Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great episode I thought.
    And there's clearly someone at Disney who has their priorities straight or Favreau and Filoni have good standing with them.
    The reason I say that is they had the introduction of a great merchandising/toy opportunity (The Child) in the pilot episode but they weren't really able to cash in on it in time for Christmas due to wanting to avoid spoilers. And then at last week's investor call, no mention of the Book of Boba and just saying Mandalorian season 3. I know that would be enough in itself, but the fact they didn't elaborate means they didn't want to spoil anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

NIMAN wrote: »

Interesting. Can someone explain why the woman (Sorry don't know her name, I don't watch the cartoon) accompanied Fett to Jabbas Palace?

Fett saved her life so she's in debt to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Is anyone else afraid that after the final episode they won’t be able to stop crying until season 3 begins ?

I called it !!! I demand the dark saber !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

So season 3 is Mando finding out who kidnapped him as a kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Your a gas man Parsnips. I've got whiplash just reading that .

"How anyone can come away from that complaining about inadequacies is beyond me."

"it had its flaws yes"

I see your point :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It was the complaining I was compaining about :P:P
    anyway.. it was bloody brilliant.
    I loved Fetts, Conan the Barbarian impression at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I enjoyed that immensely. De-aged Luke is light years ahead of Leia in Rogue One.

Major Terminator vibes from the Darktroopers. They gave me a genuine, ominous sense of "Oh sh*t".

It'll be interesting to see where they go with the Din/Bo Katan/Dark Sabre arc next season.

I can't believe it's over already, tbh. Seemed SO much shorter than S1. Hopefully they throw us an S2 Gallery series to keep us going.
    So season 3 is Mando finding out who kidnapped him as a kid?

He wasn't kidnapped, he was rescued from a raid, no?

Season 3 won’t be the same without Growguts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Dial Hard wrote: »

He wasn't kidnapped, he was rescued from a raid, no?
    oh right thats what it appeared

sorry kinda already leaped in my head to end of third season revelation. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Season 3 won’t be the same without Growguts.

Either they'll still follow his journey and Mando's separately....or they'll just introduce a new gimmick to make people go gaga. ;)

Can't see Disney allowing Grogu to quietly exit stage left. Kid is a merchandise machine for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I honest thought my brain couldn't handle the level of excitement when I seen that x wing and grogus ears peaking up. I won't lie when I seen that green lightsaber the level of excitement that came over me was embarrassing for a 28 year old man, reminded me when I was about 8 seeing Darth Mauls double bladed lightsaber for the first time and it absolutely blew my mind. Overall I think season two has been fantastic, an improvement on season one. That final episode had its faults here and there but I can't complain as I loved it. Mando and Grogu separating pulled on the heart strings a bit

• Advertisement

Mando taking his helmet off to say goodbye to Grogu, Luke holding him thinking of his mentor and R2D2 having the craic with him.......these are iconic moments in the entire series to me. Blows anything the latest trilogy did and most of what the prequel trilogy did out of the water.

So lucky to have this show

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I honest thought my brain couldn't handle the level of excitement when I seen that x wing and grogus ears peaking up. I won't lie when I seen that green lightsaber the level of excitement that came over me was embarrassing for a 28 year old man, reminded me when I was about 8 seeing Darth Mauls double bladed lightsaber for the first time and it absolutely blew my mind. Overall I think season two has been fantastic, an improvement on season one. That final episode had its faults here and there but I can't complain as I loved it. Mando and Grogu separating pulled on the heart strings a bit

Believe me your not alone. I will just say Im "slightly" older than you and Im glad there was nobody else in the house at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I so want them to bin the sequels now and create a new future timeline.

Favreau and Filoni more than deserve to be given a film trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Mimon wrote: »
    Favreau and Filoni more than deserve to be given a film trilogy.

Perhaps set after the original trilogy, before the new trilogy.

Luke and baby Yoda's adventures

Please stop with the spoiler tags in this because you can’t read them in safari and the title says spoilers already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I view the technical problems with Luke in the same way as the shark in Jaws. It may not look realistic but if everything else in the story is firing on all cylinders, I can forgive some dodgy effects. This is especially true with Luke as it was just a brief cameo appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Just want to echo what a lot here are saying but:

X Wing arrives! Green lightsaber! Absolute flashback goosebumps to being in cinema 40 years ago.

I can't believe they got away with bringing back Luke - young, original series (almost scene destroying cgi) Luke. IMO it had to be done that way, if it had been a different face to Luke, there would have had to have been a context destroying face reveal, unrecognised confusion, some sort of fill in dialogue 'Hi, you may not recognise me but I'm Luke Skywalker...honest!'

Edit: juat to add my amazement that this was kept secret, no leaks. There was chat that there was going to be a big reveal at season end, and it was fairly set up for a Jedi to rescue Grogu, but they kept it would be Luke secret very well. Instead a lot of rumours of another Clone Wars favourite...... Still leads to a question of what happened to Grogu after Luke takes him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Couldn't they have just asked Mark Hamil to shave and then do a bit of make up work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

flazio wrote: »
    Couldn't they have just asked Mark Hamil to shave and then do a bit of make up work?

I thought it was very dodgy CGI. The rigid movements and the lifeless eyes.

They de-aged Robert Downey very successfully in Iron Man, and had a decent stab at Leia in Rogue One.

Honestly, it was on par with the work the Corridor Crew did on Dwayne Johnson in the Scorpion King , and that was for a YouTube video.
    I thought the result would have been better.

EDIT: It was Mark Hamill playing Luke, I think.

I assume Disney will improve Luke cgi as the technology improves...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder has Harrison Ford signed away his imagine rights for de-aging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I mean, it is possible. Look at Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel.

I wonder has Harrison Ford signed away his imagine rights for de-aging.

Would be getting into murky territory. Use Ford and they'd have to resurrect Fisher.

Hoping they just did this aware of the crap CGI just so they could give Grogu his fitting exit. I didn't mind the Luke CGI here but I hope that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    It was Mark Hamill playing Luke, I think.

Someone else played the physical part. It was his voice, modulated to sound like he did in the OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I enjoyed the episode generally (workmanlike direction though). Also I think it might have been the weakest episode of the season, and doesn't hold a candle to season 1's final episode or 'boss' fight.

I thought it was an okay ending, and am glad the Grogu story is off the table (for now), but I must echo the reservations others have here, in that Disney will fall into Marvel-like storytelling with needless spin-offs.

Mando is the star of the show, and I prefer the story of the week structure.

Considering one of the strengths of this is how amazingly beautiful everything looks, I can't believe they signed off on how Luke looked. Unbelievably bad.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

Relikk wrote: »
    Someone else played the physical part. It was his voice, modulated to sound like he did in the OT.

It has the same un-real look as Leia in Rogue One... Like they did a fully CGI face. When you see some of the deepfakes going around YouTube, it's a bit disappointing that with their budget they can get something a bit more realistic done.

For example: https://youtu.be/bC3uH4Xw4Xo

Aside from that, heartbreaking goodbye between Grogu and Din... They've really done a great job building that relationship. And getting to see Luke in action was so satisfying. I don't care if that's driven by childhood nostalgia, it put a huge smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Patser wrote: »
    it was fairly set up for a Jewish to rescue Grogu

Surely should have been this guy so?:P

76741f2f2e7a8f5796cd7ef8056f090a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The Viper Lives on, great to see a little Homage to his character from GoT. Fantastic Television

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So someone clearly wearing a massive lump of rubber on their head and painted some wierd colour is fine, or if that mask wearing person suddenly starts hopping off the ceiling like a frog then that's OK as well. We're able to suspend our belief for those moments and just get lost in the story we're being told.

But a cgi human character is a big no and its not possible to ignore the fact that the original actor who played the part is now 40+ years too old, or dead, and that ruins the belief in the fantasy about some laser sword wielding magicians in space?

Loved today's episode, sad about Grogu going off on a separate adventure now, which we'll probably not see. Mando will need another cute sidekick now for series 3 in order to fund things from the sale of toys. Extra end of credits ending was a good teaser too. Lots of new series in the pipeline.

Advertisement