Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That wraps the season. Looking forward to the next one.

2.8: That was a decent enough battle for control of the Imperial Cruiser. I really like the touches of the tech resembling Episode IV tech so much. Those dark troopers reminded me of Terminator.. like A WHOLE PLATOON of Terminator. The fight with the Dark Sabre really got across why Beskar is so valued.

Then, then that ending. Lukes arrival and taking out the troops was done well. Then though, then the emotional bit saying goodbye to Grogu. In a way that was so much like Anakin leaving his mother. Don't recall seeing Grogu in any future timed shows before so that's a bit ominous.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Wow, late night watching in the dark is not good for the emotions, so many tears when he took off the helmet. Something about the very last bit though, made me think the next season will have jumped a good bit in time and Mando will have a reason to hook back up with his sidekick.

In relation to Luke, yeah, the quality of his appearance was a bit below par, but easy to get over. I suppose I consider it a little surprising as Favreau appears to have high standards when it comes to CGI etc. It may have worked if the character was a little more animated or the voice was in sync. While some may not agree, I felt Grand Moff Tarkin in Rouge One to be a good example, so you only expect things to get better as time progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I just think less is more with these things. We don't actually need to see his face, any more than we needed to see Leia or Tarkin's in Rogue One. We know who it is when the X-Wing arrives. We certainly know who it is with the green saber. Have him keep his hood up and avoid any issues, or only show him in silhouette. Mostly these decisions just puzzle me. It's like how to a hammer everything looks like a nail. It's like they don't know how to look beyond CGI to solve the problem. If they didn't have that crutch they'd have done a better job by just working around it.

The core of the scene wasn't (or shouldn't have been) "does anyone remember LUKE SKYWALKER!!!!!11!!. It was about the Child and the Mandalorian.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Parsnips wrote: »
    Believe me your not alone. I will just say Im "slightly" older than you and Im glad there was nobody else in the house at the time.

Same here I'm 48 and I found myself nearly jumping out of the chair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Luke has always been my favourite character, so I had a massive smile on my face for that whole sequence.

The lone X-Wing - Could it be?

The silhouette.

The green light saber.

Right hand with black glove.

Left hand with no glove. - This is when I got emotional.

Then he starts using the same moves as Anakin, including the over the should blaster deflect. - He is a Jedi, like his father before him.

The face reveal had some not quite there CGI, but I didn't care at that point.

Loved how all these badass characters were scared to open the door. The Jedi were essentially myths in the outer rim, but seeing just one in action, they knew they stood no chance.

Jon Favreau has saved Star Wars.

Will be happy for Sebastian Stan to take over the role, but this one needed to look like Mark Hamill.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    So someone clearly wearing a massive lump of rubber on their head and painted some wierd colour is fine, or if that mask wearing person suddenly starts hopping off the ceiling like a frog then that's OK as well. We're able to suspend our belief for those moments and just get lost in the story we're being told.

But a cgi human character is a big no and its not possible to ignore the fact that the original actor who played the part is now 40+ years too old, or dead, and that ruins the belief in the fantasy about some laser sword wielding magicians in space?

Yes exactly. Uncanny valley is something to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Just thinking, the big thing of Mando taking off his helmet to say goodbye to Grogu, is a little ruined by the fact he took off his helmet in the last episode....

Would have been a whole extra level of emotion if it was 1st time this season we saw his face

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Season 3 won’t be the same without Growguts.

They're bringing Jar Jar back for season 3 instead. "Lookie lookie, ex-squeeze me, mesa ya new Grogu, mesa no like Moff Gideon, dis is nutsen"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've really enjoyed this series. I thought the ending really well done. The Luke CGI certainly didn't mar my enjoyment of it anyway. Looking forward to more of the TV stuff(I found the recent movies other than Rogue One hard to wade through).
    Luke has always been my favourite character, so I had a massive smile on my face for that whole sequence.
    Funny C, looking back when I was a kid when Star Wars first came out and we all got pulled into it Luke was way down of me and my friends fave list. Han Solo topped that poll, even Ben was ahead. Luke in the first flic was so, well wishy washy and out of the game really. He was more like an audience substitute. He gets his arse kicked throughout and needs pretty much everyone else to save him and even in his greatest triumph of blowing up the death star he needed Ben and the two boyos in the Falcon. He was pretty much lacklustre in the second flic too and again needed lots of help and got his arse kicked by his da. He really only became "Luke" in the third outing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't understand how a cheap enough South Park spin-off can do a deep fake so well (look at Tom Cruise), whereas Mandalorian with it's deep pockets fall so short.

Anyway, fantastic show altogether if not a bit simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Loved today's episode, sad about Grogu going off on a separate adventure now, which we'll probably not see. Mando will need another cute sidekick now for series 3.

The plot will surely have to be tied in to the broader story of what happens between ROTJ and the sequel trilogy though. It can't be just Mando roaming the galaxy sorting about individual problems in each episode. It would be a natural development of that storyline for Grogu to come back into it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mando taking his helmet off to say goodbye to Grogu, Luke holding him thinking of his mentor and R2D2 having the craic with him.......these are iconic moments in the entire series to me. Blows anything the latest trilogy did and most of what the prequel trilogy did out of the water.

So lucky to have this show
    I view the technical problems with Luke in the same way as the shark in Jaws. It may not look realistic but if everything else in the story is firing on all cylinders, I can forgive some dodgy effects. This is especially true with Luke as it was just a brief cameo appearance.

This is it for me, that scene was so emotional because Mando was saying goodbye to Grogu. Luke being the one taking him added weight to the moment but it didn’t define it. I was gutted for Mando and when he took his mask off you already knew his heart was breaking.

I’m so happy I watched this with my children. We were all like kids when we saw the green light sabre. And then the glove. This was handled so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone saying about Grogu not being in the films or other material set later on, remember Ahsoka was in Clone Wars and people were thinking she had to be killed off but she was still around for Rebels, post Episode 3 and now she's around post Episode 6.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So someone clearly wearing a massive lump of rubber on their head and painted some wierd colour is fine, or if that mask wearing person suddenly starts hopping off the ceiling like a frog then that's OK as well. We're able to suspend our belief for those moments and just get lost in the story we're being told.

But a cgi human character is a big no and its not possible to ignore the fact that the original actor who played the part is now 40+ years too old, or dead, and that ruins the belief in the fantasy about some laser sword wielding magicians in space?

There is actually a stark difference between the two, because of the uncanny valley effect.

When we as humans see a clearly fantastical creature on screen, we know intuitively that it cannot be real and are more willing to accept it.

Whereas when we see a CG human, no matter how good, our brain sort of rejects it. We know it’s not possible, but we’re less willing to accept it.

Speaking personally, I know when a de-aged human shows up in whatever it may be I’m immediately distracted and looking for the seams, which are always there. This is no insult to the teams that manage to pull of what are objectively incredible technical feats - but it does pull me immediately out of the story in a way your standard rubber suit alien will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There is actually a stark difference between the two, because of the uncanny valley effect.

When we as humans see a clearly fantastical creature on screen, we know intuitively that it cannot be real and are more willing to accept it.

Whereas when we see a CG human, no matter how good, our brain sort of rejects it. We know it’s not possible, but we’re less willing to accept it.

Speaking personally, I know when a de-aged human shows up in whatever it may be I’m immediately distracted and looking for the seams, which are always there. This is no insult to the teams that manage to pull of what are objectively incredible technical feats - but it does pull me immediately out of the story in a way your standard rubber suit alien will not.

I agree to a degree but in a weird way, Jeff Bridges de-aging in Tron worked for me. Maybe its because it was literally set in a computer generated world I didn't find his appearance that jarring.

Whereas in Rogue One and even with Luke here, it was difficult to not sort of have that sneaky jolt of doubt. But I let excitement over ride any doubts.

The more I think about this last episode, the more it really does feel like Disney might be finally getting it. I gave the recent movies the benefit of the doubt, they weren't horrible, but none of them had the heart and soul that Mando has recreated and to be honest this show has now exposed what alot of fans have complained about , the movies were poorly done and had no soul or characters to care for other then the original ones. They need to leave the project in the hands of people who respect it.

I tell you what aswell, I would worry for Cinema as TV shows is where things are going. Avengers and SWs are the two major money spinners for cinemas the last decade, both are trying to make shows for their network channels and even DC now are doing the same. I really hope this is not the beginning of the end for cinema, cause I cant see any bigger threat then the rise of tv streaming services.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I don't understand how a cheap enough South Park spin-off can do a deep fake so well (look at Tom Cruise), whereas Mandalorian with it's deep pockets fall so short.

Anyway, fantastic show altogether if not a bit simple.

its the age of the material they are using

its the age of the material they are using

I was thinking that. They're working off footage from the 70's. Well if the end result is terrible, go a different route. Use a lookalike actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

The first few shots of the CGI Luke are not that bad on second look even though there is an unnatural softness to it, it's only after R2 appears and he looks down at R2, and then Grogu, is when it starts to look really ropey. It's like the superimposition of the CGI is floating on top of the stand-in actors face.

That "He is strong with the force, but talent without training is nothing" line, though. Ouch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Relikk wrote: »
    The first few shots of the CGI Luke are not that bad on second look even though there is an unnatural softness to it, it's only after R2 appears and he looks down at R2, and then Grogu, is when it starts to look really ropey. It's like the superimposition of the CGI is floating on top of the stand-in actors face.

That "He is strong with the force, but talent without training is nothing" line, though. Ouch. :pac:

Give it a a year or two and they will re do it, like they deleted that extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

*Waves hand*
    There was no extra.

To be honest, bad effects or not, it was brilliant so they could've used a puppet Luke and I would've been happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

NIMAN wrote: »
    And how do they explain Fett piling the weight on in the 6 yrs since he was very slim in ROTJ?

He was stuffing himself in the Sarrlacc, until she finally kicked him out.

I view the technical problems with Luke in the same way as the shark in Jaws. It may not look realistic but if everything else in the story is firing on all cylinders, I can forgive some dodgy effects. This is especially true with Luke as it was just a brief cameo appearance.

The problem with that is that Bruce is the only special effect in 'Jaws', so he stands alone.

The Bad Luke effect in 'The Mandalorian' stands out in a sea of generally excellent CGI effects that litter the show and he looks all the more (Mc)clunky because of it.

Some people like to beat down on Bruce, but I find it a triumph of mechanical effects, despite his cantankerous nature on set. He still impresses me to this day as well, for the most part anyway. There are a couple of scenes here and there where Spielberg over played his hand and when compared to a real Great White, Bruce looks...um...odd, but he still has the power to send a chill up my spine. He's not as streamlined and as...beautiful? as the real thing. But he's convincing enough.

He's MORE convincing when he isn't shown in his entirety and therein lies the key to a successful effect. This is where the Star Wars CGI stand ins are falling over. In 'Rogue One' Tarkin looked great till he didn't, because they showed him too much. Leia should have just been an actress and shot in her iconic white robe, without seeing her face and Luke in 'The Mandalorian' was great until he pulled the hood down and blew the moment.

The VFX artists did what they could, trying to match up old footage and pasting it onto another actors face. But the end result was very poor indeed and we have to just be honest about that, even if the scene itself was great.

flazio wrote: »
    I mean, it is possible. Look at Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel.

I thought that looked terrible myself. His hair looked like Velcro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I've seen some criticism in reviews of this show being fan service, all I can say is that such a take is incredibly disingenuous and cynical.

Strip everything away and what you have is simple, effective storytelling that is exceedingly entertaining. Why is that such a bad thing for some people just because they're sore over the criticism of the latest films?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For some reason Luke's hair looked more cgi than his face to me. Either way, I do wish they'd gone with Sebastian Stan or similar rather than the cgi. Given that a few years have passed between ROTJ and this show it wouldn't be unreasonable that he'd look slightly different.

Regardless, it was fantastic. As great as Luke fighting the dark troopers was though, I felt they cut away from it too much. A shorter continuous scene like the Vader fight in Rogue One would have been amazing and shown a great symmetry between Luke and Anakin.

A Boba Fett spinoff could be great, but it depends what they plan on doing with the character as it could just become very similar to Mando's bounty hunting stories. Either way, more Ming-Na Wen is never a bad thing, always loved her in Agents of Shield.

I'm also kinda glad they're taking the story in a new direction without Grogu for a while at least. They really ran the risk of over-doing it if they went another season with him.

Who is Sebastian Stan? Has he played Luke before? Can't see much on google about it

I wish people would stop trying to push this Stan guy as a (somehow) Mark Hamill replacement. He doesn't look that much like him and he sounds like him even less.

It still wouldn't eliminate the essential problem that, whether it's CGI or an actor switcheroo, it ain't Mark Hamill.

While it's somewhat forgiveable to have (a bad CGI) Luke Skywalker turn up and complete the Grow Goo story, it's really beyond time that Star Wars moved beyond trying to hook everything on the OT characters. They had their time and it's long over.

Who is Sebastian Stan? Has he played Luke before? Can't see much on google about it

Sebastian Stan is the Winter Soldier in the MCU.

In regards using him here, I think CGIing Luke was much more effective than using a new actor. By doing this it pretty much confirms that any hope for a Luke series is dead, so they were right to go with the pay off of using a de-aged Hamill. It really was a special moment that might not have been near as special had they used a new actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They gave us Baby Yoda only to know now that he will be murdered by Emo Kylo Ren that's so disappointing really.

No point in wasting money on buying Baby Yoda merch now that he will end up being murdered.

• Advertisement

They gave us Baby Yoda only to know now that he will be murdered by Emo Kylo Ren that's so disappointing really.

No point in wasting money on buying Baby Yoda merch now that he will end up being murdered.

Well I question that now. The shills on YouTube have been speculating for awhile that the Ren/Rey trilogy is going to be decanoned, this might be the start of it.

Advertisement