Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Christiansen could act, but nobody could make those prequels scripts work, they were utter garbage. I suppose Christiansen got the brunt cos he was the least famous maybe, but Portman and McGregor were bloody awful too. People may mock the actor but it was the writer that put the words in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,289 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Christiansen could act, but nobody could make those prequels scripts work, they were utter garbage. I suppose Christiansen got the brunt cos he was the least famous maybe, but Portman and McGregor were bloody awful too. People may mock the actor but it was the writer that put the words in his mouth.

The lines are bad, but Christiansen couldn't deliver anything convincingly. He's a terrible actor. He's a pretty boy that the camera likes, but he couldn't act the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Even with the awful scripts and the direction he was given, Hayden's Anakin is still a very popular character among fans. Some would say he's their favourite character out of all the trilogies, particularly fans that grew up watching the prequels.

Some fans think Jar Jar Binks is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Relikk wrote: »
    Even with the awful scripts and the direction he was given, Hayden's Anakin is still a very popular character among fans. Some would say he's their favourite character out of all the trilogies, particularly fans that grew up watching the prequels.

Hayden can act.

But the wooden performances from McGregor and Portman lead me to believe the direction was p*ss poor.
    Couple that with the godawful dialog and filming everything in green screen.

I feel sorry for him, and the other lad who played young Anakin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    The lines are bad, but Christiansen couldn't deliver anything convincingly. He's a terrible actor. He's a pretty boy that the camera likes, but he couldn't act the maggot.

But nobody could deliver the lines; as I said all the Hollywood stars turned in utterly dreadful performances to a man and woman. Watch Sam Jackson, the guy was barely awake. The only actor who seemed to give the material a shot was Ian McDiarmaid, going full ham in Episode 3. Christopher Lee was on his "villain" autopilot. Everyone else was checked out and bored at best.

I'm not saying Christiansen is a loss to the art of acting, but he gets way too much flak for what was a universal set of shíte performances. Take the infamous "sand" monologue - nobody could have made that scene work, and who would have had the energy to even try?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hayden can act fine. He's not Oscar material but he's perfectly average. People seem to want to forget that actual multi-award winning actors like Natalie Portman and Samuel L Jackson also stunk up the prequels.

The script was bad, but the direction was even worse. A better director would've gotten infinitely better out of everyone concerned even with the hokey script.

And yes Hayden Christensen's Anakin is still very popular despite it all. To be honest I see him as more hard done by than having sinned, I'd be fine to see him back as Anakin/Darth Vader under a competent director.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For this week's episode,
    I was sure your man was gonna be killed. just seemed to be going the way of a character attempting to redeem himself so you get to like him and don't want him back in prison but he ends up dying instead of going back, usually by self sacrifice. And when he saw Mando's face I was even more sure. Well glad I was wrong.
    I expected Mando to be more confident, but I guess he feels vulnerable without the helmet. I do like how they've slowly enable him to remove the helmet in front of people. First we have Bo Katan and crew who explained to him that it's not a requirement to wear it all the time. then he met Boba Fett and didn't need it explained once he accepted the armour was his. So now he knows it's not against the Mandalorian code, but just against a certain group's code. And this and the talk with Mayfield made it easier to remove the helmet.
    Or that's my take.

Also got an answer to something I wasn't sure of. How does Boba Fett's ship work with regard piloting and cargo, etc since it goes from a horizontal position to vertical..

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How does Boba Fett's ship work with regard piloting and cargo, etc since it goes from a horizontal position to vertical..

The Incredible Cross Sections book might be of some help.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOBpJr9XsAAwRvy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It was cool having a southern accent empire officer/commander it’s always just been English actors ? And Bill burr was on fire.....

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    The Incredible Cross Sections book might be of some help.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOBpJr9XsAAwRvy.jpg

That says the cockpit rotates, but we saw Boba on his back like you would see astronauts before takeoff.

Was watching the concept art in the end credist and while most was similar to what we saw we didn't get
    the fight with Cara and Fennec against troopers

That says the cockpit rotates, but we saw Boba on his back like you would see astronauts before takeoff.

I noticed that as well. Probably to save time, but we do see the cockpit rotating from the inside when they all board the ship the first time after picking up Mayfield.

Yeah that part I noticed. I assumed they were in the hold somewhere. Would make sense for that area to rotate or managing cargo would be a real pain. Imagine strapping a heavy crate to the floor which then pretty much becomes a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The production on this show is incredible. I follow Discovery as well and this show makes it look like a fan made mess.

pixelburp wrote: »
    But nobody could deliver the lines; as I said all the Hollywood stars turned in utterly dreadful performances to a man and woman. Watch Sam Jackson, the guy was barely awake. The only actor who seemed to give the material a shot was Ian McDiarmaid, going full ham in Episode 3. Christopher Lee was on his "villain" autopilot. Everyone else was checked out and bored at best.

I'm not saying Christiansen is a loss to the art of acting, but he gets way too much flak for what was a universal set of shíte performances. Take the infamous "sand" monologue - nobody could have made that scene work, and who would have had the energy to even try?

It's not just the sand line though. It was every bleedin line. That takes some doing, even for Star Wars dialogue.

There's a reason he hasn't had much of a career after Star Wars and it's not the lines he had to say.

The production on this show is incredible. I follow Discovery as well and this show makes it look like a fan made mess.

Most of the effects have been top class.

There's a couple of entirely CGI scenes in the last episode and you really wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think that was the best episode across both seasons imo. Loved the reversal of Empire being heroes in one moment and all then the officer showing the depths they go to.

Also loved the joke about filling out TPS reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I really enjoyed that episode, nice to see the Boston accent has survived in the galaxy. A few good little jokes thrown into the mix. The episodes really don't feel as short as they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that episode, nice to see the Boston accent has survived in the galaxy. A few good little jokes thrown into the mix. The episodes really don't feel as short as they are

Yeah really liked that episode. Disagree on them not feeling short though, wish they were a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

AMKC wrote: »
    So will we see Grugo in the next episode at all I wonder?

Turns out we didn't. Or Grogu either...

• Advertisement

accensi0n wrote: »
    Yeah really liked that episode. Disagree on them not feeling short though, wish they were a bit longer.

Personally don't feel them that short but I do agree I would like them to be longer but I worry that there would be unnecessary filler in the episodes then

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

titan18 wrote: »

Also loved the joke about filling out TPS reports.

Is there any Office Space link cast/crew or was it just simply a joke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

Was that the night king in this one. Just saw on wiki it is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Boba didn't look to be in the same module as the rest of them.

Also, I'll ask again, why are people using spoiler tags when the title clearly states there's no need? It makes the thread very clunky on the touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Was that the night king in this one. Just saw on wiki it is

Apparently so.Richard Brake played the Night King in season 4 and 5 of GoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Season 3 will start streaming on Christmas Day 2021.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Apparently so.Richard Brake played the Night King in season 4 and 5 of GoT.

Thats where I know him from, I was trying to think what show I know him from

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Boba didn't look to be in the same module as the rest of them.

Also, I'll ask again, why are people using spoiler tags when the title clearly states there's no need? It makes the thread very clunky on the touch site.

I wasn't going to but there was a load of conversation about yesterday's announcements so didn't want someone to check the latest post for more info on the announcements only to be spoiled accidentally. I nearly clicked in myself before remembering the new episode was out.
    Besides it's just a case of clicking a button

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I wasn't going to but there was a load of conversation about yesterday's announcements so didn't want someone to check the latest post for more info on the announcements only to be spoiled accidentally. I nearly clicked in myself before remembering the new episode was out.
    Besides it's just a case of clicking a button

Yeah I don’t pop in here when a new episode has been released till I get to see it as I understand people want to talk about it but it is easy to forget and read something your not meant to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good episode. Ending was daft though. So much for the element of surprise.

'Hey Moff Gideon, you have something that belongs to me. He means more to me than you'll ever know.'

'Cool, thanks for telling me. Guess I'll request reinforcements be sent immediately and security put on high alert.'

Advertisement