Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So what are we anticipating tomorrow then? A big showdown between Moff G and his fancy sword and Mando and his magic javelin?

I'll be gutted unless theres a big scrap involving Moff G, Mando, Fett, Baby Yoda and Luke Skywalker while simultaneously a big space fight somehow involving the Falcon and Han Solo takes place. Another Death Star and hot women in gold bikinis wouldn't go amiss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

So what are we anticipating tomorrow then? A big showdown between Moff G and his fancy sword and Mando and his magic javelin?

I suspect we might see at least Bo-Katan back for an assault on Moff with possibly Ashoka too and maybe a Jedi we have not seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

the last time pedro pascal had a showdown with a javelin, it did not go well for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Relikk wrote: »
    That's the Rogue Squadron movie that will be directed by Patty Jenkins, and if it's Rogue Squadron then hopefully it's set during the original trilogy timeline.

It wont be.
    Rogue squadron is a name given to the group during OT.
    But they would be able to keep the name and use it whenever they want in the future. I would say based around films 7-9.
    Same as an army unit. year in year out, new names, new weapons, new enemies..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Nal wrote: »
    I'll be gutted unless theres a big scrap involving Moff G, Mando, Fett, Baby Yoda and Luke Skywalker while simultaneously a big space fight somehow involving the Falcon and Han Solo takes place.

Well, making the seemingly impossible happen 'somehow' doesn't seem to be a problem for the Star Wars scriptwriters, even if the actors might balk a bit.

b38.png

Star Wars has been reviving villains who previously died in pits or shafts, beginning with Darth Maul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Parsnips wrote: »
    It wont be.
    Rogue squadron is a name given to the group during OT.
    But they would be able to keep the name and use it whenever they want in the future. I would say based around films 7-9.
    Same as an army unit. year in year out, new names, new weapons, new enemies..

I didn't look at the announcements so I didn't know what Kennedy said about it, so it was speculation on my part, albeit valid speculation given the name of the movie and the apparent silhouette in the logo and appearance with the director of a T-65 X-Wing of the OT era, as opposed to the T-70 of the sequels.

I still think it'll take place closer to the OT timeline, as the books were set not long after the Battle of Endor and deal with the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant, and the director said she was taking some inspiration from the games and the books in a recent interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I didn't look at the announcements so I didn't know what Kennedy said about it, so it was speculation on my part, albeit valid speculation given the name of the movie and the apparent silhouette in the logo and appearance with the director of a T-65 X-Wing of the OT era, as opposed to the T-70 of the sequels.

I still think it'll take place closer to the OT timeline, as the books were set not long after the Battle of Endor and deal with the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant, and the director said she was taking some inspiration from the games and the books in a recent interview.

There seems to be some confusion about this and Disney have deliberately been very coy about saying when in the timeline this show is taking place. "New era" could suggest the future. But it also might just mean an era beyond the Skywalkers. Plus, as you say the equipment being used in the teaser is very much civil war materiel.

To me, the ONLY sensible place in the timeline to put this show is during the civil war, when you could focus on missions that an outfit of that type would be engaged in. Do it after and you have a boring show about traffic cops, like the two fat geezers we see in 'The Mandalorian'.

I suppose you could do it during that crappy First Order "war", that lasted all of 2 minutes. But doing it after and you run into the same problems as one does with a post civil war scenario.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. If it's civil war era, I'll watch. If it's that First Order nonsense, I'll probably just be meh about it, because none of that period makes a lick of sense.

I read the books years ago and loved them.
    DOnt get me wrong....I would love Disney to make the movies of the novels...
    I just highly doubt it.
    I really hope they dont try to attemp bringing Luke back in any way. Leave him be FFS. It would be cringe if they use that other lookalike lad ( cant remember his name)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jeremy Bulloch the original Boba Fett died aged 75 RIP.

Yep.
    By By Bo Ba

"I need him alive"

• Advertisement

Parsnips wrote: »
    It would be cringe if they use that other lookalike lad ( cant remember his name)

Sebastian Stan, I presume. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

WOW I screamed and I shouted and I can't keep the smile off my face. :D

Also a mid credit stinger with some old original characters.

A new series not named last week spinning from the stinger coming next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well holy bloody ****, this episode was amazing, in 40mins they did what the 3 new films couldnt.

As soon as you see that Xwing. I had the biggest smile on my face.

Star Wars done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That was a fantastic season finale. The right amount of Star Wars cheese.

I so want them to bin the sequels now and create a new future timeline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There was some immensely cool stuff in this episode, like the fight scenes with the dark saber etc. Just good, solid, pure Star Wars action. Lots of fun, and was the show at its entertaining, no-nonsense best,

Although have to say
    the de-aged Luke (cool build-up aside, the tech is just too weird and uncanny to me) and the whole ‘Book of Boba Fett’
    business came across to me as Disney’s Star Wars at its worst. Fan service, unnecessary spin offs (I assume spin-offs rather than a third season arc) and more ‘content’. Hopefully this show can get back to being a fairly self-contained thing rather than starting to get weighed down by extended universe gubbins.

They would have been better off going with Sebastian Stan than the de-ageing route. It doesn't look up to par still, even with the amount of time they've had to work on it since the end of filming. Watching in 4K you can see the flaws all too clearly.
    Clegg wrote: »
    The right amount of Star Wars cheese.

Meh. Luke was pushing it, but "maclunkey" was taking it too far. :pac: As big a Star Wars fan as I am, even I don't want this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Amazing!!! - so good that it makes me hate the sequel trilogy even more!

The launch tube was a nice homage to BSG, and poor auld fat Bib Fortuna!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It was cool seeing Luke show up but the limitations with what they can do with him is clearly visible. The dialogue and his mouth just don't sync right and they cutaway to avoid it looking off for most of it. I agree, it was an ideal position to put Sebastian Stan in, Mark Hamill had already giving his blessing, but then there was the story about how he had signed away for Disney to use his image so I figured it was one or the other. I'll admit it was exciting waiting for the reveal. Even if it was not perfect looking, it did give me tingles up my spine to see the character as we know and love him.

I just wish that what happens in the show with Jedi characters wasn't restricted by what happened in the sequels. What a mess.
    Has it been officially announced that Boba Fett is a spin off, or is it going to sidetrack season 3 of The Mandalorian? I heard rumours there was to be a 'spin off' long before the finale approached, and that it was already filming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

On the one hand I loved the ending , but what now ? we know what happens Luke , does that mean Grogu bites the bullet off screen somewhere because that would be awful , it's an awful pity that the sequel trilogy even exists now , can you imagine this was the 1st time we saw Luke since ROTJ

loved the series overall but I wonder will it suffer going forward without Grogu to the casual watcher and of course the bond he had with Mando

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

That was the best thing I've seen in a long time. So good.
    Hope they can clean up that CGI Luke a bit down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It was a special moment for me so the less than stellar CGI did not bother me. Kind of puts to rest though any hope for a Luke spin off.

Hopefully this is the start of quietly moving the last trilogy of films to its own verse. The thoughts of Ren offing Grogu is so tragic it's actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

Has it been officially announced that Boba Fett is a spin off, or is it going to sidetrack season 3 of The Mandalorian? I heard rumours there was to be a 'spin off' long before the finale approached, and that it was already filming.

There's a scene after the credits with Boba and Fennec Shand which confirms a Boba Fett series is coming in Dec 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There was some immensely cool stuff in this episode, like the fight scenes with the dark saber etc. Just good, solid, pure Star Wars action. Lots of fun, and was the show at its entertaining, no-nonsense best,

Although have to say
    the de-aged Luke (cool build-up aside, the tech is just too weird and uncanny to me) and the whole ‘Book of Boba Fett’
    business came across to me as Disney’s Star Wars at its worst. Fan service, unnecessary spin offs (I assume spin-offs rather than a third season arc) and more ‘content’. Hopefully this show can get back to being a fairly self-contained thing rather than starting to get weighed down by extended universe gubbins.

Couldn't agree more Johnny.

The
    Luke stuff shows VERY clearly that all of this clamouring for "de-aging" the OT heroes so they can appear in new Star Wars films is a truly bad idea. It simply is not there yet and won't be for some time to come.

Have to say, though, it was pretty great
    up until they showed his face.

Never been mad on Boba Fett returning
    and now he's getting a show of his own, or at least a "Mandalorian" story. That doesn't do anything for me at all. That whole post credits scene was a bit cringey TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Yeah the de aging didn’t work but the show had built up enough credit that i didn’t care. They really do need to scrap those sequels....”if it make sense finically they might ? Also nobody wants spin off shows with Rey, Finn etc.

I was assuming Ashoka was going to show up... then that green light saber !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really enjoyed that. Show has made me fall back in love with Star Wars again.

Thought they had the blend of action just right. Fights not too long and great action.

I thought the scene with Mando and the Child and taking helmet off was really emotional. It got me.

As for Luke it wasn't perfect but so what. Still great to see him and R2 there.

10/10 for me. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

draoicht wrote: »
    There's a scene after the credits with Boba and Fennec Shand which confirms a Boba Fett series is coming in Dec 2021

I saw that but I'd previously heard rumours that with no announcement of a Boba show by Disney last week, it was thought his story could sideline Mando's in season 3 for a while. It was already being filmed in place of Season 3 and no word on a start date for S3 filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just finished watching it there. Loved some parts, others not so much.

Parts l loved: the acknowledgement that a lot of contractors died when they blew up the Deathstar (II)

Parts I didn't: that they didn't get yer man Jeff Anderson from Clerks to point it out.

Parts I loved: the silence that decends on the cantina when Mando and Fett walk in . That Bo recognised Fetts voice from the Clone troopers.

Parts I didnt: Bo's dialogue was clunktastic as they strained to set up the take back Mandolore plot for season 3.

Parts I loved: Kara Thrace coming in for an emergency landing.

Parts I didn't: the comical incompetence of the stormtroopers. Someone needs to make a joke about it at some point. Have Bo say to Fett " Stormtroopers aims sure has gone to **** since they stopped your Dads DNA as a template Fett" as yet another ridiculously inaccurate blaster bolts flies harmlessly over their head.

Parts I loved : the rest of the episode from when Mando arrives on the bridge . Incoming ,How many life signs , Shand: none (grim expression). The X-Wing arriving , Cara : one X-wing , wow we're saved (sardonically). That familiar black Robe, That green lightsaber igniting , the fact that they intentionally made Luke less fluid then Ashoka as he isn't a classically trained jedi. That final Dark Trooper kill was straight up Vaderesque. Even knowing who was under the hood , it was still a thrill to see Luke. The deep fake wasn't perfect , especially when he talked , but overall it worked . Loved the scene of Mando taking off his helmet to say goodbye and grogu touching his face. Not afraid to say I had something in my eye. I would have loved if they had Luke Smile when he looked down at Grogu in silent acknowledgement that he looks like someone he used to know , but obviously there's only so much they can do with Deepfakes. If they plan on dropping in on Luke and Grogu's training next season i hope they can get Sebastian Stan for an episode, as deepfakes won't cut it in extended scenes of dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Holy sh1tballs that was good

Advertisement