Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Boba Fett Series Confirmed as a Mandalorian Spinoff; Pedro Pascal Will Be Back as Mando for Season 3
    Jon Favreau has closed the book on speculation about the Boba Fett series that was teased at the end of The Mandalorian‘s Season 2 finale, confirming that it is a standalone spinoff.

“This is actually separate from The Mandalorian Season 3,” the EP shared Monday on Good Morning America.

The Book of Boba Fett, as it is titled, is already filming, “and then we go into production after that with Season 3 of The Mandalorian, with the main character we know and love (played by Pedro Pascal).”

The Book of Boba Fett, which will be set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, was held back from the many other series announcements made at Disney Investor day, Favreau said, because “we didn’t want to spoil the surprise.” And indeed, ever since The Mandalorian’s Season 2 finale came to a close, Disney+ had been 100-percent mum on what The Book of Boba Fett is and isn’t....

https://tvline.com/2020/12/21/the-book-of-boba-fett-mandalorian-spinoff-series-december-2021/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think Mandolorain should be better again its the age of the material they are using thats that problem it makes it look blurry within the face.
    The original Star Wars flics were shot in 35mm and unless out of focus in the camera on the day that format provides plenty of resolution. 35mm film stock is roughly equal to 4K.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wibbs wrote: »
    The original Star Wars flics were shot in 35mm and unless out of focus in the camera on the day that format provides plenty of resolution. 35mm film stock is roughly equal to 4K.
    its still film from over 40 years ago, don't tell me you can't tell the difference between that and film shot 5 years ago, blame the cameras if you want.

Jon Favreau on Good Morning America this morning talking about the finale.

Even Jon is calling him Baby Yoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Though there were faults that was a really enjoyable season finale.

The send off for Grogu definitely hit me and it was really earned over the two seasons. I remember during season one there were plenty of posters complaining about the 'planet of the week' approach or 'filler episodes' yet I always said that perspective ignored the relationship development that was built and it was this that made the kidnapping and him leaving much more impactful.

Glad they went the CGI route with Luke as it implies that he won't get his own series or become a regular cameo character. It was perfect from the writers, they gave the fans who hated his portrayal in the sequel trilogy what they wanted but also added more background as to why Luke would be the way he was in TLJ, having likely promised many families what he promised Mando only for him to let them down.

Hopefully the show will pivot more towards Mandalore now. I loved every minute of Grogu but in his current form I think it was the right time to exit, as there wasn't much else he could bring to the story.

• Advertisement

They gave us Baby Yoda only to know now that he will be murdered by Emo Kylo Ren that's so disappointing really.

No point in wasting money on buying Baby Yoda merch now that he will end up being murdered.

He already survived one purge, who is to say he can't survive a much less targeted one?

Yeah I really enjoy the show as a sort of weekly, old-fashioned serial that are one and done stories with only the lightest of overarching plot lines.

Now there’s a sense they’re introducing characters to cue up spin-offs and ‘brand extensions’. Two-three spin-offs from an eight episode series of TV is insane. It just undermines what’s otherwise a fine Star Wars show that does what it says on the tin without fuss or nonsense. Nothing wrong with cameos from existing characters now and again in theory, but they’re quadrupling down on spin-off content already to the point of making me very wary about their overall intentions.

It’s not surprising, but can easily see Disney torching the genuine goodwill built up by this series with overexposure.

I don't see how their 'intentions' should change how you experience the show. Similar complaints are probably what I struggle to understand the most (be it Star Wars or MCU).

What difference would Fett's appearance across a few episodes be if they never announced a spin-off? Similarly, though not raised by you, what difference does it make whether a character is a cameo or a new character once it fits in naturally in the story they are telling?

When either is done smoothly, like I'd argue both were in this case, complaints seem like looking for something to complain about than actual issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wow the makers of the finale are clearly huge fans of BSG, it was incredible the similarities in style. I know a lot of people here didn't like the season but I enjoyed it, park brain at the door but nothing too stupid, overall very enjoyable. Would have preferred if they kept the tone of the show mimicking old TV/movies and just not show Luke from the front. The bad CGI did take me out of the brain parked moment but a minor issue overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I loved this season easy the best star was releated stuff since the originals
    It thought its been brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/rodriguez/status/1342349674334748672?s=21

I’m glad that Disney didn’t go full on special effects for baby yoda. Its nice to see they had fun on set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Google have an AR (Augmented Reality...I had to look it up) Grogu available free. Definitely works on newer android.
    Just Google baby Yoda, Grogu or the child then scroll down to view in 3d. If phone AR enabled then you'll be asked if to View in my space, then access permission. So you can record Grogu anywhere you like. Great for kids!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Giancarlo Esposito is lined up for Dublin Comic Con in August next year. One of their bigger guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

ixoy wrote: »
    Giancarlo Esposito is lined up for Dublin Comic Con in August next year. One of their bigger guests.

Why would he bother ? He is on so many shows/paid so much..... though up until breaking bad he was broke/out of work/suicidal... maybe he is a workaholic now/ can’t turn down a gig

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would he bother ?

Clearly it means more to him than we will ever know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why would he bother ?

Free trip to Ireland, maybe he likes it (some of them do) and even more likely, he might have it in his Disney contract that he has to do X amount of promo stuff per year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why would he bother ?

How much do they get per photo/ signature for all of 5 seconds work? Cash straight into their pocket and no one else taking a cut, plus whatever fees they get for just turning up and free flights and hotels no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why would he bother ? He is on so many shows/paid so much..... though up until breaking bad he was broke/out of work/suicidal... maybe he is a workaholic now/ can’t turn down a gig

The money he could get for a days work and a bit of travelling is nothing to be sniffed at. As one of the biggest stars at it he'd have a huge base fee, and then they usually charge for autograph, pics etc too.

Yeah, he'd be paid a decent amount for most of the shows he's on, but when you balance the time and effort those shows take to make, breaking it down to an hourly rate it'd probably be more profitable to do the Con.

All the big stars in America do a whole bunch of cons, both domestically and internationally. It's very easy money for the big names.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robinph wrote: »
    How much do they get per photo/ signature for all of 5 seconds work? Cash straight into their pocket and no one else taking a cut, plus whatever fees they get for just turning up and free flights and hotels no doubt.

I mean even at a guess I'd say ten for just a signed photo, 30-40 for a photo with them. The organisers might take a small cut to organise security, camera, printing etc, but even then the star would take the bulk of it, and thats all outside their fee for doing it in the first place (plus as you say, probably includes travel & accommodation).

robinph wrote: »

Jewel Staite who played Kaylee on Firefly has said she makes more money from Comic Cons than she every did acting and has turned down guest roles on shows because they got in the way of Con appearances.

The Walking Dead main cast can get anywhere up to $200k for a Con weekend.

There is huge money to be made at Con's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

CramCycle wrote: »
    Wow the makers of the finale are clearly huge fans of BSG, it was incredible the similarities in style. I know a lot of people here didn't like the season but I enjoyed it, park brain at the door but nothing too stupid, overall very enjoyable. Would have preferred if they kept the tone of the show mimicking old TV/movies and just not show Luke from the front. The bad CGI did take me out of the brain parked moment but a minor issue overall.

Yeah was definitely thinking Cylons lol.

But what a show, great second season. A very solid show.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Didn't know he was suicidal, delighted it has worked out for him. Breaking Bad, Star Wars and The Boys is some resume for cons and they will be a handy earner for life for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's been acting since the 80's and it was only by the time he got to 'Breaking Bad' that people took notice. That's an awful lot of rejection slips to handle.

However, I always take these "I was suicidal" utterances from actors with a huge pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Penn wrote: »
    30-40 for a photo with them

Higher!!! I had tickets for last March's show and from what I remember the advance booking for photos with Abraham from the Walking Dead were being sold in the 50-60 bracket!

He worked constantly since the early 80's on Stage, TV and Film he really hasn't been out of work much if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If you google Grogu, The Child or Baby Yoda on your phone, you can get an AR version of him, if you want to take photos of him in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Tony EH wrote: »
    He's been acting since the 80's and it was only by the time he got to 'Breaking Bad' that people took notice. That's an awful lot of rejection slips to handle.

However, I always take these "I was suicidal" utterances from actors with a huge pinch of salt.

He did a podcast, I think WTF, talking about it, he seemed very genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Higher!!! I had tickets for last March's show and from what I remember the advance booking for photos with Abraham from the Walking Dead were being sold in the 50-60 bracket!

I was at the emerald garrisons SW con in citywest about 10 years ago and it was €50 to get a photo with Kenny Baker r2d2.
    think it was €20 just to pic up a pre signed photo of himself
    absloutely crazy money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally catching up on this and hit Episode 7; very solid and in terms of action set pieces the best so far this year - then again I'm a sucker for a good punch up atop a moving vehicle. As always you gotta step back and admire the production levels here that brought the fight scene to life.

And while it doesn't come up often, I do like it when the stories touch on how meaningless the whole Rebels v. Empire battles can mean to those on the fringes or bottom end of the galactic pecking order. I doubt the universe will ever go full mythbusting but it's a refreshing change of pace.

Not sure how I feel about Boba Fett returning; was never that mad into the character beyond liking the admittedly iconic armour so his presence here leaves me a little cold - brining back Temura Morrison is a great move though. And I had to laugh in Episode 6 when I could easily spot which Fett was Morrison and which the stunt person: the clue being the belly that kept appearing & disappearing :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

pixelburp wrote: »
    Finally catching up on this and hit Episode 7; very solid and in terms of action set pieces the best so far this year - then again I'm a sucker for a good punch up atop a moving vehicle. As always you gotta step back and admire the production levels here that brought the fight scene to life.

And while it doesn't come up often, I do like it when the stories touch on how meaningless the whole Rebels v. Empire battles can mean to those on the fringes or bottom end of the galactic pecking order. I doubt the universe will ever go full mythbusting but it's a refreshing change of pace.

Not sure how I feel about Boba Fett returning; was never that mad into the character beyond liking the admittedly iconic armour so his presence here leaves me a little cold - brining back Temura Morrison is a great move though. And I had to laugh in Episode 6 when I could easily spot which Fett was Morrison and which the stunt person: the clue being the belly that kept appearing & disappearing :D

Get off boards and watch episode 8! I've watched it about 3 or 4 times now, it'll go down as one of my all time favourites.

Advertisement