Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

I saw that but I'd previously heard rumours that with no announcement of a Boba show by Disney last week, it was thought his story could sideline Mando's in season 3 for a while. It was already being filmed in place of Season 3 and no word on a start date for S3 filming.

With you now, yeah after seeing this episode, I was wondering how they would continue the Mandalorians story and if it was the end of it.

Now we could be looking at a new series set in the same timeline with other characters from The Mandalorian but without him in it or even in a reduced role.

Not sure Id be mad about that but will withhold judgement till it airs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

draoicht wrote: »
    With you now, yeah after seeing this episode, I was wondering how they would continue the Mandalorians story and if it was the end of it.

Now we could be looking at a new series set in the same timeline with other characters from The Mandalorian but without him in it or even in a reduced role.

Not sure Id be mad about that but will withhold judgement till it airs.

Further fuel to the fire of it being a subtitle for S3 on Newsweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

the fact that they intentionally made Luke less fluid then Ashoka as he isn't a classically trained jedi.

Certainly different from his aggressive fighting style in Empire and Jedi, and something I noticed straight away with not much enthusiasm because of that lack of continuity. His style looked a bit stiff with no force behind it, but that could stem from the possibility that the actor was swinging at nothing if those dark troopers were fully CGI. There was room for improvement, but it looked okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The range of emotions for that post credit were not right. From "yes!" to "****!" In the space of 40 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Well holy bloody ****, this episode was amazing, in 40mins they did what the 3 new films couldnt.

As soon as you see that Xwing. I had the biggest smile on my face.

Star Wars done right.

My sentiments exactly.
    40min that completely p!sses all over the last 3 movies.

Who the Fk is peeling onions in here.
    It just blew my socks off and turned me back into a 10year old.
    now im nearly off again typing this :)
    I cannot believe we got to see him again.
    Just WOW WOW WOW.
    And then on top of that . . .. the post credit scene. Christ on a bike.
    I think the expression is....."I jizzed in my pants"

A lot of negatives in some posts above,. I really cant believe it tbh.
    This hit me in every SW part of my being. I didnt want Luke in it either as stan or CGI.....but when I saw it ( far from perfect) . I was just ...Wah ...
    For people to find negatives and some to actually say it was poor is just sad.
    Fav & trapper....you have done it again. my hat is off ( and my tissue is out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I was assuming that post credit part was for season 3, since Din Djarin doesnt have Grogu anymore. I'm assuming he's going to do work for Boba maybe and the Mandalore story with Bo Katan happens.

I thought they said Mandalorian season 3 starts in December 21 too and The Book of Boba Fett was down for December 21 also. Be very odd for them to premiere 2 shows in the same month

titan18 wrote: »
    I was assuming that post credit part was for season 3, since Din Djarin doesnt have Grogu anymore. I'm assuming he's going to do work for Boba maybe and the Mandalore story with Bo Katan happens.

I thought they said Mandalorian season 3 starts in December 21 too and The Book of Boba Fett was down for December 21 also. Be very odd for them to premiere 2 shows in the same month

Boba has fulfilled his duty to Mando, and Mando now has the dilemma of being an unwanted leader of Mandalore when he wants to give Bo the Dark Sabre. So Mando has plenty of story to play out without Grogu. My curiosity with Boba is if he wants to become the head of the Tatooine crime syndicate that Jabba ran, or what is his intention taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm just gonna come out and say it. I was disappointed by that episode. It all felt very safe and by the numbers. They rolled through the ship with barely any issue at all. I had expected at least 1 casualty in the team. But nope. Everyone survived. Even the Luke bits were just very basic and by the numbers, albeit it was great to see him actually kick ass properly, unlike a certain other version of the character. And I thought the post credits things was interesting to start with but ultimately left me feeling very meh. Very little of it had the punch or weight it could have had and just ended up feeling a bit shallow or something.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm just gonna come out and say it. I was disappointed by that episode.

The direction was pretty bland to be fair. I'd loved to have seen it with a better action director, and one who could have tipped the emotional scales further during the goodbye scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Boba has fulfilled his duty to Mando, and Mando now has the dilemma of being an unwanted leader of Mandalore when he wants to give Bo the Dark Sabre. So Mando has plenty of story to play out without Grogu. My curiosity with Boba is if he wants to become the head of the Tatooine crime syndicate that Jabba ran, or what is his intention taking over.

You also have the issue between Boba and Bo-Katan and the other one, so I'd be assuming that would play a part in am overall Mandalore story. Maybe Boba giving Din missions to do for the story of the week episodes as he figures out what to with Bo-Katan and Mandalore.

• Advertisement

I'm just gonna come out and say it. I was disappointed by that episode. It all felt very safe and by the numbers. They rolled through the ship with barely any issue at all. I had expected at least 1 casualty in the team. But nope. Everyone survived. Even the Luke bits were just very basic and by the numbers, albeit it was great to see him actually kick ass properly, unlike a certain other version of the character. And I thought the post credits things was interesting to start with but ultimately left me feeling very meh. Very little of it had the punch or weight it could have had and just ended up feeling a bit shallow or something.

Christ I hate trolls.
    you guys have no SW heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Parsnips wrote: »
    Christ I hate trolls.

It's a bit of a stretch classing that as trolling. I can see where they're coming from. The duel between Din Djarin and Moff Gideon was the only thing I thought that was done as well as it could have been, so I agree with some of the previous posts about the direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Christ I hate trolls.

Must be too used to the GoT mantra of "let's stack the odds against the heroes to ludicrous levels."

How anyone can come away from that complaining about inadequacies is beyond me.
    you must go true life finding flaws in everything

the episode was absolutley chock full of action and super emotional stuff.
    When that XWing flew up I was shouting .. Nah Nah it cant be. what a moment.
    it had its flaws yes but for the love of the force let me have my good Feels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Keep it friendly folks. Do not accuse others of trolling for having a different reaction to an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I assume that’s not the last we have seen you f Luke Skywalker.... the sequels mostly squandered him....the fans want to see him kicking ass not mediating/disappearing

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When Luke returned and then we saw Jabba Palace I really really though Mara Jade is going to debut.

If you bothered to look at my posting history you'd see I tend to be pretty positive in the main. I loved a number of episodes this season, and have gotten excited in ways I dont normally do for other shows or movies. I think its incredibly childish to label a different opinion trolling. There really is no need for it. I was disappointed by that episode, you weren't. Hey guess what, we're each individuals. I'm not trying to rob you of your "good feels". I shouldn't be able to anyway as I'm just another random punter whose opinion should really be irrelevant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They rolled through the ship with barely any issue at all.

In the first movie, a teenage boy, a very small teenage girl, a very old man, two robots, a big loud bear and a smuggler with a small gun managed to infiltrate the most secure and remote location in the universe despite some fairly heavy enemy presence.

In another movie, a load of small tubby bears managed to defeat hundreds of armoured troops and heavy army machinery with ropes and rocks with minimum casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Excellent episode, really enjoyed that

This is great television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Nal wrote: »
    In the first movie, a teenage boy, a very small teenage girl, a very old man, two robots, a big loud bear and a smuggler with a small gun managed to infiltrate the most secure and remote location in the universe despite some fairly heavy enemy presence.

Yeh, but they didn't go around blasting everyone in sight and drawing attention to themselves. ;)
    In another movie, a load of small tubby bears managed to defeat hundreds of armoured troops and heavy army machinery with ropes and rocks with minimum casualties.

That was the beginning of useless Stormtrooper trope. It was crap then and it's crap now.

BTW, we have no idea what the casualty list was for the teddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Your a gas man Parsnips. I've got whiplash just reading that .

"How anyone can come away from that complaining about inadequacies is beyond me."

"it had its flaws yes"

And Lukes old friend died in the trench run along with most other pilots, Obi Wan died fighting Vader, numerous large starship got blown up and a good few ewoks got killed. In the majority of battles there were losses that made the conflict feel like there was something real at stake.

I get the point you're making of course, but for me in this episode they just marched through their enemies without a care and there was no threat to them or anyone else No risk. It made a lot of it feel quite flat for me. The fight with the Dark Trooper and the fight with Gideon were both well done. But that was about it. Yeah, the main cast in Star Wars certainly had invincibility cloaks for a lot of it. But there were almost always casualties or real risk involved. Be it to themselves or others. Also, the tone of Mandalorian is quite different to the movies too.

EDIT: I should mention that I thought they nailed the story. I did have that "no way, it couldn't be Luke, could it" moment when I saw the X-Wing. I wouldn't change much about the story itself. Maybe have someone get injured, include the male Mando who was working with Bo to be a "red shirt" and add some gravity, but not a whole lot else. It was the execution of it that I was disappointed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, but they didn't go around blasting everyone in sight and drawing attention to themselves. ;)

That was the beginning of useless Stormtrooper trope. It was crap then and it's crap now.

BTW, we have no idea what the casualty list was for the teddies.
    After the initial ambush they were getting a bit of a pasting until Chewie did his Tarzan act. I think we saw one glider shot down and then stepped on by an AT-ST and a few other kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t know where the last ten minutes of today’s episode ranks in the Star Wars lore but for me it’s certainly up there in my opinion. When I saw the lightsaber I got excited and baby yoda putting his hand on the screen was great. Also, Sasha banks was clearly kayfabing about her being in only one episode and now she has serious pull within Disney and wwe know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Parts I didn't: the comical incompetence of the stormtroopers. Someone needs to make a joke about it at some point. Have Bo say to Fett " Stormtroopers aims sure has gone to **** since they stopped your Dads DNA as a template Fett" as yet another ridiculously inaccurate blaster bolts flies harmlessly over their head.

They made multiple jokes about it in season 1. They even did a scene where 2 troopers are trying to shoot a can on the ground and can't hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had to go back and watch the end of that episode.....I would never watch a show to the end of the credits.

Interesting. Can someone explain why the woman (Sorry don't know her name, I don't watch the cartoon) accompanied Fett to Jabbas Palace?

And how do they explain Fett piling the weight on in the 6 yrs since he was very slim in ROTJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Watched that with my young daughter and cried my eyes out at the end. Lovely stuff.

I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed that, uncanny valley Luke aside (I really enjoyed the character’s appearance, that tech is still a bit away from being perfected). Watching Luke slice through the dark troopers, it just brought a massive smile to my face, I felt giddy, and I felt like I was a young kid again, watching Star Wars for the first time.

And that’s what it’s all about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tony EH wrote: »
    Never been mad on Boba Fett returning
    and now he's getting a show of his own, or at least a "Mandalorian" story. That doesn't do anything for me at all. That whole post credits scene was a bit cringey TBH.

Yeah I really enjoy the show as a sort of weekly, old-fashioned serial that are one and done stories with only the lightest of overarching plot lines.

Now there’s a sense they’re introducing characters to cue up spin-offs and ‘brand extensions’. Two-three spin-offs from an eight episode series of TV is insane. It just undermines what’s otherwise a fine Star Wars show that does what it says on the tin without fuss or nonsense. Nothing wrong with cameos from existing characters now and again in theory, but they’re quadrupling down on spin-off content already to the point of making me very wary about their overall intentions.

It’s not surprising, but can easily see Disney torching the genuine goodwill built up by this series with overexposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

NIMAN wrote: »

And how do they explain Fett piling the weight on in the 6 yrs since he was very slim in ROTJ?

Never mind six years, you should see the weight I piled on in the first six months of Covid. it happens so quickly as one gets older, believe me :D

Advertisement