

The mystery was solved when the scientists took a closer look at the tadpoles’ stomachs. In them, they found the remains of eggs. The researchers surmise the female frogs, being unusually attentive mothers for amphibians, were returning to the hollows to lay unfertilized eggs for their offspring to eat.

Egg-eating – called “oophagy” – isn’t unique these Indian tree frogs. Various frog species engage in oophagy, one of the many resourceful adaptations amphibians have evolved to survive in oft-harsh environments. Some tadpoles, like those of the spadefoot toad, even eat each other."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

corkie wrote: »
    Removed quoted text because it's hurting my eyes.

Cool. Not sure what that has to do with eating a sapient person's eggs though.
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    But it's okay for them to show a kyrat dragon humans, sand people and banthas then you have plenty of scenes through out the films of murder,genocide and slavery. It's not exactly light and fluffy family watching

Yes. Obviously. Killing monsters or animals is never a problem (although you're not going to see something as graphic as the butchering of the cow in Apocalypse Now in a Star Wars film).

In particular since the original trilogy, there's never much blood, gore or anything of the kind. Death in the abstract is common in kids shows. The Lion King, the Jungle Book, etc

This isn't The Boys.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gbear wrote: »
    Cool. Not sure what that has to do with eating a sapient person's eggs though.
    Unfertilised, no? We certainly don't know if everyone of those eggs would have led to anything.
    Yes. Obviously. Killing monsters or animals is never a problem (although you're not going to see something as graphic as the butchering of the cow in Apocalypse Now in a Star Wars film).
    But they shoot people all the time and blow up the innocent cleaners on the Death Star :D
    This isn't The Boys.
    Ah yeah, it's very like the gore and sex level of 'The Boys' these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

So far really enjoying it, season one was the best series of episodes of any show ive seen in a long time.

So far its been slower paced but im assuming its just building up and they've already called back to things that have happened earlier in the show. Really enjoying it, its a highlight to my weekends at the moment and that soundtrack is just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Female spider eat male spiders after they have no use for them anymore. It's part of nature. I do agree do a sentient species should not eat another santient species eggs even if unfertilised, but babies do not know that and as someone said earlier will eat anything they can put in there mouth or at least try.
    It's only a show.
    Next weeks episode should be interesting but I so far think the first season was better.
    That was on ok episode but nothing great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Gbear wrote: »
    That's a surprisingly stupid argument to make on a discussion forum.

I wasn't offended by baby Yoda eating the eggs, other than to the extent that I'm offended by bad writing. It's not a moral issue. It's a tone and internal consistency issue.

It'd be the same if they decided that Mr Mandalorian started drinking the blood of his enemies, or gave someone a forced abortion. It's a confused, tone-deaf action for a character to take within the context of the show. "It's not real" isn't an argument someone over the age of 4 should be making to excuse it.

It wasn't bad writing, it is completely consistent with season 1, where Baby Yoda eats a frog whole, and within this episode, where he cracked open the spider egg. It's a hungry baby that'll eat anything that is left around, especially things that we can presume his race would deem as prey.

You're fully entitled to not like the dark humour of it but don't feign it has some kind of consistency issue to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Enjoyed that episode as it pushed things on a bit more.

Was surprised at how short it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Great episode, relieved to see it back on track and the story progressing. Had to laugh at the end seeing the rubbish job the Mon Cal did of fixing Mando's ship :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Sparko

Really enjoyed the callbacks. Very excited for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Bo-Katan
    has aged well! Especially when you think back to the 1st appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know why
    the fishermen turned on Mando and the kid? Were they trying to steal his armour or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Anyone know why
    the fishermen turned on Mando and the kid? Were they trying to steal his armour or something?
    Yea, they said "The Beskar is ours"
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

It was wonderful to see Katee Sackhoff, in the flesh, playing the character she voiced in the Clone Wars. I hope they don't kill her off with the inevitable Moff Gideon showdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.3: Ah good episode! Great to see Katee Sackhoff in action again. I swear she reminded me of Sabine from Rebels when she came in with that landing.

Ahsoka Soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

really liked that episode

Starbuck! and Bosch!

Madalorian squad is Legit Boss !

Although I did get worried when he put Baby Yoda in the Frog house for babysitting that the whole Disney channel could get cancelled.

World is progressing nicely and the sub plot of Gus Fring versus Starbuck for the Dark Saber looks juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Had to watch it again. Always great to see a new world in this show. It felt real and lived in, which is the way it should be in Star Wars.

I hope we get to hear much more about Mandalore and what happened to it during the Empire era. Sounds like plenty went on that we need to know about.

That Imperial captain was one cool customer. Pity he wasn't in the Abrams trilogy, he would have done a far better job than the irritating Hux.

Some really cool shots in that episode, particularly that of the three mandos blasting skyward before the ship exploded with the background of the setting sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

After seeing Katee Sackhoff it makes me sad that Ashley Eckstein doesn't get a chance to play Ahsoka.

After seeing Katee Sackhoff it makes me sad that Ashley Eckstein doesn't get a chance to play Ahsoka.

Would imagine that’s it’s a significant reoccurring role to justify not casting her; could easily have gone with Eckstein if it’s going to be a 10 minute cameo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Knowing who the actress is that will be playing Ahsoka, i presume it is a significant role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It looks great but there really isn’t much substance , dialogue or character development .
    It think it be hard for non star wars heads to stay interested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought this was the weakest episode of the season. I was looking forward to a different type of episode on the sea but it very quickly descended again into another blast-fest on a spaceship. It followed the same old familiar formula but instead of a monster of the week, this time it gave us a villain. Watching this show, I feel like I'm watching someone playing a gaming walkthrough on Youtube: cutscene, protagonist enters new area, talk to new character to receive objective, pass flying mission, another cutscene, gain info and experience points plus customise ship. Move on to next level. I find it all very lazy. Best thing I can say about this episode is that it was a brief one this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Why is the weird space creature not pissed that yoda was eating her young? She was fairly passive about it.

Plus Mando must have a vitamin D deficiency by now, I'm worried about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if the episode was originally 45 mins but they cut out all the parts of yoda eating eggs after last week. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bowlardo wrote: »
    It looks great but there really isn’t much substance , dialogue or character development .
    It think it be hard for non star wars heads to stay interested in this

I enjoy it for what it is, but the license is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here IMO. Were this some new IP there'd be guaranteed to be more story or character; whereas here the SW world is fancy enough window dressing to carry the lack of actual narrative momentum. And that's fine like, not every show needs to be labyrinthine, but it's also very much a "small doses" kind of watch. A nice little nibble now and again without having much sustenance

I’m also enjoying this for it is, a live-action cartoon!! And at least there’s little risk of this goin the way of GoT!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was a fun episode. What happened to babys Yodas cot do. Is it feacked because the sea creature tried to eat it?
    Also I thought it strange that the pilot of the freighter would just crash it after getting it up as far as he did. I wonder will we see the Frog people again?
    Also did madonna kill that squid and Baby Yoda eat it? I wish he had a name.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Were this some new IP there'd be guaranteed to be more story or character; whereas here the SW world is fancy enough window dressing to carry the lack of actual narrative momentum. And that's fine like, not every show needs to be labyrinthine, but it's also very much a "small doses" kind of watch. A nice little nibble now and again without having much sustenance
    I dunno. Most of the popular TV shows (in terms of ratings), are procedural shows where there's not a huge amount spent on character developments or narrative arcs. 'The Mandalorian' can tap into this if it continues having enjoyable pieces like this. I mean, at least within the films, I don't really think Star Wars has ever bothered hugely with strong stories or characters. Maybe it's different within the animated series, which I've not yet seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I fully expected the child to gobble up all those eggs

Advertisement